Smiles

Retiring in Thailand on the 12-mth Non Imm O-A Visa

On my return to Vancouver last week I dropped into the Thai Consulate-General office and received all the documents required to make application for the Thailand 12-month Non Immigrant Type O-A Visa.

This is not the only way to receive a Non Imm 12-month visa, but it seems to be the easiest way for my own personal circumstances: once I have it, that's it ... no cross-border nonsense every few months. Once granted the 12-month visa the only bureaucracy which should be encountered would be a visit to an immigration office or police station every 3 months to get the visa stamped. I have heard from a good and reliable friend (actually more than one) that this stamping process is pretty much a breezy formality.

This type of visa can only be obtained outside of Thailand, and even then not in every country on the planet. Canada is obviously one of the annointed, as is the US, Britain, and I'm assuming, most countries in the European Community, and 'others' (though of that I am not 100% sure). For those countries where this type of visa can be applied for, the rules below would be the same, save the visa fee which would of course be in that country's currency, but equivalent to $200 Canadian.

The Thai gentleman who seemed to be in charge at the Vancouver Consulate was most congenial and friendly and answered a lot of my questions regarding some of the perceived ambiguity in the wording of the instructions (quoted below from the Consulate's website).

The necessary forms were all together in a nice little package and he pointed out which ones required a stamp as well as a signature. The stamp rigmarole seemed very important to him and I was glad to hear this, as I would like very much to not have this stuff sent back to me for further bureaucratic chasing simply because I didn't get (or understand) the proper procedures. One only wants to go through this once.

Anyway, I thought this procedural stuff may be of interest to those on the Board who are seriouisly thinking of retiring (semi-retiring) in Thailand ... are 50-and/or-over ... have enough cash in the bank ... have the minimum monthly income ... can prove they're not a murderer or pedophile ... don't have leprosy ... and aren't already persona non grata in Thailand.

One-Year O-A Visa for Retirees

This type of visa will be issued to applicants aged 50 years or above wishing to take retreat in the Kingdom for a period of at least one year.

1. Requirements for Obtaining a One-year O-A Visa

• The applicant must be 50 years of age or older by the date of application
  • Applicants cannot be prohibited from entering the Kingdom
  • Applicants must having no criminal record against the security of

Thailand or the country of his/her nationality, or the country of his/her residence.

• Applicants must be of the nationality or resident in the country where his/her application is submitted.
  • Applicants must not have prohibitive diseases as indicated in Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535).
  • Applicants cannot be allowed to work in Thailand

2. Documents Required to Apply for a One-Year O-A Visa

• A passport valid for no less than one year and a half at the time of application
  • Three Visa Application Forms (with three passport-sized photos of the applicant taken within the past six months) certified by a lawyer or notary public.
  • A personal Data Form (i.e. "Additional Visa Application Form for "O-A" Long Stay) certified by a lawyer or notary public.

• A bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to no less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (original copy) indicating a monthly income of no less than 65,000 Baht. Alternatively, applicants can make a deposit and provide an income certificate indicating a total income of no less than 800,000 Baht a year. All financial statement must have the signature of the bank officer. Any bank statements require a letter of guarantee from the bank (original copy) as well (this document must be valid for no more than 3 months).

• A criminal record check indicating that the applicant has no criminal record in the country of his/her nationality or residence (this document must be valid for no more than 3 months).
  • A medical certificate issued from the country in which the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535) (this certificate shall be valid for no more than 3 months and must display a stamp or seal from the issuing office).
In the case that the applicant wishes to be accompanied by his/her spouse but the spouse does not meet the requirements for the O-A Visa, a marriage certificate shall also be included in the application package (The spouse will be considered for the Visa for Temporary Residents under the 'O' Code).

3. Fee for O-A Visa

CAD$200 per applicant

4. Other instructions for O-A Visa Applicants Once in Thailand

• The alien shall report to the competent authority after 90 days in the Kingdom, and report every 90 days thereafter with the immigration officer in the alien's residence area, or report to the police station in the alien's residence area if there is no immigration control there. (In order to report to the competent authority by mail, the alien shall do as follows: Forward the Report Form (To Mo 47) together with a copy of the passport pages showing the alien's photo, personal details, and the latest arrival visa stamp and include a self addressed envelop with sufficient postage affixed. This must be forwarded 7 days before the due date. This package should be mailed to the Immigration Bureau, Sathon Tai Road,

• At the end of the one-year stay, a visitor who wishes to extend his/her stay must submit a request to extend the period at the Immigration Bureau with documented evidence of money transfer, or a deposit account in the Kingdom, or an income certificate, of the amount of no less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate plus a deposit account indicating a total amount of no less than 800,000 Baht a year.

