biguyby

Warning - Sea Massage

I arrived back in Pattaya on Sunday evening after a 12 day trip to Cha Am. After unpacking I went for a nice relaxing sensual massage to Sea Massage.

I was assigned a good lookinh masseuer named Joe with longish hair and a sort of pony tail on top of his head.

I undressed and headed for the shower remembering as I ckased the door I was wearing a non watrproof watch. I got back to the room just in time to see Joe zipping up my shorts he explained

"I put you wallet in pocket it fall on floor"

Yeah, right, it was ziped up in my shorts pocket and underneath my shirt on the chair when I went to the shower.

I did a check I had 1700 baht in notes when I arrived and some coins I know this because I had checked to make sure I had enough for the massage and tip, there was 200 baht missing not a lot of money but still a theft and a betrayal of trust. I dressed and left immediately to a lot of jeers from the boys who Joe had given his story to.

I will never go back there again so they have lost a regular customer.

Unfortunately, you learned a lesson the hard way.  NEVER leave your wallet or any other valuables unattended or out of your sight.  If you're going to be someplace where you will be taking a shower, take a plastic bag with you, put your wallet and valuables inside, and take it in with you.  If all you lost was 200 baht, you were lucky.  Even if the boy was telling the truth, why should you trust him or leave any temptations within easy access?

1 I understand the OP boycotting the business.

2 The theft alone is would be insufficient for me to show solidarity with the OP and boycott Sea massage.  Boycotting the individual masseur is fair enough.

• Can we blame the entire business just because of one bad apple, particularly if the theft was not reported to the management.  Or was it ?
  • I kind of understand if you do not report it, however if they do not know he is stealing, they cannot be expected to fix the problem. So they cannot be blamed until they receive reports. 
  • If they get more than one report of theft and do nothing about it, that would be the time to boycott the whole business.

However, the boys jeering is highly unsatisfactory.   That's a potential reason to for me to also boycott the entire business.   Seems like they do not deserve the income.

If you reported it to the management and got an unsatisfactory response, that's a reason me to also boycott the entire business.

3 My trousers, wallet and phone always accompany me to the shower.  I usually forget to take a plastic bag, but there is room inside the cubicle.  If there is no space inside the cubicle, I  shower with the cubicle door open and my property on the floor outside.  I don't care who else is using their facilities. But my wallet is never out of sight.   

people should avoid going there.

I both agree and disagree.  If I had been victimized or jeered at, certainly I would never return.  But boycotting or voting with your feet might not help anything because boys so often move from bar to bar.  Maybe they also move from massage shop to massage shop too.  I don't know.  I never go to gay massages.  If I want a massage, the easiest thing in the world is to get a Gay Romeo boy to come over.  I feel much more safe from theft and feel much more in control in my own place.  I also see no reason to be paying for use of their room.  I've got a room.

Also, a boycot won't help much unless the venue being boycotted knows why it's being boycotted.

I think the boy's story is an obvious lie, although he had to cook up some quick story when caught red handed.  The wallet just happened to fall out of the pocket and onto the floor?  Right when biguyby was in the shower?  Bullshit.  Even if that actually happened, then how did the boy know into which pocket to put the wallet?  How did a couple hundred baht magically disappear from the wallet?

I realize that biguyby reacted to the situation the way many of us would have reacted, but I wish he had gone ahead with the massage.  That way, when it came time to tip the boy, he could have said, "You've already got your tip.  You decided for yourself how much it should be." 

There are some rules I follow when I go to a venue or even have a boy come to my home.  I stated Rule 1 above and repeat it now:

1.  NEVER leave your wallet or any other valuables unattended or out of your sight.

2.  NEVER carry more cash than you'll need and/or can afford to lose.

3.  When it comes to money, trust no one.

Out of 3 Gaybutton's points I must say that I completely agree with point 3 - with money trust no one,

I practice point 2 and never carry much more cash then I expect to spent at the place and always carefully count what I have before I enter just in case

but when inside I don't care much about watching my belongings and need to say that my experience is 100 % positive, never anything missing neither  I recall boys paying any attention to my shirt or trousers hanging somewhere.

I don't use wallet at all, even at home.

When venturing out I spread cash between shirt's and trouser's pockets so is not concentrated in one place and each pocket has designated amount is supposed to be there i.e. front right 1500, front left 2000 etc- easy to count and control.

I understand biguyby decision to boycott the place  , I'd do the same if I was jeered at but not because of singular theft - boy is at fault not the place.

And by the way, where's Sea Massage ?,somehow I overlooked it 

Guest Fatfifty

Thank you for sharing your experience. Sorry this happened to you. It's good to have heads up and reminders that not every boy can be trusted. I don't think I have heard of this place but will not be seaking it out. Sadly I'm sure the boys do move around so we just have to be careful. I've been going to the same shop or 2 seeing same Massures for a long time. They do a good job and I feel safe with them. They get a nice tip each time and treat me well.

I am very happy we have this forum to share experiences. Sadly too many post still seem to be judged or graded. Biguyby is sharing his story. If you don't believe it, or don't like it. Or are not thankful for the heads up. Then silence may be a good option.

Thank you biguyby for the info. Very much appreciated.

I am very happy we have this forum to share experiences. Sadly too many post still seem to be judged or graded. Biguyby is sharing his story. If you don't believe it, or don't like it. Or are not thankful for the heads up. Then silence may be a good option.

As far as I can see, no one has judged or criticised the opening post.

No one has questioned the accuracy of it.

We are merely discussing the correct response.

I'm very happy the opening poster has shared his experiences and I'm sure that happened exactly as reported.

