Guest joeblo

Not Really a Land of Smiles

Guest joeblo

Though I've not been here as long as many of you, I have noticed something.  I do not feel that many of the Thai people where I am live up to the Thailand reputation of being a land of smiles.  Many do not respond when I smile at them and it appears to be a waste of time to wave at them.  Some just look at me as though I just stepped out of a space ship.  This is not to say that they are mean spirited but just not what I expected.

as long as I'm concerned I see plenty of smiles, may be because I smile at them too. Would not say waving at them is waste of time, at least you show you care.

In more touristy areas they may be more tired of smiling at every farang, like everywhere in the world when tourists congregate.

Nothing melts my heart more than smiles of cute boys from massage places along Silom though.

As far as I see I stick to LOS label.

Guest Promsak

I agree with Vinapu on this one.

Usually smiling at a local brings a similar response.

Nothing nicer than getting a smile from a handsome boy where in the U.K. they'd probably have smacked me in the teeth.

I should point out that the 'Thai Land of Smiles' is not a reputation but a gimmicky slogan thought up by the TAT years ago.

Thailand is very much a land of smiles compared with my homeland.

That's despite living standards being much higher than in Thailand. Now if some of the idle layabouts & wasters in British society had to scrape by on the Thai minimum wage, there would be a compete uproar.

Guest joeblo

I'm referring to Thais in general and not massage boys.  They smile because it is part of their job.  Perhaps it is because I am in Bangkok and not where some of you are.

Guest abang1961

In my humble opinion, the Thais are a herd of "optimistic" people... No matter the situation, they will always find a solution to overcome it...

Tsunami in 2004 ...never mind, we built Jungceylon, right smack in the middle of Patong Beach to revive tourism

Floods in the 2010s... no problem, we will survive..

Army coups and demonstrations ... no big issue, just watch the circus....

The Thais I have came to know are, simply put, live for today.. They aint worry about tomorrow because it is just another day to them...They can always rely on friends, family and farangs in time of needs.  

Keep on smiling ...

Guest Promsak

I'm referring to Thais in general and not massage boys.

So was I.      In my part of Sukhumvit anyway.

Men, women and children usually all smile back. Maybe it's sympathy in my case.

I'm referring to Thais in general and not massage boys.  They smile because it is part of their job.  Perhaps it is because I am in Bangkok and not where some of you are.

I live in Bangkok as well, and Thais still strike me as friendly and upbeat people - at least compared with all the other nationalities I'm familiar with, including my own. I'm not talking about them walking around constantly smiling, but in my daily interactions with them they certainly make me smile a lot.

Many Thais from the countryside say that Bangkokians are rude and sour-faced folks. That's probably true, compared with Thais from the countryside. Compared with the inhabitants of other capital cities of the world, I'd say not at all.

Guest anonone

In my humble opinion, the Thais are a herd of "optimistic" people... No matter the situation, they will always find a solution to overcome it...

Tsunami in 2004 ...never mind, we built Jungceylon, right smack in the middle of Patong Beach to revive tourism

Floods in the 2010s... no problem, we will survive..

Army coups and demonstrations ... no big issue, just watch the circus....

The Thais I have came to know are, simply put, live for today.. They aint worry about tomorrow because it is just another day to them...They can always rely on friends, family and farangs in time of needs.  

Keep on smiling ...

Well said, abang. 

Many Thais from the countryside say that Bangkokians are rude and sour-faced folks. That's probably true, compared with Thais from the countryside. Compared with the inhabitants of other capital cities of the world, I'd say not at all.

that the comment I heard in quite a few countries about their capital's  or other big cities inhabitants  so it looks as common to all humanity.

If one is short of sour faced folks short trip from BKK to PTY would solve that deficiency, not Thais though but plenty of sad looking farangs around - it striked  as on  my way from bus station to Boyztown, it ,must be something in the water

Guest abang1961

Thanks guys for liking my post #10.

The first words I learnt in Thailand after "Sawadee-krap", "Khob Khun Krap" were "Mai pen rai"....

As I had said earlier, whatever happens to the environment/economic/political calamities, it is still "Mai pen rai" (never mind)...

Some more lingo - "Mai Kow cai" and "Mai Ao".. (dont understand and dont want)... As long as the Thais are still living and breathing, it is "Sabai, Sabai" (good, good)..

I dont doubt that country folks are more likely to be "happier" and "more satisfied/contended" with their life whereas city folks (moi included), have too much on our plate to SMILE... I tend to look "overtly serious" and more materialistic than my fellow Thai....wish I can turn back the clock of time... without phones and tablets....