Up2u

Dongtan Beach Update

The internet arrived a long time after chickens & eggs, but I'm pretty sure it's responsible for the decline in boys at the beach.

They can now fix up dates without leaving their rooms.  So if they don't actually like going to the beach, why would they go?  

Then whilst I like watching cute boys going past, most of them already have a farang with them. 

So if the wifi on the beach was actually fast enough to use, my best chance of pulling a boy on the beach would probably be on JackD or GayRomeo.

Guest abang1961

Just bring back to the good old days without the technology.

Some 15 years ago, the probability of getting a man was much higher as they were ample resources.

Those days, once I am in my swim-suit, the roving eyes will follow.

Plus I was much younger (and much more body beautiful) and the ability to converse in English was a bonus.

There were so many men to choose from.

A moment to reflect and lament...

Now sadly, where have all the flowers gone?

Where have all the young men gone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QZq-wKaBWc

Thinking of the Dongtan Gay Beach of a few years ago. That is populated mainly by older farangs and younger Thai rent boys, with few females or families. I ask was it unique in the world ?. I have been to gay beaches in Europe, principally at Maspalomas on the Spanish island of Gran Canaria, although I've not been for a number of years now. But they were rather different to Dongtan. That is the clientele are rather younger, mostly go naked and looking to flirt or have sex amongst themselves (in the case of Maspalomas sometimes in the sand dunes when the cops were not about! ). There were few or no young rent boys to my recollection.

If there is a another Dongtan Beach somewhere in the world i would be interested to hear about it.. Maybe in the Philippines ?.

Probably the old Dongtan, before GR, was unique and unsustainable ?.

if they don't actually like going to the beach, why would they go?  

I disagree with the common assumption that the only reason why most boys used to go to the beach was to hunt for farang.  Many really did seem to enjoy going and not so many of them were all that worried about getting a tan either.  Most of the boys used to show up in the late afternoon, after the major tanning hours.  There were also many beach 'regulars' who were there nearly every day.  In the afternoon if the tide was low enough several used to set up a net by the water and play volleyball. 

Many attribute the disappearance of the boys to Gay Romeo.  I don't buy that so easily.  Obviously the advent of Gay Romeo was a significant factor, but not sufficient to convince me that's what accounts for the disappearance of virtually all of them.  I believe there was something else too - maybe several "something elses."  But what?  I wish I knew.  I can't imagine the concessionaires would have run them off.  I don't think the police ran them off either.  If they did, we would have heard about it.

I'm struggling to think of a better explanation than the internet.

Maybe it's not just Gay Romeo, Jack D etc, but youngsters are also frequently addicted to their phones. They can probably entertain themselves sitting at home all day. And still have a chance of earning some money off Firecat.

The other factor might be fewer farang with money to splash, due to currency fluctuations etc.

There are many reasons why the boys don't favor the beach, and no one has suggested the "only" reason is the Internet. Those reasons have been thoroughly discussed in the past and there is no good reason to rehash them. Will there be a high season like the good old days?... I certainly hope so but the reality is the good old gay beach days scene is Gone with the Wind. I do give a Damn, it was a part of my life and I will miss it.

Guest abang1961

This song buff would like to add "Aint no sunshine when he's gone"..

Dongtan beach is infamous for the afternoon volleyball some years ago.

It was very edifying to see young, capable bodies by the waters.

After all, we were on vacation and there was nothing on the agenda but to body-watch!

Now, I dont think Pattaya  nor  Dongtan holds the same interest as before.

Perhaps we are jaded - perhaps we had have too much of a good thing...

This song buff would like to add "Aint no sunshine when he's gone"..

Dongtan beach is infamous for the afternoon volleyball some years ago.

Nowadays you are more likely to find the boys playing volleyball under flood lights at 01.00 AMafter the bars have closed

Or even at 05.00 AM when the clubs are closed... Quick volleyball and early morning swim before heading hme to sleep for the day!

They tend to play at the northern end of Dongtan - around Pattaya Park... It can be quite cruisy

Of course its not the kind of place to go on your own, as it can be pretty dark away from the floodlights

Nowadays you are more likely to find the boys playing volleyball under flood lights at 01.00 AMafter the bars have closed

you are not kidding, boy I offed from Classic in May last year told me that he is going straight to play volleyball  and he left about 1.30 a.m.

Not beach related as it was in BKK but it looks  boys are night owls big time working nights and sleeping days.