Most of the following debate has been discussing boycotts and theft prevention. Or other responses to the business or masseur.

I have to say, the most elegant suggestion was to take the massage & leave no tip on the grounds he had already claimed that.

Guest abang1961

I have not been to a gay massage place but after reading many happy endings and rather unpleasant reports, I have this to add:

Fold a zip-lock bag into your pocket.

When you need to shower, put your valuables into the bag.

It is transparent, waterproof and SAFE.

No amount of money, regardless of how small the amount is, should be taken away without our permission.

TS, sorry for the incident... but then again, everyone should be on high alert when engaging a casual fling/a stranger in the room.

As stated above, it's the boy not the massage place.

The boy may have already moved on and the hapless massage joint gets boycotted.

All the money advise very good.

I do know of one farang who used to leave fake gold rollex watches out and go shower. They cost him about

400b.-500b., and he felt he got off cheap if the boy slipped out with the fake and knowing the boy was a thief was an extra bonus.

There are also farangs who deliberately leave money exposed to test the boys. Some count and write down how

much baht they have, leave it out and recount afterwards. Testing far from foolproof.

Some farangs give large amounts of baht to a boy and let the boy pay for dinner, bar tabs etal. They claim it's too

confusing using baht or that they are too lazy to bother.

Guest Promsak

There are also farang who deliberately leave money exposed to test the boys.

Not a nice practice!

If the police were doing it it would be called entrapment.

here are also farangs who deliberately leave money exposed to test the boys

there are also farangs who go through  boy's pockets while boy is showering just to check contents and after that they are not shy to report that in their posts. I recall reading at least two such admissions in the last year.

so one can safely guess that  boys are guarding their belongings as much as we are guarding ours.

Reminds of an old but true story that happened here in Jomtien /Pattaya.

An older farang, call him Shiv, broke up with his Thai boyfriend. The boy was good friends with another Thai boy who was the

bf of a farang friend of Shiv.

Shiv gives the now ex-bf a tidy sum of baht and kicks him out. The Thai boy goes to his Thai friends abode, where Shiv's farang

friend lives. Shiv tells his farang buddy to take back all or some of the ex bf money when the boy sleeps or showers. He does.

Shiv thinks he's the smartest farang and brags about stealing the money, of course with justifications.

Thieving farangs lower, in my book, than thieving boys and both should be avoided.

I have never heard of Sea massage before. This is not the first time theft in a massage place is reported on the forums.

I always leave my stuff (trousers, wallet, phone, sometimes passport) unattended in the massage room and never had anything missing (but then I don't know how much money exactly I have in my wallet and don't count, I would oversee a small theft).

If boy stole mobile or passport, I would notice immediately; money, not so much. If I ever have money stolen, you will read about it!

I have never heard of Sea massage before.

I generally use them at least twice on every trip. Had a good massage every time, except the last visit.

They have small shower cubicles, so you either need to bring a plastic bag or be prepared to shower with the door open and your valuables on the floor outside.

I don't know how much money exactly I have in my wallet and don't count, I would oversee a small theft.

As careful as you are with funds that kind of surprises me, Christian!  I've never been to the place in question, but in general I personally try NOT to go into a situation like that with any more money on me than I'm OK with losing. Stuff happens, life goes on. So far it's worked for me, but I've never had anything like that happen to me... so far!

Not oversee; overlook is the right word.

Yes.   You might overlook a small theft.

However it might be one hell of a job recovering your cash, cards & phone if there was a larger theft.

However it might be one hell of a job recovering your cash, cards & phone if there was a larger theft.

why somebody would be hauling cards with him to the massage parlor where only cash is accepeted?

Sometimes we are inviting our own misfortune by carrying all and sundry with us when safety box in the room or on reception would do the job. I don't even use a wallet , less bulk , the better

I believe boys would only steal cash. On the other hand, there was a theft of a watch in a massage parlor reported last year. I would not notice theft of cash (as long as enough to pay and tip and some more is left in my wallet), but I would notice theft of mobile phone. Bank/Credit cards and passport is of no value to the thief.

I believe boys would only steal cash. On the other hand, there was a theft of a watch in a massage parlor reported last year

I still believe that boys would not steal at all, yes , there are incidents of theft but very isolated and no need to be paranoid.

At least I feel very secure in parlors and never had cash or anything stolen - I'd notice it due to way I'm distributing cash in my various pockets. Not being naive I'm checking it right after I leave just in case but so far all good. 

I'm sorry for the late response on this thread I've had some health issues and found it difficult with only having access via iPhone.

I must admit that I was really shocked at having some money stolen. Maybe it has happened before and I didn't notice. The boy in question was pretty smart in a way, I think he figured if he taken one of the 500 baht notes instead of the 200 baht I would not have had enough money left for the tip and massage so just took a little extra to boost his tip.

I suppose I have been a little naive and too trusting over the years but I honestly believe that this was the first time I have had money stolen by a boy. Ironically I would have given Joe 200 baht if he had asked me.

I once had a mix up when by accident I left 500 Philippine pesos on the bed in my room at the Lek Hotel on Second Road. I was really embarrassed the next morning when the girl (maid) thanked me for the 'tip' I had left for her.

Anyway we live and learn.

Guest LoveThailand

I believe boys would only steal cash. On the other hand, there was a theft of a watch in a massage parlor reported last year. I would not notice theft of cash (as long as enough to pay and tip and some more is left in my wallet), but I would notice theft of mobile phone. Bank/Credit cards and passport is of no value to the thief.

There is an illegal trade in passports in Thailand as reported by many sources (just google). So there is a market for them - another question if the boys have access to it or will engage in it.