Guest Motel69

What's the going rate for a taxi brom Bangkok to Pattaya?

I probably used Mr Toom at least 20 times and was quite happy for most of that time.  Then I got a rat trap of a car with no shocks that made the ride miserable. No problem it happens. Told Mr. Toom make sure I never see that car again.  Next trip driver nowhere to be found and as usual Mr Toom never answers his phone. Driver showed up 30 minutes late. Again it happens but I am upset when you cannot get someone on the phone at 11pm which of course is prime arrival time for flights at the airport.

One more chance . Same rat trap of a car shows up to take me to BKK city. 3 strikes and you are out with me.

Don't doubt someone else might never have had anything go wrong with Mr. Toom.  I did not either for about 17 trips.

Guest Motel69

as for heavy luggage remember this old traveller's advice  '' take half of things and twice as much money"

I just ove this idea. I'm gonna try to heed it as much as possible and then post updates as to how I managed.

Thanks!

I just ove this idea. I'm gonna try to heed it as much as possible and then post updates as to how I managed.

Thanks!

There are those who visit short time and pride themselves on how little they bring with them.But others who stay for months find it best to stock up on supplies that are difficult to find in Thailand or other items . For me, if in Economy I bring 100lbs/45kg, if Biz Class 200lbs/90kg. A car/driver is my only option.

How late were they?

As long as they are just a few minutes late, once in 30 times is a pretty good record.

If you come close to missing the flight, that's another matter.

As I recall (and this is sketchy, as it was a minor issue at the time and at least 10 years ago) the guy was 10 - 15 minutes late.  

As I recall (and this is sketchy, as it was a minor issue at the time and at least 10 years ago) the guy was 10 - 15 minutes late.  

That's OK for 1 time in 30.  

They have unexpected traffic problems as well and most people should leave more margin when getting to an airport.

If they are regularly 15 minutes late, that's another thing.

Nevertheless, I think it makes sense to find contact details for a couple of reliable Pattaya taxi companies as a back up?

I found train connection from airport to city working nicely. Admitted my flight to BKK arrived at the morning 8:30 which I liked a lot. Maybe trains stop working late night, don't know. But trains seem to work reliably. Same cannot be said of road traffic. And somehow I always feel uneasy lonely in a taxi in countries where drivers do not always know places although pretending so, can't understand maps nor English. So. I prefer public transfer always when it is suitable for my purposes. And yes, I don't mind walking either. Contrary to many locals...

I found train connection from airport to city working nicely. Maybe trains stop working late night, don't know. 

Trains to and from airport are  running at 6 a.m. till midnight in both directions

I use taxi to and from airport only  when trains are not running

Guest alkoe

Because it was my first trip to Thailand in february this year i was very nervous, if all will work good with taxi or public transport - but it was not that problem. I was going from airport to bangkok first - normal taxi and i payed 500 baht to silom. maybe a little to much for that trip. Normally i wanted to drive with public bus to pattaya few days later - but after ordering a taxi to the nothern bus station the concierge in the hotel asked me, if i really want to go with my very heavy big suitcase and another smaller suitcase in a bus - a taxi would just cost 1.500 baht - so i agreed to go by taxi. It was a normal taxi with good air condition and a good and not crazy driver - but we had so much heavy traffic and he didn´t know the street of my hotel in pattaya and we was searching a lot - so at the end i gave him too much tip i guess - but as newbie i had and have to learn. I was more smart on my way back from pattaya to the airport in bangkok. i ordered a taxi on a small desk on second road - i was a little afraid, because they wanted 200 baht in advance - but at the end the car was very punctual (15mins earlier) - the driver was good and also not crazy (max. 120 km/h) and the car was comfortable - at the end i payed at him 800 baht - so 1.000 baht for the ride.

btw even if it not belongs to this topic - i wanna thanks all the posters here - without all the good advices from this forum my vacation would not have been half so funny as it was - 1000 thanks

PS: sorry for my poor english again - i try to get better also in this ;-)

I just came back from Bangkok and Pattaya November 10th to 21st (then Singapore and Hong Kong Nov 21 to 27, but not the point here!) and took a lot of information from this site in preparation of the trip. Thank you all for the information.

Thank you firecat69 in suggesting www.thelimopattaya.com

Worth the cost for good service at airport (considering arrival was at midnight) and going from Bangkok to Pattaya and back to airport. Good service, on time, and good vehicles (one Honda van and 2 Toyota Camry). And no worries on how to get around!

Airport to Sathorn; 800 THB inclusive of tolls

Srathron to Pattaya; 1,500 THB inclusive of tolls

Pattaya to airport; 1,200 THB inclusive of tolls and done in just over one hour as it was on a Saturday at 7h30 AM

Pretty good considering you make I just made a reservation on their website which was confirmed rapidly and there are no deposit or prepayment. All is paid to the driver. Even if it is said not taxi drivers do not expect tps, I tipped 100 THB to each one. But that is just me.

Thank you for the bars, clubs, massage informations, even if the newbie did not follow all of them tips !!!...but that is something else!! We all have to learn!!