floridarob

Heading to BKK- 1st time in 3 years- A few questions

I've been to Thailand many times over the last 20 years but haven't been in the last 3 years (been busy elsewhere ;-)

Few questions I have are what's the going rates for, off fee, short time, long time... massage place rates and tips.... freelancer rates

Also silly me, I haven't paid attention to Martial Law, just read somethings here... how different are things and what is different (reminds me of when I went to Morocco during Ramadan, won't do that again)

Thanks for your help/advice

This poll should tell you more than a single person's opinion.

http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/topic/9318-poll-going-rate-for-tips-in-bangkok-gogo-bars/?hl=bangkok

That was done one year ago, so add something for salary inflation.  My guess would be 5%.

Remember whatever you pay, some always ask for more. That's good business sense in a city where there is a high turnover of customers & they have nothing to lose.  After you don't pay it, they're still clamouring for your business the next night.

The last BKK freelancer I hooked up with in 2013 mentioned 1000 as his opening offer before meeting.  

Now Firecat & a few others should have some more up to date ideas.

Regards to martial law, there has been no impact on tourists or the lives of expats here, so enjoy your visit. The changes regarding nightlife you have been reading about cannot be directly attributed to martial law. If you have insurance you might want to check your policy if there are restrictions because you are visiting a country under martial law.

I spend most of my trips in Pattaya which does not get affected by political trouble, although the curfews were a nuisance.

Prices tend to be lower in Pattaya but there has been some inflation over the last few years. For long time I tend to pay 2000 and for short time 1200/1300 whereas 3 years ago I recall generally paying 1500 LT. Gayromeo is popular in Pats with the advantage of no off fee. Ive only occasionally been asked for more cash but my "boyfriends du jour" are very astute at bidding up there income by asking for small gifts like jeans.

Guest LoveThailand

Get on GR, line, grindr and jack'd - tons of contacts/offers within minutes.

Buy a local sim card and get a local number.

Worked for me perfectly on my last visit 2 weeks ago.

I've been to Thailand many times over the last 20 years but haven't been in the last 3 years (been busy elsewhere ;-)

Few questions I have are what's the going rates for, off fee, short time, long time... massage place rates and tips.... freelancer rates

Also silly me, I haven't paid attention to Martial Law, just read somethings here... how different are things and what is different (reminds me of when I went to Morocco during Ramadan, won't do that again)

Thanks for your help/advice

Off fees from 300-400  ( soi 6, some bars in soi Twilight  ) to 650 / Dreamboys

Short time 1500 expected but you may bargain it down according to some recent report including convearsation Christian overheard in Screwboys on Tuesday - see his blog.

Long time 2500,  may be more  with boys from more popular places , if boys  are hungry may go for 2000 , again try to bargain down if so inclined.

massage , oil from 500 / hr at soi Twilight places and many others to 1500 for 2 hrs at Hero

tip for massage with sexual overtones from 500 with just a hand job or masseur naked but not much more than that to 2000 in more upscale places like VClub , Senso or Prime with 1.5 -2 hr massage and full service whatever you guys agree on

Freelancers from 500 at Saranrom to 1000 ,  may be more on weekend night on Suriwong.

Those are from my personal experience last year and quotations on various boards I'm gathering in anticipation of incoming trip and hopefully spending spree LOL.

As for marshal law so far only changes in BKK is that soi Twilight boys are not in underwear  but wearing jeans. Not necessarily bad thing as some may find this attire more sexy, specially if boys will became creative with strategically placed openings here and there.

Possible occasional interruptions as commotion reported yesterday in Sukhumvit massage places which were forced to close for  a day but there's always opposite side of street to venture in.

Floridarob...nothing has changed, 3 years is no time at all in Thai years, basically everything is just the same. Ok maybe some agogo's in Soi Twilight may be another 50 or 100 baht for a drink/entrance but that's about it. The only thing that might change is 'expectations' but reality soon sorts that out!

In Issan the situation hasn't changed significantly in a decade never mind 3 years.

A decade ago it cost me Bt1000 for a taxi from Airport to Pattaya, last trip was Bt1000.

Short time a decade ago was Bt1500 in Bkk and Bt1000 IN Pattaya.....same

Long time a decade ago was Bt2000 in Bkk and Bt1500 in Pattaya......same.

Sex in a standard gay massage shop Bt1000 a decade ago...now? Bt1000.  

Even these levels are 'negotiable' if so inclined.

OH!! one significant change!! DJ Station has gone up! Bt100>Bt150!!  

Military coup?  In reality nothing has changed...the rich get richer the poor remain as is. Some 'tinkering' here and there with this and that......as I say nothing has changed. 

What I really mean is any slight increases in taxi rates, BTS, goods, services etc etc..will hardly be noticeable. Nothing significant.

