Always look on the bright side of life......

always look for good side of things, the same goes with technological change.

This quote deserves it's own thread.

Here we are, living in what has probably been the best era in history.  Many of us have enjoyed comfortable lifestyles that would have been unthinkable a century ago.  Such lifestyles will most probably be unthinkable a century into the future as well. I'm not sure what fuel the planes will run on for a start.

Positive trends (examples):

Internet dating

Sharing of, er, arty photos on the internet.

Wide availability of cameras encouraging self pics (sometimes in the bathroom)

Easy to research & book travel on the internet (or reasearch just about anything)

Negative trends

Fewer people on the beach

Swim shorts replacing speedos (hopefully the fashion cycle will correct this)

Your overnight guest can be distracted by his phone

Also, things continue to evolve.  For example, Jack D seems to be gaining market share at the expense of Gay Romeo. Smart phones are now everywhere and on a phone, Jack D seems to work much better.

On balance, I'm prepared to enjoy the positives.  What positive and negative trends do you notice?

Any change brings good and bad things and our comfort zone due to changes in technology is expanding and shrinking at the same time.

Easiness and speed of communication is what I like. Thanks to internet more and more boys can communicate in English and even basic level helps to personalize encounters. Easy to get and verify information , find and grade places to sleep , shop,  eat and entertain.

Negative trends I see are

1. migration to info-sphere / somebody reported recently that boy was trying to be on the I-pad even during bed activities/,

2. easiness to  spread misleading and false information.

I  may not be happy with bar selection / nothing to look at /  or boy performance / dud / and post negative comments and some will tend to take my word  while in fact it was just me who  did not like  boys on stage  because they were skinny waifs, exactly ones  somebody else may be salivating about and what is dud for me may be  not be an problem for other because he is not conversationalist and can do not off long time for example. 

3. and foremost, because of technology we can be spied all the time. We may be anonymous to each other here but when somebody needs to find us it will be very easy. Hitler and Stalin would be happy to have today's technology,  not just us.

I still firmly believe in what z909 said above  - we have it very good . Just for fun I just checked - if I fancied,  in 12 hours I can board the plane and 24 hours later find myself being mutilated by BBB Inn massage boy, 

Let's not forget modern medicine and heating or aircon (depending where you live).

I would say the average member of this board leads a better life than Louis XIV, I four sure would not want to change and be king of France 300 years ago compared to the life I am leading now.

this is exactly what crossed my mind last year when visiting Vinamek on very hot May day, thank God I'm not a king 100 years ago with all that heat and no A/C

Have no idea about Vinamek, however King Louis of France allegedly enjoyed the company of many mistresses.

One thing is sure, in the last 40 years or so, the western middle classes have had many more opportunities than their predecessors.

In earlier eras, perhaps kings, the upper classes or people posted out to colonies might have enjoyed a few privileges.  I don't think that would have been widespread.

Have no idea about Vinamek, however King Louis of France allegedly enjoyed the company of many mistresses.

Maybe, but there was no treatment for sexually transmitted diseases. Or the treatment was inefficient or the side effects as bad as the disease. I wouldn't trade modern medicine for all the sex any king could have had.

I'm not so sure. Thanks to the advances of modern medicine, far too many people end up as human vegetables, spending their last years or even decades hibernating at some dreary retirement home. Given the choice between that fate and having a lot of sex but also having to die at a sexually active age from an STD, I'd be willing to travel back in time to be crowned King of France.

Since I don't really have that choice, my best bet is leading a somewhat unhealthy lifestyle (to be clear, I'm not talking about having unprotected sex, what I mean specifically is: strictly no sports, deliberately living in a polluted place like Bangkok, tasty food trumps healthful food, a night out boozing trumps drinking beetroot juice) and not taking members of the medical profession too seriously.

I'm not so sure. Thanks to the advances of modern medicine, far too many people end up as human vegetables, spending their last years or even decades hibernating at some dreary retirement home. 

you toughed very  valid point and serious problem which  many of us witnessed and plenty will experience themselves in due course, perish the thought.

But still most of us prefer getting old to an alternative of dying young and for that we should be thankful for medicinal progress.

I'm with Christian on this one

Thought King Louis made it to 77.....although by then his grandson was next in line? I will take the medical advances myself. Plus the planes, trains, automobiles, internet and gogo bars.

Yeah I was being overly dramatic, the Middle Path usually works best and I think that's also the case with the blessings of modern medicine. On the one hand, I'm happy that I don't have to die from a very trivial illness at a young age, but on the other hand, if three out of my four grandparents are any indication, I could probably do without the last 5-10 years of my (so projected) life span. ;)