Up2u

Dongtan Beach Update

Some of these comments I posted on another forum about the lack of boys at the gay beach. This sadly is still true. However, you will see more changes depending how long you have been absent and what section you sit at. There is an ongoing story about the covering and uncovering of the footpath with sand which has made the local press (see link). Many, many months ago Rit and adjoining the sections at the gay beach got tired of maintaining the footpath (yellow brick road) and expanded their areas for overflow seating by covering the walkway with sand. I thought it was not a good idea and told him so. Anyway, officials did not challenge him and so it remains today.

This last August the police and city trying to beat the military junta to the punch (see article) had a formal meeting at section 22 with the vendors. They were told about the changes, losing rows in the front, smaller sections and covering the pathways with sand. No one liked the changes including me especially the loss of the pathways to escape the sun. A week later two bulldozers show up and cover the pathway with sand. Then a week later the bulldozers remove the sand and pile it to make pathway look like a WWI trench. The latest in this saga is the pathway by my sections have been restored and no official has the balls to admit who gave the original order. TIT.

Another change you will notice is the butchering (supposedly tree trimming) of the pine trees. This is done for security and safety from falling limbs. The tree trimming started in the north and now reached Rit's section where it has been temporarily suspended.

Bottom line is no trees, no shade and importantly no eye candy.

http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/pattaya-officials-given-time-to-clean-up-beach-but-military-is-watching-40900

http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/mysterious-dongtan-footpath-cover-up-to-be-reversed-within-week-40877

post-374-0-81136700-1410676117_thumb.jpg

post-374-0-22400500-1410676183_thumb.jpg

post-374-0-91619400-1410676291_thumb.jpg

post-374-0-26801400-1410676320_thumb.jpg

Years (10-13) I used to stay at Tui's (which is the little hotel that was right behind Rit's section...not sure if it still is so located) and that was before any yellow-brick road was installed.  Rather scary to walk back there late at night especially in the dark as occasionally some goddam dog (which sounded like Cujo) would jump out at you.  Later on, after the lighting and pathway came into being, it was a much easier and safer journey.

I also recall when they trimmed the trees once long ago and everybody complained about how they were "butchered"; however, I guess that's the proper way to trim palm trees and you'll see that they'll almost look back to normal by about next summer (they grow pretty fast).

In the last picture, you are looking at the the back of Tui's. Note the new big tall light standards and the older ones along the road. The trees were "butchered" so the security cameras on the tall standards could do there job or that's the argument. The rumour is the contractor wanted the wood to sell. In talking to my masseur and vendor, no one is happy, because the shade is gone and their customers are leaving the beach early because of the heat. Will the trees grow back? I only hope you are right. The palms have always been trimmed properly (of course they have no resale value).

Another note on the pathway mystery, it is said Chonburi officials overruled the locals because the pavers were not removed first but just covered with sand. They ordered the pathway restored;a lot of baht was spent building what we affectionately call the "yellow brick road".

Reading all the above I start liking myself for not liking the beach / any beach , not just Dongtan /, simply beach is not  my idea of fun

It looks that lots on money was wasted on those walkaway covering and uncovering exercises. And can't stop wondering , does junta have noting better to do than cleaning the beaches, blessed country Thailand one again.

No Shade other than beach umbrellas

Let's hope it doesn't go the way of Patong beach in Phuket with umbrellas, beds and chairs being banned (if that is actually still true?).

I recall, a few years ago, the fir type trees (not the palms) being similarly mutilated. I was outraged. Actually it wasn't so long till they had regrown.

I recall, a few years ago, the fir type trees (not the palms) being similarly mutilated. I was outraged. Actually it wasn't so long till they had regrown.

Yes, last time they were trimmed and did recover but this time they were severely butchered for their wood in the name of security. We all hope they survive.

Yes, last time they were trimmed and did recover but this time they were severely butchered for their wood in the name of security. We all hope they survive.

Looking at the photo, what I see looks almost identical to the trimming ("butchering") they did about 10-11 years ago there. And all the trimmed trees back then grew back rather quickly.

This photo was taken about 3 weeks ago near to the Rabbit Resort I was on the beach today and the tree trimming seems to have stopped just around section 12 - 14 near to the first toilet block.

There was as is usual these a lack of cute guys to keep me from playing with my iPhone and I would estimate that as a 65 year old I was not in the minority age wise today.

I can't see how the concessionaires are keeping going just at the moment.

I still love sitting on the beach though it would be nice to have some eye candy.

post-14901-0-32002700-1410777855_thumb.jpg

Looking at the photo, what I see looks almost identical to the trimming ("butchering") they did about 10-11 years ago there. And all the trimmed trees back then grew back rather quickly.

