TotallyOz

Legalization of Gay Marriage in USA

With the abundance of states in the USA now allowing gay marriage, I am curious if any members have attempted to bring their Thai boyfriend to the USA for immigration purposes.  

I have one friend that I know was successful in doing this but it took a very extended holiday for them.  Anyone know the process?  Best methods of success?

Not me....but am aware of a good friend (and prior poster here) who took about a year to get his Thai bf what was called a "fiancé visa" and then went to the State of Washington and got married.  A rather long and drawn out process.

Am aware of other friends who've taken their Thai boyfriends to the US for tourist purposes. 

Guest LoveThailand

A heterosexual couple had the process shortened: she came to the US on a visitor visa - and there is a privision in law that allows to marry then and there (kind of strike of love :) She got her residense permit almost immediately and will get her citizenship soon. I think this could be an option for a gay couple too  in any state recognizing gay marriage.

Well one thing for sure you can't do it in your home state of Alabama. I hate the FB team and now I have another good reason to  hate that state.

Are you sure that was your home??

Most counties in this state are now issuing marriage licenses and I could do it here if I wanted. But, I haven't lived there for 30 years so I'll pass. I much prefer New York or California.  And, haters gonna hate. :) The Alabama and Auburn football teams are 2 of the best in the nation and I love watching them every year.  In fact, they are about the only sports I do enjoy watching so for a non sports guy like me to enjoy a sporting event, it must be pretty good stuff. :)

LoveThailand, I have never heard of the speed being ramped up so fast.  I do wonder if something so quick is possible and if so, what are the conditions needed.

Guest LoveThailand

LoveThailand, I have never heard of the speed being ramped up so fast.  I do wonder if something so quick is possible and if so, what are the conditions needed.

Asked about more detail. Will report back here.

Guest LoveThailand

Abusive relationships happen irrespective of whether they are marriages or not.

But of course, thinking about marriage or civil partnership one has to consider all leagl implications and consequences.