Guest LoveThailand

Floridarob...nothing has changed, 3 years is no time at all in Thai years, basically everything is just the same. Ok maybe some agogo's in Soi Twilight may be another 50 or 100 baht for a drink/entrance but that's about it. The only thing that might change is 'expectations' but reality soon sorts that out!

In Issan the situation hasn't changed significantly in a decade never mind 3 years.

A decade ago it cost me Bt1000 for a taxi from Airport to Pattaya, last trip was Bt1000.

Short time a decade ago was Bt1500 in Bkk and Bt1000 IN Pattaya.....same

Long time a decade ago was Bt2000 in Bkk and Bt1500 in Pattaya......same.

Sex in a standard gay massage shop Bt1000 a decade ago...now? Bt1000.  

Even these levels are 'negotiable' if so inclined.

OH!! one significant change!! DJ Station has gone up! Bt100>Bt150!!  

Military coup?  In reality nothing has changed...the rich get richer the poor remain as is. Some 'tinkering' here and there with this and that......as I say nothing has changed. 

What I really mean is any slight increases in taxi rates, BTS, goods, services etc etc..will hardly be noticeable. Nothing significant.

So - finally. This pretty much sums it up - no reason for threads and threads of bitching about how LoS changed for worse. Thank you! :)

Average tip I paid the massage boys was 1500 (at Bonny and Hero), I had some good massages and got nicely shagged for that price and reckon it was a good deal all round (most enjoyable too). Come January and I'll be back into it

The gay sex tourist seems to have done well over the last few years price wise. According to what I read on str forums the prices paid to girls has escalated considerably. Apparently long time with a gogo girl from Walking St is now a minimum of 3000 and the off fee is generally 1000. This seems like about twice what we pay.

There is another factor influencing the economics of a trip to Thailand which is the exchange rate for baht. Not so long ago it was 70 to the Brit pound but now for my January holiday it looks like being 50, although it has been as low as 44. However when I'm in bed with a boy this does not occupy my mind a great deal !.

Guest ronnie4you

When i started going to Bangkok, 300 was the going rate- 400 for a special time. In past visits, I have paid 1500, but it would seem that now that might be too low. I hate being on the low side if I have had a really good time. Masseurs have been a little less, but to me, it much the same service. Especially when the guy works hard to please. I guess that this question will always be coming up as long as prices are not standardized and guys continue to differ on what to pay.

I have never tipped less than Bt1000 at massage, if the guy is naked, kisses, and BJ/HJ included Bt1000 should always be minimum/standard. I also have never discussed either the tip or expected 'service' at a massage place in my life, I just let the thing run it's course, I have never not had a happy ending of some kind or other. Hate it when punters try to be tight with tips at massage trying to get away with Bt500 or less than Bt1000.

I agree with every single word above and this is my practice as well,  even in places like Soi Twilight or Arena which state minimum tip at less than 1000 / 500-700 /.

My minimum requirement is  guy naked and I was able to tough his cock, as with your experience something sexual always come even from straightest boys in supposed straight places., sometimes in deep conspiracy for added thrill. I let them to take a lead and see what happens. This is part of fun for me.

Massage is hard physical work and I believe too that min .1000 is well deserved.

To spoil the market and myself I have personal bonus system - if boy is undressing and is sporting hardon already before  we even started session  I give him 500 extra and tell him why. 

Another advantage of soi Twilight massage places is that one can ogle boys without pressure as they are parked outside and well visible to diners at either Maxi's or Dick Cafe.  This is for those who don't like Senso/Arena/FanClub style of selection from line-up 

I have never tipped less than Bt1000 at massage, if the guy is naked, kisses, and BJ/HJ included Bt1000 should always be minimum/standard. I also have never discussed either the tip or expected 'service' at a massage place in my life, I just let the thing run it's course, I have never not had a happy ending of some kind or other. Hate it when punters try to be tight with tips at massage trying to get away with Bt500 or less than Bt1000.

There are massages and their are massages. 

If the guy is naked, & includes BJ and kisses,  I agree with you on 1000 baht,

However, when I go for a massage, I want a proper massage, so I go to a proper massage shop.  This includes at most a massage, HJ and he might drop his trousers. No kissing, no BJ. For that, in my experience the BKK masseurs either leave it to the client to decide a tip or they suggest 500.  I pay 500.  

When I want more than that, it's would be in the hotel & the tip is increased accordingly.

Vinapu, nice to see you are generous when engaging in sexual activity with masseurs, however.......and it's just being kinda 'picky' I don't agree that a fit young Thai guy should find giving a massage as being 'hard, physical' work. Hard physical work from my experience (as an onlooker) is 6 hours planting/cutting rice in searing heat up in Issan, or 8-12 hours shelf filling at 7-11/Tesco Lotus or a 12 hour shift at a Navanakorn Industrial estate, now that is 'hard, physical work'! Sitting around for 6 hours of an eight hour shift with and hour of kneading the body of a customer is not.

