Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gay Guides Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

a-447

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by a-447

  1. I have recently returned from Beijing, on my second visit. I have to say, the people were very friendly and helpful. They seemed much nicer than the Chinese I've seen in Japan on those package tours. Also, the streets are very clean with no litter in sight. I just wish they'd stop spitting. I was worried about internet censorship but it was not a problem, as I had global roaming from my Australian telco. Everything goes through Sydney first and bypasses Chinese censorship. I'm now considering another Chinese trip. I had a great time.
  2. How long did you live in Japan, joizy? And how proficient are you at speaking / reading Japanese?
  3. Joizy, why don't you try your luck at the gay cinema in Ueno? I've had some great times there.
  4. 島国根性 (shimaguni konjou) is an expression you will often hear when Japanese talk about their attitude to the outside world. It translates as 'Island country mentality' and refers to the insularity and closed-mindedness which results from living on islands which have no borders with other countries. This leads to a feeling of exclusivity and a reluctance to accept others who are not part of this exclusive group. It perfectly explains their attitude to foreigners.
  5. As a chocolate fanatic, I'll put these places on my to - do list. BTW, I steer clear of chocolate fountains, as a chef once told me that they mix the chocolate with oil to make it flow freely. Yuk!!!
  6. "I remember on one of my first visits to Japan I was tryng to find the famous Sony Building not far from the Ginza. Politely i asked a Japanese couple. There was the customary intake of breath followed by a brief conversation. They then pointed me in the direction. I thanked them. Only they had sent me in competely the wrong direction." Oh, this is so true! The only people you can rely on for proper directiions are the policenen sitting in the koban -police boxes. Google maps is not perfect but is still useful in Japan. As Peter points out, areas are divided into blocks and you look at lamp posts to see what block you are in. Unfortunately, the blocks are not contiguous, so block 2 is not necessarily next to blocks 1 and 3, so you really need to ask someone. If they live there, they'll generally point you in the right direction. The problem of finding an exact address is also exacerbated by the fact that houses are not numbered in order along the street, and 2 of more houses can have the same number! The numbers are assigned based on when the house was built, so if 2 houses go up at the same time, they will have the sane number and may be nowhere near each other in the street. I don't think this system is still used in newer developments.
  7. Everything works perfectly in Japan, as long as the rules are followed to the letter and nothing unexpected happens. If not, they fall into a heap and nobody really knows what to do in order to make a decision. I've often said that if they ever got their shit together, they'd rule the world. The education system is largely to blame.
  8. I don't remember seeing a machine there. Everyone just paid at the counter.
  9. The problem of the weight of the aircraft was exacerbated by the high temperature of 40 degrees.
  10. a-447 replied to davet's topic in Gay Brazil
    No. That's a given!
  11. I last saw him perform at a Royal Command concert in front of Queen Elizabeth. He looked terrible and didn't seem to know where he was. He had no idea how to address the Queen, so he introduced his song saying: 'This is for you.....queenie'. Oh, dear!
  12. a-447 replied to davet's topic in Gay Brazil
    I stand corrected. Apparently Gabriel Coimbra is Brazilian.
  13. No. I found him - or at least, his link to his OF. https://onlyfans.com/kurtsadams I also found a link where he jokingly tells his parents not to click on the link!
  14. I saw the bbc interview. He came across as a little shy and more than a little embarrassed. But very likeable. And very handsome indeed! I'm presuming he's gay. I also think he should just concentrate on the Olympics - the money he's made so far should cover the costs. But when the games are over, he should go straight back on OF and make a fortune. Great cock, btw.
  15. a-447 replied to davet's topic in Gay Brazil
    I think Gabriel Coimbra is named after the city of Coimbra in Portugal.
  16. Just about everywhere I went in Japan and China on my recent trip used qr codes - for every thing, not just menus. Restaurants in Japan use either a qr code, or you order from an ipad.I can't remember when I last used a physical menu in Japan, although I used to prefer them. I like eating dinner in an 'izakaya', which is a pub-style establishment where you order lots of small dishes. A qr code allows you to keep track of what you've ordered. To pay the bill you simply scan the code and walk out. One of my favourite places to eat is Kura Sushi. I'm not a fan of sushi and don't eat raw fish, but Kura sells all kinds of small dishes. You never interact with staff members. (They are lurking in the background in case you have a question.) Once you get used to it, it all makes sense.
  17. I'm surprised to read about the unfriendly attitude of the guys at reception. I've always found them pleasant to deal with.
  18. a-447 replied to Olddaddy's topic in Gay Japan
    Not a chance!
  19. I was planning to spend a week at the Marina Bay Sands a couple of years ago. I quickly changed my mind when I found out you had to reserve a time slot to use the pool! The only times available for me were early in the morning when I'm usually still in bed. So I'm glad to hear it's not all that it's cracked up to be. It seems I dodged a bullet. Peter, I'm surprised to hear Cathay Pacific asked you for a review. I've travelled on them for years - the latest being last month - and have never been asked. Maybe it's something new. The tour guide who took us around The Forbidden City in Beijing asked for a review, which I happily provided. Competition among the guides seems to be fierce. But by and large, I don't bother writing reviews.
  20. a-447 replied to Olddaddy's topic in Gay Japan
    Probably not much! Japan is not Thailand.
  21. a-447 replied to Olddaddy's topic in Gay Japan
    Yes. They are present at tourist sites. It's hard work, so the guys are all young and fit. Many are drop-dead gorgeous. I saw them in Kyoto last month and was tempted. The view from behind would be very erotic indeed, especially as some wear short white pants. Yum!!!! But the wait for a ride was too long.
  22. What? My home city of Perth is bidding for the Gay Games? That's news to me. How come I've never heard about this?
  23. That's right. Definitely NOT the Australian culture. I'm still sometimes shocked at the way people speak to each other here. I guess if I haven't gotten used to it by now, I never will. I just smile and remain silent.
  24. No, I'm not. Peter, I know you will understand this, maybe better than most. I was brought up in a culture where you refrain from expressing negative opinions of others. You are perfectly free to think what you want, but be careful what you say, at it could offend the listener. When I joined these discussion boards I was stunned by some of the vitriol aimed at me on account of the opinions I expressed. This was a new, and unwelcome, experience for me. I fought back but found it exhausting and basically a waste of time. So I stopped posting my objections on the open board and dealt with it by private message. And that is how I would have dealt with your situation. I should have made my point clearer.
  25. Peter, I'm sure you are aware that I have probably been one of your greatest fans over many years. Your knowledge and experience of life in Asia over the decades is unparalleled. As such, I've lived vicariously through many of your posts and always looked forward to the next one, be it a travelogue, a sexcapade or an opinion. Unfortunately, this latest post of yours is not one of them.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.