Sathon District, Bangkok 10120. In the case of conducting any following reports, the Reply Form for the previous report shall be enclosed as well.) Copies of any previous such Reports should also be included.

If the visitor's spouse wishes to extend his/her stay as well, the marriage certificate must be produced.

Hope those thinking about this will find this useful. (Posted on Sawatdee so I hope not too provocative, and the hair on GB's back doesn't stand up too straght ... just info this time :D

Cheers ...

Guest rainwalker

I too am from Canada and, in October, applied for and received the same visa mentioned

The money end has some flexibility. As I did not want to use one of my banks as a financial reference - they know too much about me already - I asked if a letter from a stockbroker where I keep my retirement account (shares and cash) would suffice and the answer was yes.

As well, the medical certificate had questions that covered several diseases including third stage syphilis and a particularly gruesome parasitic disease that my doctor said was very rare in Canada.

Interesting to some will the the fact that HIV/AIDS status is not requested nor required as that disease was removed from the prohibition list several years ago.

The whole process was very easy and the cost of the one year multiple entry visa was Cdn$200 or about 6700 baht.

Here's some info on the parasitic disease - which I had never heard of before....

Lymphatic filariasis

At least 120 million people in 73 countries worldwide are estimated to be infected with filariasis parasites. The most widespread is Wuchereria bancrofti, which affects about 100 million people in Africa, India, Southeast Asia, the Pacific islands, South America, and the Caribbean. The Brugia malayi and Brugia timori parasites affect about 12 million people in Southeast Asia.

Lymphatic filariasis is among the world's leading causes of permanent and long-term disability. The number of infected persons is increasing worldwide, due in large part to unchecked urbanization in many areas where the parasite is common.

FYI: The disease section mentioned above is as follows:

Ministerial Regulation

Number 14 (B.E. 2535)

Issued in accordance with the Immigration Act B.E. 2522

Based on article 5, article 12 (4) and article 44 (2) of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522, the Minister of the Ministry of Interior issued this Ministerial Regulation as follows:

No. 1 Repeal the Ministerial Regulation, number 11 (B.E. 2529), issued in accordance with the Immigration Act B.E. 2522.

No. 2 Diseases in accordance with article 12 (4) are:

(1) Leprosy

(2) Dangerous step of Tuberculosis (T.B.)

(3) Filariasis (Step that causes disgust to the society)

(4) Drug addiction

(5) Third step of Syphilis

No. 3 Diseases in accordance with article 44 (2) are:

(1) Leprosy

(2) Dangerous step of Tuberculosis (T.B.)

(3) Filariasis

(4) Drug addiction

(5) Alcoholism

(6) Third step of Syphilis

Given on 20th February B.E. 2535

General Issaraphong Nunphakdee

Minister of the Ministry of Interior

Note: The reason for issuing this Ministerial Regulation is that at present, the situation concerning AIDS has changed immensely. Prevention of infected aliens or those who are HIV positive into or to reside in the Kingdom has no effect on the spread of this disease within the nation. Thus, AIDS should not be set as a disease for prohibiting aliens infected with such disease to travel into or to reside in the Kingdom as in accordance with the articles 12 (4) and 44 (2) of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522.

Guest Trongpai

I had to get the medical certificate, last year, but I though now that requirement was dropped for the O-A Visa?

For me in US the medical was expensive, the dam doctor felt obligated to test for every one of those listed illness. By contrast the medical for my Thai driver's license, in Thailand, cost 100B and took 5 minuits. It would have taken less but the doctor wanted to chat.

It is very easy to do the entire process in Pattaya, IF you come in on a 60 day tourist visa. Jack from "Memories Bar" helped me fill out all the forms. I went to Immigrantion and the whole process took under 30 minutes. I was amazed at the speed and helpfulness of the Immigration staff.