The part however that to me deserves a reasonable tip is not any physical exertion, it's having to engage in intimate, sexual activity with someone you have not chosen yourself as a preference.

For that very same reason I have to respectfully disagree with z909, any 'trouser dropping' or intimate sexual act even HJ to me should be worth minimum Bt1000. Here is an attractive young lad attending to your sexual needs, a HJ is still an intimate experience. If a masseur asked for only Bt500 I would still give Bt1000. But that's just how I personally feel about such things.

On the comment about masseurs leaving it to the client, in my own personal experience in massage shops Bkk,Phuket and Pattaya that has happened 100% of the time, I have never asked or been asked for a specific tip, but if they do leave it to the client I would think many/most would be disappointed with Bt500 for engaging in any sexual content with a foreigner.   

Vinapu, nice to see you are generous when engaging in sexual activity with masseurs, however.......and it's just being kinda 'picky' I don't agree that a fit young Thai guy should find giving a massage as being 'hard, physical' work. Hard physical work from my experience (as an onlooker) is 6 hours planting/cutting rice in searing heat up in Issan, or 8-12 hours shelf filling at 7-11/Tesco Lotus or a 12 hour shift at a Navanakorn Industrial estate, now that is 'hard, physical work'! Sitting around for 6 hours of an eight hour shift with and hour of kneading the body of a customer is not.

No dispute here, my choice of words was sloppy, what I had in mind was compare to bar boys , massage boys are working much harder.

On 1000 baht minimum I'm with you as stated.

From my experience In gay massage places tip was never mentioned but in straight ones, like those lining Silom on both sides in few cases when my hand wandered where was not supposed to be compensation was mentioned and gladly paid , I haste to add. 

Well, I'm also going to have to respectfully disagree with Newlaan.

A HJ is not equivalent service to kissing, oral or full sex, so there is no reason to consider equivalent tips.  The masseur needs to get no closer to the client than in the standard massage.

In "proper" massage establishments, they often mention a figure before any HJ and that is invariably 500.

To pay over 3x the Thai daily minimum wage merely for a HJ is generous.

If more service is provided, fine, pay 1000 (or more if appropriate).

As for the rain, the forecast I'm reading is showing dry weather in Bangkok from Saturday onwards. Back to normal for December. 

Well, I'm also going to have to respectfully disagree with Newlaan.

A HJ is not equivalent service to kissing, oral or full sex, so there is no reason to consider equivalent tips.  The masseur needs to get no closer to the client than in the standard massage.

In "proper" massage establishments, they often mention a figure before any HJ and that is invariably 500.

you may have  a point as on few occasions I noticed that HJ is considered part of whole massage  experience. Arena even put this in writing on their webste ' shower, massage and a hand job " 

There's no question of agreement or disagreement as we have different needs and priorities and obviously everybody will place different price tag on services received.

Some are looking for just a massage and will not care much about extra circular activities  and other will not care about massage at all while  looking just for an action. Most are somewhere in between those extremities.

I personally place big premium on kissing, showering together where suitable and boy being naked at least for most part of massage and don't care about  HJ, BJ, oral  and full -on sex as those have place in the my room IMHO and tip accordingly  to those points.

But somebody  else may not feel generous if HJ was absent or unsatisfactory or something else missing so really there's no way we can agree as of what warrants increase in tip and probably boys are in the same situation i.e.one may consider extra 500 for letting client to blow him generous tip and another may be dissapointed with the same amount.

There was indeed heavy rain yesterday night (Thursday 04.12.2014), and light rain a few days ago.

While massage is not physically hard work, it it requires training (whereas rice farming or construction work does not require much training, I imagine). But not all boys who work in the shops I frequent have that training. I encountered boy are good at neither massage nor happy ending. Nonetheless, I tip 1000 for happy ending massage, but can see justification for 500 and am tempted sometimes (you know, I am a cheapskate).

It's kind of unjust: my favorite massage boy (great body, good massage, good happy ending) gets 1000, and others who I take only once because they were reluctant to undress and let me touch them get 1000 as well. 

One boy I have seen a few times has limited massage skills (it quickly becomes repetitive, lying on the table and the same strokes over and over again), happy ending is ok, and a great body. Going to his shop again will bring the same as before (there is high potential, but we will fall into the same rut). He has no mobile phone (really!), otherwise I would order him to my room (I am sure he can sneak out from the shop in the afternoon when there are few customers, I'm not going to pay an off fee to the massage shop.).