As for lamenting Dongtan beach demise I suggest instead of dwelling on glories past connoisseurs should look for ways of substituting what is gone instead of shedding tears as it only stresses soul and deepens wrinkles.

Guest abang1961

Sorry I aint the nocturnal type ...

Furthermore, my eyesight is failing me - I cant see much in the dark...

I reckon many farangs would agree with me that it is much better to ogle at boys' bodies under sunlight, right?

Ko Larn is worth the visit but the invasion of "standard package-tour tourists" is unavoidable.  

When I last visited the island, I chose to turn right instead of following the herd at the end of the footbridge.

Most facilities are available on the left end of the beach - yes, the multitude of tourists infesting that area.

Instead, the right end is quieter... I did tan in my g-string for a good 20 mins without any interference.

Guest manmarkman

My god !!  The reason you don't see the solution, is because you are part of the problem !!!

Let me break it down for you :STOP dating the boys on GR or Hornet or whatever, and START living in the REAL world !!

You guys, that uses cyberspace to find the boys, are the ones responsible for killing the wonderful gay culture that we all so love !

I'm quite sure that you already know this, but I guess it is just to easy to lay flat on your back and typing your way to some sort of human relations. Now THAT is some SAD people !

The life you all seems to be missing, is going on outside your window ! Go out and join us !

BTW.. have had some AWSOME days already, and can recommend Sonny-Boys in Sunee. A BLAST  !! 

Hope to see you all out there tonight :yahoo:

My god !! The reason you don't see the solution, is because you are part of the problem !!!

Let me break it down for you :STOP dating the boys on GR or Hornet or whatever, and START living in the REAL world !!

You guys, that uses cyberspace to find the boys, are the ones responsible for killing the wonderful gay culture that we all so love !

I'm quite sure that you already know this, but I guess it is just to easy to lay flat on your back and typing your way to some sort of human relations. Now THAT is some SAD people !

The life you all seems to be missing, is going on outside your window ! Go out and join us !

BTW.. have had some AWSOME days already, and can recommend Sonny-Boys in Sunee. A BLAST !!

Hope to see you all out there tonight :yahoo:

We might be part of the problem to a certain extent but this is 21st century, the age of the Internet(the Real World) . When I first came to Thailand the boys had no smart phones, wifi, 3g, FB, GR, etc.; now go to Sunny boys or any gay bar and watch the boys play with their phones, chatting, making dates. With every new technological advance there are casualties along the way (depending on your point of view). Who's is responsible for the downward spiral?.... us, the boys, politics, the bars, exchange rates, pricing? I do know farangs who live in the technological dark ages, no smart phone, Ipad, wifi, Kindle, amazon, etc. They don't know what they are missing but seem (or think) to be happy.

always look for good side of things, the same goes with technological change.

Yes,  boys are paying more attention to their phones than clients but it means one can watch them without being pestered. 

Now you can sit at Maxi and make your selection of Bangkok Massage masseur undisturbed by their smiles and winks across the soi. 

Up2u is right about casualties of any change  but  we human can adapt and shedding tears for bygone days is not helping.

Boys are migrating to the internet because they see value there  , no need to put up with rude mamasans and flash their undies on the stage whole evening without off. 

Those working in bars well frequented will stay there as they see value - human interaction and ability to assess client,  the same  reason some of us prefer bars to GR and such.

I'm not so sure about downward spiral but I can be missing something compare to more frequent visitors.

Plenty of people were declaring distaste for the sex shows , now when those are gone some seem to be missing that sleaze factor.

Yes , those living in technological dark ages are in the dark of what they are missing but what is the use of Kindle when one doesn't  have time to read because constant need to check facebook,Line and  tweet. 

One of joys of vacation for me is removal from technology although I gave up partially and since last year I check my e-mails while away and when in LOS still try to visit and write on this forum on daily basis. I rather watch passing eye candy than check who just called. But it's  just me , not complaining about quality of vacation carved by and for myself. 

I'm not so sure about downward spiral but I can be missing something compare to more frequent visitors.....

Maybe not the best term, but in reference to what some might call the "golden age" of Gay Thailand and the demise of the old gay scene; plentiful available boys on the beach, in the bars, just about everywhere. I remember my first visit and I thought I had just found Paradise. Things have changed a lot as witnessed by this former frequent gay tourist and now permanent resident.

.... I thought I had just found Paradise. 

and rightly so. I still can think about better place for gay sex tourist.

Things changed and so did we.