They changed my 60 daytourist, to a 90 day O and then they changed that to a one year (retirement) visa with multiple entries.

Jack at Memories had all the forms on his computer. The longest part of the process was getting a letter from the American Embassy certifying that I made a certain amount of money. Once at the Embassy that process took about 40 minutes including filling out the form and going to another line to pay the fee and then back to the original line to get the letter from the notary.

I am also told that it takes just a few minutes every 90 days to report your address.

For those not aware, Memories Bar is located in Sunee Plaza. The owner Oud will make you feel at home and his 2 American friends, Jack and Ralph are very nice and enjoyable people.

Lymphatic filariasis, better known as elephantiasis, Nasty disease. The lymphatic tissue becomes swollen. In men this can mean your balls swelling to the size of footballs!

That 65,000 Baht a month minimum for a retirement visa, is that before or after tax? I assume it's after tax?

As has been said it is very easy in Pattaya. You will not need the Criminal evidence form, nor anything from your Embassy if you have money in a Thai Bank Account here just a Bank letter. I also believe the Medical Certificate is now not required, but easy at 100 baht to get one.

Arrive with an 'O' visa and go from there. One thing about Cash in Bank not mentioned is that you need the cash in Bank 3 mths BEFORE you apply and the amount in Bank at time you apply for your retirment Visa. Cost 1900 baht, re-entry visa once 1000 baht multiple entry 3500 baht done in a short time. Sign on every 90 days thereafter if out of country on due date, sign on as you arrive back. Be sure you have a re-entry visa if you go out or you start retirement visa all over again.

I had to get the medical certificate, last year, but I though now that requirement was dropped for the O-A Visa? For me in US the medical was expensive, the dam doctor felt obligated to test for every one of those listed illness. By contrast the medical for my Thai driver's license, in Thailand, cost 100B and took 5 minuits. It would have taken less but the doctor wanted to chat

There is some confusion about this. The important thing to remember is the the Type O-A visa is not available from witrhin Thailand. Only the 12-month Type O Non Imm visa can be applied for from within the country. . . and it is essentially a visa which can be changed or upgraded to a 12-month visa, from a shorter Non Imm O visa.

But the rules regarding the UPGRADE of a Non Imm visa within Thailand are somewhat different than the rules for receiving n O-A visa from outside Thailand. The medical certificate is still necessary to receive the Type O-A, but perhaps it is not necessary when UPGRADING to a 12-month visa from within Thailand. (On that point I am not sure ... not being near that yet).

As I alluded to in the original post, the 'methods" by which you receive a 12-month (retirement) visa can be different depending on whether you are applying from outside Thailand, or from within. But the bottom line is that ~ using whichever method is best for you ~ you will end up with a visa which will allow you to stay in the Kingdom for 12 months at a stretch with the only proviso being to drop into a Imm Office or cop shop to get stamped every 3 months. An at the end of the 12 month life of the visa you will have the opportunity to extend that retirement visa for another 12 months . . . and on and on and on.

Cheers ...

Guest Trongpai

But the rules regarding the UPGRADE of a Non Imm visa within Thailand are somewhat different than the rules for receiving n O-A visa from outside Thailand. The medical certificate is still necessary to receive the Type O-A, but perhaps it is not necessary when UPGRADING to a 12-month visa from within Thailand. (On that point I am not sure ... not being near that yet).

I have an O-A and will renew soon within Thailand and will post if I needed a medical or not.

the only proviso being to drop into a Imm Office or cop shop to get stamped every 3 months. An at the end of the 12 month life of the visa you will have the opportunity to extend that retirement visa for another 12 months . . . and on and on and on.

It not really a stamp. In Bangkok you go to Immigration in Sathorn distric, go to the infomation desk and tell them what you want, they give you a simple one page form, fill it in at the counter, return to the info desk, get a number, go the window marked 90 report, wait for your number to be called. When called give them your passport with the Depature Card attached. They take everything and give you another number card, and tell you to take a seat. Then in about 5 min they hold up your passbort with the second number and in it now is a small "Receipt of Notification" with the date you have to return stamped. It's all free.

One of the rules for applying for a "Retirement" Non Immigrant Visa 'was' that you have to have a Non Immigrant Visa when entering Thailand. I know because I had to fly to Penang years ago to get one.