My recollection from last time was the trees were actually trimmed with the dangerous limbs removed. The pictures may not be the best but the trees have been "topped" and have no large limbs for sprouts to grow. I truly hope you are right and I am wrong about this.

Many types of tree grow back quite strongly after pruning which resembles the most aggressive butchery.   It is possible that the people doing the job know what they are doing.   Although by no means certain.....

We're now past the holiday season in many countries, so I'm not surprised 65 year olds would be well represented on the beach now.   Most younger people would be working.  As for those who are not, well if they are happy to pose for photos, it would be nice to see their pictures here.

I very much enjoy the time i spend on the Dongtan Beach during my frequent visits to Pattaya. I like the sea air and the relative calm atmosphere that prevails there, as compared with the majority of other beach areas which run parallel to busy roads with noise and pollution. Also i prefer my fellow customers there rather than Thai families and females who predominate elsewhere.

We all bemoan the lack of eye candy these days, but maybe thats the problem. Ive seen small groups of Thai boys sitting for long periods without any approach by farangs, who seem more interested in chatting amongst themselves and just enjoying eye candy.

They get discouraged having had to spend money for the chair and drinks and dont come again. I have sometimes tipped a waiter to invite a boy to join me for a drink which often is a rewarding experience for both of us.

I just got e-mail from friend  who is in BKK right now settled in Narathiwas area and he says that tourists are present in great numbers to a point that is difficult to walk along Silom so it looks that low season is not that low at least in BKK

I guess what you are telling us is the tourists numbers which were "butchered or trimmed" have recovered quite nicely.:-)

I guess what you are telling us is the tourists numbers which were "butchered or trimmed" have recovered quite nicely.:-)

or perhaps the new crop of tourists are just younger and slimmer and don't need to rely on the presence of the old dead wood to sprout? :-)

bkkguy

No one liked the changes including me especially the loss of the pathways to escape the sun. 

Another change you will notice is the butchering (supposedly tree trimming) of the pine trees. This is done for security and safety from falling limbs. The tree trimming started in the north and now reached Rit's section where it has been temporarily suspended.

Thanks for the effort to post pictures, Up2u. I'm one of those who likes the choice of being in the sun or shade. 

Guest abang1961

So what is the latest update?

Now that the trees are pruned and the seating area greatly reduced, how is the crowd in the gay section?

I seriously don't want to see Dongtan Beach be transformed to the likes of Patong gay beach... just dead and family-oriented.

Where is the fun?  What is the fun when you see nothing but overweight women .....

Now you know why in my oppinion best beach in Thailand is Fresh Beach Boys bar in soi Twilight

Now is that the one that has  (or had) the pushy mamasan?    Even I struggled to put that one off.....

Guest abang1961

This should be "refreshing" news coming out of Thailand's new PM.

He is currently infamous for his many off-the-cuff remarks...

Thai PM's poser after murders: Are tourists safe in bikinis?

THAILAND'S military ruler yesterday questioned whether tourists in bikinis are safe in the kingdom, in comments following the murder of two Britons whose battered bodies were found on a Thai island..."There are always problems with tourist safety.

They think our country is beautiful and is safe so they can do whatever they want, they can wear bikinis and walk everywhere," Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, who is also the army chief, told government officials.

But "can they be safe in bikinis...unless they are not beautiful?" he said, addressing the issue of tourist safety in a speech broadcast live on television.

Yes stop those overweight women from parading in their bikini..they are an eyesore to the beauty of the many beaches in Pattaya, Phuket and many others.  However allow bikini, g-string, c-string tan-kini (yes there is such an outfit) on suitable guys... 

That will be a day ..... where (gay) tourists will be flocking back to Thailand....

This should be "refreshing" news coming out of Thailand's new PM.

He is currently infamous for his many off-the-cuff remarks...

Thai PM's poser after murders: Are tourists safe in bikinis?

THAILAND'S military ruler yesterday questioned whether tourists in bikinis are safe in the kingdom, in comments following the murder of two Britons whose battered bodies were found on a Thai island...[/size]"There are always problems with tourist safety. [/size]

They think our country is beautiful and is safe so they can do whatever they want, they can wear bikinis and walk everywhere," Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, who is also the army chief, told government officials.[/size]

But "can they be safe in bikinis...unless they are not beautiful?" he said, addressing the issue of tourist safety in a speech broadcast live on television.[/size]

Yes stop those overweight women from parading in their bikini..they are an eyesore to the beauty of the many beaches in Pattaya, Phuket and many others.  However allow bikini, g-string, c-string tan-kini (yes there is such an outfit) on suitable guys... 

That will be a day ..... where (gay) tourists will be flocking back to Thailand....

Yes, I saw his comments and posted a new thread here so we can keep this thread focused on Dongtan beach.

http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/topic/9695-the-general-and-tourists-but-can-they-be-safe-unless-they-are-not-beautiful/