When I entered my first ever bar back in 2001  just in time for  fuck show to start I thought I'l  cum right away before I even called boy over. Now I can watch it still enjoying naked bodies on display hardly sporting any sign of excitement. I think often  that its  simply because I'm spoiled by  subsequent trips and sights not because shows went downward.

It's why I'm  counting my blessings instead of complaining how good it it was then.

When we go back to old posts from say 2006 or 2008 we can see the same complaints about beach, bars and shows we see nowadays, one can just copy and paste.

Guest abang1961

You know age is really catching up on us as we lament the past - the glorious past.

When someone highlighted that the sex shows are no longer as exciting as it used to be, all I can say is that "we have too much of a good thing until now...we are all jaded".  The show retains the same routine - a little too mundane, too predictable.  We all know what's next in the programme!

Same as the scene at Dongtan Beach.  My visits to Pattaya always include at least an afternoon at the beach. Like the boys from the scene, I would scrutinize the seats and look out for single GWM.... those who have an empty chair next to him.  If he looks good, I would sashay myself in front of him and get his attention.  The rest is ...  

Technology has given the boys a chance of staying in the comfort of their rooms without exposing themselves in the sun.  They are just a call away.  Perhaps what we could do is not to shun GR and other social apps...what we could do instead is to "parade" your du jour boyfriend(s) at the beach... make them cover themselves in the skimpiest possible wear .... with that, the beach is once-again, the place to converge in the day-time...

Guest anonone

In a unusual development last trip, BF was actually the one to rather pointedly suggest going to the beach as we had not been there in a long time.  I was surprised and asked why he wanted to go.  He just said he felt like relaxing on the beach that day.

We had been hitting the night life extra hard that trip, so perhaps he wanted us to take a little bit of a break from the routine. 

He was in some rather skimpy briefs, but I don't recall him parading around much...so doubt anyone but me got to thoroughly enjoy the view  :spiteful:

It does seem to jive with everyone's perception..the only Thai boys on the beach are already with a falang friend.   I saw one or two walking along the water's edge, but really not that many around overall.  

Vinapu makes a good point. The Jomtien beach boy scene dried up many years ago and posters were commenting on it

back on 2008. Six years should be long enough for us to let go and move.

But, alas I still long for the days when Wild West Boys sizzled, Krazy Dragon was a blast and Dynamite Boys was hot.

Now, XBoys fills the bill and Funny Boys, Toy Boys and Boyzboyzboyz are filled with hot guys.

There are plenty of uber skinny waifs and fem boys around in other bars and these are the days we will look back as the

good old days.

Yes, these will be the good old days for a newbie. We have several perspectives being posted here. Those of gay tourists and those of us former gay tourists who have retired here. I really can't speak about the bkk gay scene because they lost my business many years ago. My bkk gay friends have relocated to Pattaya (like me). We go to soi 4 when visiting but bkk gay life simply is of no interest. If Soi Twilight were to dissappear tomorrow with its high price drinks and smoking Asian clientele it would be absolutely no consequence to me. In my circle of friends I can think of at least twelve who used to visit the beach and/or bars on a regular basis. Today, there is one who goes to the beach and bars regularly and another who goes with bf explicitly for a beach massage. Because of the weather (rain) and the tree butchering I have stopped going, but will resume in December to be sociable for visiting friends. All my farang friends are sexually active, either have bf's (like me) or use now use social networking for dates. Are we jaded?... perhaps, but we do remember the past when the bars were fun, the boys of better quality, no drugs, etc...... now that was the true Paradise. That said, I hope everyone enjoys their holiday here and finds their Paradise and continues to come in the future.

Thats very true williewillie !. In conversation friends tell me the i am constantly using the phrases "I remember" , "When I was", "A few years ago".

I first visited Pattaya in 2005 in company with a gay friend. In fact we hadnt much idea about the place - we only went there on suggestion from a guy who we sat near on the plane. I thought it was wonderfull and i still believe that the scene was better then. In my memory the gay beach was crowded with cute boys wearing speedos like the one there <<<<<. You could have fun with them on the chairs and in the water, where the sea was flat and calm. Afterwards it would be back to the hotel.

But maybe it wasnt like that always. Im forgetting the days when the beach was quiet and when it started to rain. When i got tired of being pestered by vendors and massage guys. Sometimes an unattractive boy would sit down uninvited and it was hard to get rid of him. I never plucked up courage to wear my thong.

Pattaya is still perhaps the best place in the world for the gay sex tourist. Its not the same as a few years ago - its DIFFERENT.