A friend in Chiang Mai today was told by Immigration there that he could extend his 30 days to enter Thailand for touristic purposes Visa free and then apply so he did and got a Retirement Visa.

Can this be a new general rule or is it a local interpretation?

update 6th December

Correction. He was told he was getting a retirement Visa but when he went back to collect it it was a Non Immigrant Visa for 3 months. He has been told he can apply for retirement during that last month of that Visa's life.

It used to be that you had to obtain a non-immigrant "O" visa outside Thailand, then apply for a 12 month extension based on retirement showing evidence of adequate money in bank, monthly income, or a combination of both.

It appears that you can now convert a tourist visa to a non-immigrant visa "O" visa based on evidence that you qualify for the retirement "extension" of the "O" visa at Thai Immigration. Once it is converted, you must then apply for the 12 month extensiion of the visa. So, it is a two step process. A member of the Pattaya City Expats club has posted information on the process on their web site - www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com.

A friend just renewed his retirement visa (extension for another year) at Pattaya Immigration. He uses the 800,000 baht in bank rather than income to qualify. He confiremed with Pattaya Immigration that the 3 month on deposit reequirement is for the initial extension, but is not a requirement for renewal.

Once you get the 12 month extension, you can apply for a reentry permit (one time or multiple) - both expire on the ending date of the retirement visa - of course, once you use the one-time reentry permit (1,000 baht), it is necessary to get another one if you plan to leave Thailand. Leaving Thailand without a reentry permit results in cancellation of your existing visa (unless, you are using a multiple entry non-immigrant visa and return within its valid dates).

On 90 day reporting, it is a simple process - at Pattaya Immigration it takes about 5 minutes unless there are several people ahead of you (took me 20 minutes last time as I was no. 13 in line). It is a form that shows passport information and your current address. As mentioned, the bottom portion is signed and dated by Immigration and stapled into your passport -- it also shows your next reporitng date (90 days later).

A WORD OF CAUTION ON 90 DAY REPORTING -- the first repor tis required 90 days from entering Thailand (not 90 days from getting your initial retirement visa extension). It is then due every 90 days thereafter -- I had to pay a 2,000 baht fine because I wasn't aware of that fact. Address reporting is a separate process from getting visa extensions or reentry permits.

If you leave Thailand with a reentry permit, you do not have to report your address again until 90 days after your reenter Thailand - not 90 days from your last report.

Although I don't know of anyone that has had a problem, techinically, you must also report your address within 24 hours if it changes.

"A friend just renewed his retirement visa (extension for another year) at Pattaya Immigration. He uses the 800,000 baht in bank rather than income to qualify. He confiremed with Pattaya Immigration that the 3 month on deposit reequirement is for the initial extension, but is not a requirement for renewal." quote 2iz2p

Thanks for that info. It's good to know the latest rules. What on earth is it supposed to achieve. I think the idea was to stop people borrowing the money and only having it in the bank for a short time. If they only ask for that once then it does not achieve much.

One thing on the 90 day reporting rule. When you leave Thailand and re-enter you don't then have to report for 90 days from the date of arrival.

"

One thing on the 90 day reporting rule. When you leave Thailand and re-enter you don't then have to report for 90 days from the date of arrival.

Wowpow, I'm assuming your coment above is confirming the information I had in my post as follows:

If you leave Thailand with a reentry permit, you do not have to report your address again until 90 days after you reenter Thailand - not 90 days from your last report.

I returned from the USA on 12 September and just reported my address on 4 December, whereas 90 days from my last address reporting was iin mid-October. Since I was within 90 days of latest arrival in Thailand, there was no problem.

" ... If you leave Thailand with a reentry permit, you do not have to report your address again until 90 days after you reenter Thailand - not 90 days from your last report. I returned from the USA on 12 September and just reported my address on 4 December, whereas 90 days from my last address reporting was iin mid-October. Since I was within 90 days of latest arrival in Thailand, there was no problem ... "

Now that's good to know . . . it was an issue I had been wondering about. My trips home will be ~ on average ~ 3-4 months at a time, putting it over the 90-day window for reporting.

Thanks 2lz2p & cheers ...

PS ... and thanks everyone for the excellent discussion. This has been a good thread.