GoldMember

Japan, Taipei, Vietnam, Philippines and Cambodia Aug-Sep 14 report

You are right, airport pick up and guide price was rip off compare to what's available but I guess those prices are in sync with what you pay for an accommodation. If you are sleeping in 20 $ hotel , they likely arrange for 3-4 $ airport pick up and   15$ sightseeing. So don't feel ripped off, prices went with territory.

Good to know that MEN 's massage is superb.

I could spend week wandering around Angkor ruins but it's not for everybody , we all have our indulgences. 

Angkor ruins impress even people who do not like this type of sightseeing, truly unique place.

Waiting to hear about PP, going there for my 1st time in Dec and trying to decide where to stay that is good and inexpensive.... sounds like quite a trip you had.... I got tired just thinking about all the airport checkins, lol

Silver River Hotel.

You are right, airport pick up and guide price was rip off compare to what's available but I guess those prices are in sync with what you pay for an accommodation. If you are sleeping in 20 $ hotel , they likely arrange for 3-4 $ airport pick up and   15$ sightseeing. So don't feel ripped off, prices went with territory.

Indeed price comes with territory. If I had more time and patience for planning then the correct action is to book the tours directly from a guide and not using the hotel as a middleman. 

Waiting to hear about PP, going there for my 1st time in Dec and trying to decide where to stay that is good and inexpensive.... sounds like quite a trip you had.... I got tired just thinking about all the airport checkins, lol

Oh how I envy you... PP was one of my favorite destinations in this trip. I'll write about it soon. Indeed it was quite a trip. I have returned almost 3 weeks ago and I still haven't totally recovered. And you are right,13 Check-ins can be tiring :) 

I'll refer to accommodation on z909 comment. 

Silver River Hotel.

I just looked at this hotel online and it seems like a good and inexpensive hotel. It is very centrally located. The resort I have stayed (Rambutan) is in a less central location and more expensive. But, It has other advantages (4 star, pool, near Arthur and Paul). Also, as I mentioned, when contacting them directly you get a much better price (I have the manager contact details if you want). I'll write more about it on my report and it may help you decide. 

Rambutan looks more expensive, but you probably get more for that expense. The place looks very nice.

Silver River is central and well located for the bars, being just around the corner from Blue Chilli.  Rambutan looks closer to the sauna.

I booked directly with Silver River by e-mail.  After enquiring about prices and policies by e-mail, they said there was a $5 joiners fee.   I negotiated the price AND had the joiners fee removed before booking.   I believe some lower rooms have no windows, but I've never stayed in those.   The rooms on the upper floors are very good for the money and that's probably something else to confirm when you book by e-mail.

Happy Holidays to you !

Great report and still keeping us in suspense waiting for more.

As for planning vacation, don't worry about overpaying from time to time due to flawed logistics. I found long time ago that best vacations are ones with little plan,  just wake up and see what happens that day.

You right about help of ignorance to spread HIV , exactly as described above.

You right about help of ignorance to spread HIV , exactly as described above.

I am sure that my sex-ed practices won't change anyone's sexual behavior. But still, I can't help myself and sometimes I preach, probably to clear my own conscious. Cause for example, that Filipino guy is about my age and probably heard and knows everything about safe sex but he chooses to take the risk. In that manner, some Israelis are not different then him. Went yesterday with my BF to a big holiday slutty party. We went in the dark room for some fun and saw that most of the people fucking there were without condoms so we decided to stay on the more observing side of the action. I try to avoid judging people, but this feels so stupid... 

I hope this post was enjoyable to read and also helpful for future travelers. 

absolutely yes, very entertaining and informative, thank you.

In your tender age you are treating yourself with Zeagra or whatever ? I don't think it's necessary , give yourself some credit and live pills for us old folks.

In your tender age you are treating yourself with Zeagra or whatever ? I don't think it's necessary , give yourself some credit and live pills for us old folks.

Well, it was my first time. I used it because I know my limitations and I really pushed my body to it's edge at certain points of this trip and at that point I wanted more than my body can handle. You would be surprised how many people my age use it during long hour sex parties in order to push beyond their normal abilities. Not planning on using it for now - maybe just for special occasions :) 

I hope you can return to South-East Asia soon - I'm looking forward to read more from you.

