JackR

First Bangkok Trip

Hi All

I'm travelling to Bangkok for the very first time in March with a friend. I've been reading all the postings on this forum, including Vinapu's reports and they've all been so helpful. I can't wait to go! But I wanted to get someones opinion on hotels - we wanted to splash out on somewhere really nice - we are thinking of booking a twin room at Lebua State - does anyone have any experience of this hotel? - and if there would be any issues with bringing guests back? I couldn't see any postings on this place. Or would you recommend just getting one of those short time rooms when needed instead?

J

Welcome to the forum,

It would be interested to see how such hotel treats guests, my guess would be they just turn blind eye as long as boy is dressed properly and fortunately almost all of them are, it's us farangs who are sloppy dressers in LOS.

One thing is sure - you will have a fun in BKK, wherever you stay

Sorry - We're not a couple. Just friends. Originally we were just going to get a twin room to save on costs, but at the thought of picking up guys, we were thinking of either getting separate rooms, or just sharing the twin room and renting a separate "short time" room when needed. I guess it just partly depended on the hotels attitude towards bringing guests back.

Guest priapus2000

Welcome to the forum,

It would be interested to see how such hotel treats guests, my guess would be they just turn blind eye as long as boy is dressed properly and fortunately almost all of them are, it's us farangs who are sloppy dressers in LOS.

One thing is sure - you will have a fun in BKK, wherever you stay

What is the best way for a farang to be properly dressed in Thailand?  

Guest abang1961

Honestly, the dress code depends on your age, physique and deportment.

I am a 53-going 54 Asian and I get away with a simple Polo-T-shirt and a pair of shorts - no, not those cargo ones that make us look like a square block.  I am from Singapore which is as humid as Thailand..

Actually, if you do ask me what you need to bring..... nothing much, just your first set of clothes and an extra set.  You can get almost everything you need in Thailand..at a fraction of the price you would normally pay back home... You may get yourself an entire new wardrobe in the many departmental stores and street stalls... I stock up on my year supply of underwear at Silom night's market..11 pair of undies for THB 1000 (that is less than USD 35)!.  Leather shoes, running shoes, you name it, they have it..(everywhere)... 

The only trick .. to buy or not to buy.. which of the two is better... 

Come on, boost the domestic economy of Thailand, lah!

JackR - I have stayed in the Lebua State Tower and was really disappointed. It is not the 5* experience you expect. It has a really hopeless entrance (not good for cabs) and is in an awkward location. With busy roads to cross. Rooms are satisfactory but nothing special.

My preferences would be Le Meridien (great location - next to SoinTwilight - fab rooms and no problem with joiners) or the Pullman. Both much more comfortable than Lebua which disappointed.

Dust Thani is another good 5* in good location and no joiner issues. Rooms were getting a bit faded but someone mentioned they had been refitted.

Hope that helps

Guest abang1961

#9,

Inter Continental Bangkok is ideal too..but extremely pricey.

A third off the price is the Hilton across the river..where Peninsula is..

I stayed there at the invitation  of a good friend (paid staff rates) and it is worth every penny.....

Honestly, the dress code depends on your age, physique and deportment.

I am a 53-going 54 Asian and I get away with a simple Polo-T-shirt and a pair of shorts - no, not those cargo ones that make us look like a square block.  I am from Singapore which is as humid as Thailand.. lah!

Sometimes longer trousers are more appropriate for your chosen destination, in which case some thing lightweight is preferable.  Lightweight trousers with zip off lower legs and lots of pockets work quite well. Plus a lightweight conventional pair.

I generally bring most of my clothes from home. With the exception of (probably fake) branded stuff, I don't see much price advantage for Thai clothes.  OK, there are cheap t-shirts and so on, but the quality is on a par with the cheapest products at UK discount stores. Genuine branded products seem to cost the same in Thailand as at home.

To be serious, for a change, proper evening dress in a class establishment, is long trousers (sorry no zip-off legs), a collared shirt, shoes (no sandals and flip flops) and, for a fashion statement, a nice murse (man-purse) in lieu of cargo pants.

Agree with z909 about buying clothes in Thailand. Bring all my clothes from home and would not consider the products in Thailand other than some nice underwear.

And, as an afterthought, I am skeptical of initial post. 

Guest abang1961

I did mentioned that TS needs only 2 sets of clothes - the set he wears on board the plane..probably long trousers and hoodie pullover, on top of a decent shirt and another set of clothes.  What I meant is that for every other visit to a local spa, pop-shirt and shorts should  suffice.  Unless the occasion and location calls for it, the dress code in Bangkok is pretty smart-casual.  

With regards to the quality and price of Thai goods, the beauty is to discover gems in the "Cheap" departments - a must visit is the Tokyu store at MBK... You can get relatively good quality below THB 1000...or the Central at Chitlom.  For pricer items, drop in at Terminal 21/Emporium at Sukhumvit area.... 

Back to the original post......

1 What to bring (continued). What you don't bring is a coat and so on. Even originating in a cold northern hemisphere country, a thermal vest will be enough to get you to the "home" airport, so no need to carry around any heavy clothes when in Thailand. I just got back from Heathrow by public transport with 1 thermal vest and an ultra light down body warmer (200g or so).

Pack 1 pair of sandals & wear a pair of shoes/trainers for the flight. Socks are not necessary in a warm country in Thailand.

2 As for your proposed hotel. If no one here can answer your question about bringing guests back to your room, e-mail the hotel and ask. Hotels are used to such questions.  If you plan to have overnight guests, make sure your room has a safe.

#9,

Inter Continental Bangkok is ideal too..but extremely pricey.

A third off the price is the Hilton across the river..where Peninsula is..

I stayed there at the invitation  of a good friend (paid staff rates) and it is worth every penny.....

The Intercontinental is great and I have been there at least 50 times over the years and love it. The adjacent Holiday Inn next door is also very nice and much less expensive.

The Renaissance is across the street and again very nice.  The JW Marriott is up the Soi on Soi 2 and very nice. I have never had an issue with anyone being brought back in any of those places.

If you are a pair of friends, consider some of the Executive Apartments like Marriott, Fraser Suites and the Ascott.  I have stayed at the first and the last and again, zero issues, great service and nice big apartments.

Agree with z909 about buying clothes in Thailand. Bring all my clothes from home and would not consider the products in Thailand other than some nice underwear.

I  usually buy some clothes in BKK, not because of price advantage although bargains are aplenty but because  I like something I see.

Last trip / actually only last Sunday / I bought of all things very nice down filled winter jacket at Central, Silom Centre. I did not even know they sell such things in Thailand. It came very handy when on arrival home I learned it's -8 Celsius outside. In last 4 days since arrival it worked well in frost , snow and rain.

Wonder what's next - going to Greenland to buy bikinis?