Up2u

Dongtan Beach Update

Guest shamahan

The previous post is factually incorrect and the flawed economic logic beggars belief.   Please make an effort, don't just write anything.

In 2009, 43.7% of the male working population and 39% of the female working population were employed in agriculture.

This is declining, as it does in every country where living standards are rising. 

That's not 2/3rds.   Nowhere near 2/3rds.  You didn't even check, did you?

The minimum wage in Thailand is 300 baht per day.

The way to create wealth in society is to encourage private enterprise, investment, automation and trade.   An idiotic scheme to keep people in farming involving purchasing their rice and allowing it to rot in storage will decrease overall wealth, not increase it.

This might buy a few votes, but it will also decrease long term wealth.

The way to solve the farming issue is to allow capitalism to work.  Many people will move out of farming to other more comfortable types of work.  The people who are good at farming will buy their neighbours farm and mechanize.    They will produce more food at lower cost and increase their own living standards. With less backbreaking work. That's what's been going on all over the world for decades.

I know, I was brought up on a farm, then I got an education and moved into a different industry.

There's at least one other board member in the same position. 

The same type of opportunities exist in Thailand, although undoubtedly not open to all and at a much lower income level than we have been used to in the West.  However, the opportunities are there. For some.

The difference between you and me that I specifically study Thailand and my data is correct. You just visit for couple of weeks Thailand chasing boys. I talk to the people and know what is the real sitiation on the ground. Wnen posting your generic bs (you are not economist that is for sure just highly dogmatic character known on message boards as stunch supporter of local fascists-yellow shirts) without knowing anything at least try not to shut people who know what they are talking about.

Guest shamahan

before this happens proper schooling must be provided and facilitated. I'd not trust  capitalists with that, this is what governments are for

And the previous government introduced an excellent educational program by providing free simple computers at schools.

This program has been terminated by the regime. But the situation with education is not that simple. You may very well get a University diploma in Thailand and then have no chances to get an adequate job. Jerks who make generic points without

understanding the realty on the ground  are hardly helpful (this comment is not about you, vinapu).

A question on the original Dongtan Beach update topic:

With the changes that the concessionaires have been forced to implement for example smaller areas that can be used for deck chairs and bigger spaces between the concessions are they still numbered the same.

Previously on my last visit and for quite a few years before that trip, section 11 and 12 were directly in front of the first toilet block.

My question is have these concessions and others had to move or are they still in the same position?

The numbering system remains the same and the concessionaires kept their old numbers.

8 hour day then ot rules apply. Legimate businesses play by the rules but I doubt small mom and pop, independents play by the rules especially in Issan. Our condo had a 20% budget increase last year to cover salaries because of the new rules.

Guest abang1961

Too much tom-yam?

Wow someone must have had too much of spicy food..

The posts were full of anger and granted that we aint academics but rather tourists who do our annual pilgrimage to the Land of Smiles.  We are all equal here, no one is smarter than the rest.  So our opinions are not proven but purely our observations. Mis-observations and wrong conclusions are a plenty because we say what we see.. so cut us some slack. 

Mai-pen rai..

Have no idea what the name of the franchise is, but I've been using the second one past the toilet block and the same plump lady that has collected the money for the last few years was there @ new year.  

I've heard Rits Place mentioned several times in the Dongtan Beach threads, does anyone one know the concession number for Rits?

I usually sit around sections 14 -15 just past the first toilet block - Just curious

Rit's is section 015, the orange chairs, just by the toilets. All sections are clearly marked with names and/or numbers and have different colored chairs.

Rit's is section 015, the orange chairs, just by the toilets. All sections are clearly marked with names and/or numbers and have different colored chairs.

Thanks Up2u, I knew the section number I have just never noticed the name Rit anywhere.

We are probably talking about different concessions then. I've never really noticed the name signs on the ones that were near the toilet block end.

On the concession I do use, the lady collecting the money is the same one as in previous years. 

Oh well neiver mind about the fat lady what i want to see in my next trip is the boy wearing those speedos in your avatur.

Well here he is......just over 3 years ago.

post-8337-0-56135700-1422400649_thumb.jpg

last siting was about 10 days ago.

Here's another photo of him.  Nothing wrong with his friend either.  You're luckier than I am.  I've never spotted him (or his friend), although I sure wish I had.  Maybe he doesn't live in Pattaya and only comes once in a while, which could also explain why he's not seen very often.  Of course, if I happen to spot either one of them, I'll cross my fingers and hope he accepts my personal "Welcome to Pattaya" offer . . .

DongtanBoyz_zps42083d3e.jpg[

He used to sit near my section, eat Thai food at Jomtien complex and work at one of the bars in the complex(opposite 4T).I have witnessed him at the beach breakup with a young Russian by throwing his drink at him. Also had a few Sanuk sitings from friends. I have never seen him on grindr, gayromeo, hornet, etc.

The friend interests me much more than he does.

The friend is the one who I would be much more interested in meeting as well.  

However, taking into account their choice of attire, the speedo guy makes a more interesting photo.

To get more arty beach shots, I need a compact camera that can boot up, zoom and take loads of snaps much faster than the TZ9 or whatever it was at the time.  It appears recent increases in processor speed just about keep pace with the megapixel race, so the new cameras are no faster.