Oh I will surly return to SE Asia - it's just a matter of time, money and working hard on convincing my BF. Actually yesterday was my first breakthrough with him regarding our next summer vacation; After talking about some other destinations that we are both interested in visiting he brought up Singapore. Singapore sounds a little too clean and sane for me but marriage is about compromise. And of course - no direct flight from Tel Aviv to Singapore so if we decide on visiting there we must pass through BKK. There is no way I will allow us landing in BKK without visiting the city for a few days. But it's still too early for planning so I am taking my moves on this negotiation slowly and thoughtfully... Or else, God forbid, I'll find myself in Paris next summer LOL. 

Thanks all for the feedback :) And thank you Vinapu for encouraging me to write! 

Guest abang1961

GM

This is from the Singaporean... Our doors are always open to foreigners - young or old, LGBTQ...

In fact, I played host to one of the forummers  at the beginning of the month.

His verdict - there are some interesting places here - he spent an entire afternoon at the Marina Bay area ....looking at the flowers and the swimming pool on top of the MBS ...

I've been sitting back quietly reading this trip report and have thoroughly enjoyed every post - entertaining, very informative and well-written.

Thanks for taking the time to share your Sexperiences.

Ditto here, have enjoyed reading this report.

Just a couple of points about Japan, a subject I know quite well.

First, the OP's observations were, by and large, spot on and equate to my own experiences. However I think Tokyo is cheaper than Paris or London. If you know where to go you'll find food and clothing in particular very cheap. Visitors wouldn't know where to go so end up paying higher prices. Drinks and transport can be expensive but, as the OP correctly pointed out, invest in a Japan Railpass - it's the bargain of the century.

Regarding the temples in Kyoto, I can understand exactly where the OP is coming from. However, there is a way to enjoy the temples without being templed out. The technique is to choose temples / places which are unlike each other; e.g. I'd recommend visiting Kiyomizudera, Kinkakuji, Ryoanji, Nijo Castle and Ginkakuji. Each is different architecturally.

Finally, one point I totally disagree with the OP on - Japanese guys preferring other Japanese guys is definitely not racist in the true sense of that word, just like farang preferring Asians is not racist. It's a choice based on race, but racism to me implies something very nasty and demeaning. There are reasons why Japanese prefer each other which I posted on another forum so will not bother repeating here.

GM

This is from the Singaporean... Our doors are always open to foreigners - young or old, LGBTQ...

In fact, I played host to one of the forummers  at the beginning of the month.

His verdict - there are some interesting places here - he spent an entire afternoon at the Marina Bay area ....looking at the flowers and the swimming pool on top of the MBS ...

I may have over simplified the reason I am not that eager on traveling to Singapore. I actually always wanted to visit Singapore. In fact, a local Israeli blogger just posted 2 weeks ago a very informative and exciting post regarding gay Singapore (link is with Google translate from Hebrew to English so it's a poor translation of his post) and after reading his post as well - I am sure it's worth a visit and that we will enjoy it there. The true reason I am not eager on visiting Singapore is that for an Israeli passport holder, there is nothing to do in that region except Singapore. I cannot enter Indonesia and Malaysia. So when I wrote that it is "too clean, too sane", it is just comparing to my imagined Malaysia-Singapore-Indonesia fantasy trip. Several years ago I thought I'd wait some years until they will allow us enter and then have a more intense trip at that region. But, nowadays, I understand that I will probably not witness peace during my lifetime in our region so waiting is just being naive. In addition, as i said, if flying to Singapore is what gets me to convince my BF to have several days in BKK - I am more than willing to take that extra mile :) 

Regarding the temples in Kyoto, I can understand exactly where the OP is coming from. However, there is a way to enjoy the temples without being templed out. The technique is to choose temples / places which are unlike each other; e.g. I'd recommend visiting Kiyomizudera, Kinkakuji, Ryoanji, Nijo Castle and Ginkakuji. Each is different architecturally.

Yes we surly got "templed out". LOL. Your temple plan sounds better than the ones we did. I'll recommend it for my friends travelling to Kyoto. Thanks! 

Finally, one point I totally disagree with the OP on - Japanese guys preferring other Japanese guys is definitely not racist in the true sense of that word, just like farang preferring Asians is not racist. It's a choice based on race, but racism to me implies something very nasty and demeaning. There are reasons why Japanese prefer each other which I posted on another forum so will not bother repeating here.

I understand what you mean and surly I am not judging or criticizing any one that has sexual/romantic preference for any race as I do my self have some preferences for certain races over others.

However, I don't think I agree with your distinction between racism and preference for race. I am not saying that these are the same things but I do think that they blend without us even realizing that. I have several examples: 

Some of the Japanese that we hooked up with told us that some of their friends think that Caucasians are less clean and more shallow that's why they prefer other Japanese. So, when a certain race gets assigned with certain characteristics that may cross the border to racism. It worked the other way around elsewhere - as I previously mentioned, a Vietnamese guy wanted to me to take of the condom - because I'm white so I'm probably well educated and clean. 

Another example from my home: some of us Israelis, like having sex with Arabs (I am guilty of this preference as well). When talking about it, we always say how Arabs are like beasts in bed and that they are considered passionate and full of instinctive desire. In my opinion, these characteristics are a fruit of our developed imagination and also are racists whether we like it or not. In the sexual manner this racist preference works well for Arabs but it lowers them in the romantic manner since Israelis usually want them for sex and will less consider them as romantic partners (I am generalizing here).

Finally, let's take a very common Caucasian sentence of preference - "I am NOT into Asians". I talked to lots of white people about this non preference (which thankfully I am not holding and I can enjoy Asian ass as much as I enjoy Caucasian ass). After having long conversations about this negative preference I think that there are some repeating motives which include the claim that Asians are too feminine, too small, and their dicks are too small. Even if some of these claims are statistically true, assigning them to an entire race and disqualifying them as sexual partners just upon that, is a sexual preference for race that is also somewhat racist - since it is not true for the entire Asian race. 

Of course, I am not comparing this form of mild racism to the more severe forms of racism, but I think that it is rather a spectrum than a distinction. What do you think? Can you post the link to the post you wrote about the reasons of Japanese sexual preferences? As you may have noticed, during my trip, I was really intrigued by the subject of racist preference and talked a lot regarding it with locals and foreigners - which also made me contemplate regarding my own preferences for race and their origins.  

And thanks again for the kind feedback regarding my reports :)  

sawatdeenetwork.com - Global Forum - 24 Kaikan, Shinjuku, Tokyo.

In the same forum I also did a trip report in May when I visited Shinjuku nichome with a farang friend. I was brought up in Tokyo but had never been there before - I go to other gay establishments in Tokyo with my Japanese friends. It was quite an eye-opener and reflects your own experience there.

To me, racism involves hate. The Japanese don't hate westerners. However, by and large, they don't speak English. Plus they tend to be shy around foreigners and can connect much easily with their own without any hassles. Japanese culture has very strict guidelines which everyone adheres to. They fear a foreigner will not be aware of these guidelines and, in any case, they will not be able to communicate with them should they breech etiquette or any of the rules. I saw one foreigner enter the locker area without removing his shoes,and another inside the sauna walking around in the toilet slippers!

It's just all too hard for them. So they decide to stick with each other. Racism is not a part of this decision.

I hope you head off soon on another gay adventure. I'm looking forward to more posts!

Guest abang1961

Yes I do understand those "restrictions" in Malaysia and Indonesia...

What you may want to do is to fly to Thailand and then take the budget flights (2 hr sitting in coach environment) to Singapore.

I have to mention that the flight tickets (via Airasia, Tiger Airways, Jetstar and Scoot) can be ridiculously low... Also there are more places in Thailand..try Chiangmai up north.. that to me, is Nirvana....

**Tip: Airasia is one of the low cost carrier in Asia and the last time, I flew from Bangkok to Phuket for THB 900 (tax included)... that is like taking an hour flight for the price of an 8-hour bus journey.  Check it out..

sawatdeenetwork.com - Global Forum - 24 Kaikan, Shinjuku, Tokyo.

Found it! It was really interesting to read - I should have read your posts regarding Japan before travelling, it would have made things easier to understand and manage. Didn't know that another forum exists... feels like a parallel universe. LOL. Thanks! 

To me, racism involves hate.

OK, so I think we just see racism a little different. For me racism is treating a person in a certain way (for better or worse) only because he belongs to a certain race. But, if indeed some Japanese people stick to each other only because of fear for their culture and rules - then racism is not involved in their decision - as you said.

My impression was that there is more than that and there is some racism involved - some if it maybe unconscious and un-admitted. However, as I learned from your posts you are born and raised in Japan so I will accept your impression as it is obviously more profound than my 2 weeks impression :)

I hope you head off soon on another gay adventure. I'm looking forward to more posts!

Thanks! I hope so too! I plan on taking my BF by surprise to a gay weekend vacation in Europe on his 30th B-Day this February. At first I thought I'll take him by surprise to BKK for a weekend but the flights are really expensive for a relatively short trip. Besides, the thought of taking him to BKK for his birthday reminded me of an episode of "Married with children" when Al bought Peggy a bowling ball for her birthday. LOL. But as I said, I'm planning next summer and I'm doing everything I can to find a route that must include BKK (i.e. Singapore) :)