TotallyOz

New Constitution Gives Thai Junta Sweeping Powers

Thailand's new temporary constitution that gives the military government sweeping powers in the run-up to a planned October 2015 election also allows the leader of the current ruling junta to become interim prime minister, a senior army official said Wednesday.

The document adopted Tuesday is the first step toward restoring electoral democracy in Thailand, two months after the army took power in a coup, but the junta will continue to hold substantial power even after an interim Cabinet and legislature take office in September.

Although the interim charter is supposed to pave the way for civilian rule, it gives the junta — officially called the National Council for Peace and Order — what amounts to supreme power over political developments. It also legalizes all actions the junta has taken since the coup, as well as the takeover itself.

The members of the National Legislative Assembly will be appointed by the junta, and in turn will nominate a prime minister. The prime minister will then pick a Cabinet, which must be confirmed by the assembly.

The 48-article charter also lays out the process by which a permanent constitution will be drafted and adopted.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/thailands-junta-adopts-interim-constitution-24661761

Nobody should be surprised.

and nobody is, such a path is out of fashion worldwide but well trodden.

I never thought  to live long enough to see Burma being more democratic than Thailand but in few years it may be a case, hope I'm wrong.

With appointed Legislative it looks that Suthep won for now

At some point in the future, it would be nice to see an elected (the underlining is for stress) leader in Thailand stand up and publicly proclaim that the military is totally subservient to the elected government and that any new coup makers will be treated with the proper criminal charge (i.e., treason).

The notion that these military thugs have any right to cancel an old constitution or draft a new one to their pleasing is simply ludicrous to me.  Sadly (this being said clearly from my western point of view), essentially nobody in Thailand has the balls to even suggest that these boneheads are doing anything wrong.

At some point in the future, it would be nice to see an elected (the underlining is for stress) leader in Thailand stand up and publicly proclaim that the military is totally subservient to the elected government and that any new coup makers will be treated with the proper criminal charge (i.e., treason).

The notion that these military thugs have any right to cancel an old constitution or draft a new one to their pleasing is simply ludicrous to me.  Sadly (this being said clearly from my western point of view), essentially nobody in Thailand has the balls to even suggest that these boneheads are doing anything wrong.

Ain't goin' to happen, you know it and I know it. Doesn't Prime Minister Prayuth have a nice ring to it?

it looks that Thailand's ruling class  has habit of changing their constitution as often as they change underwear, which one that will be after end of absolute monarchy? 17th ?

That would require another change that we're not really at liberty to discuss. You cannot file criminal charges with regard to any offenses that the offenders have been pardoned for, it's as easy as that since a pardon is final and absolute. Hence the provisions in this latest incarnation of a provisional charter to that effect.

Guest LoveThailand

While many of us cannot think of a better system than a democratic one,  for many countries a transition is not an easy one.

What happened after the the Arab Spring? In some countries former dictators were replaced with equally despotic "elected" ones or in others the old system was destroyed and some countries well into complete lawfulness. Think of Russia where Putin as much as turned the country into a "managed" democracy (and 80% of population are loving it).

Thailand? I wish they found a solution that will suit them. The hisory of coups was perhaps a history of different groups changing power. The coups were not a big deal because they did not affect the majority of population and it did not have a say in what was happening. The recent one is perhaps different - for once vast numbers of people were involed in protests that led up to the coup. Ordinary people are slowly waking up. Remains to be seen how this develops.

nobody is disputing fact that sometimes democratically elected governments are disaster / Hitler /  but at least population can have some ownership of that, 

is case of coup is castrated of such feeling.

At the same token not all authoritarian regimes are bad for countries but eventually they tend to believe in their omnipotence which leads to disaster as there's no election to be considered and electorate pleased

Guest frequentflier

how can anyone defend a military take over of a country?

It has never worked because it is wrong.Take away the rights of the people and suffer the consequence.

how can anyone defend a military take over of a country?

It has never worked because it is wrong.Take away the rights of the people and suffer the consequence.

Believe me I'm last one to support military takeovers but in theory in may be justified if country would not have functioning government, society  were on verge of collapse and economy  unable to support society's  basic needs it's possible to imagine that military as only organized and disciplined structure is taking over.

NONE OF THE ABOVE APPLIED TO THAILAND in May 2014 so coup was just cynic power grab dressed as usual as national salvation.

Problem with military is that they never know when to hand power back to the electorate and eventually they are forced to by unrest and external pressure.

Believe me I'm last one to support military takeovers but in theory in may be justified if country would not have functioning government, society  were on verge of collapse and economy  unable to support society's  basic needs it's possible to imagine that military as only organized and disciplined structure is taking over.

NONE OF THE ABOVE APPLIED TO THAILAND in May 2014 so coup was just cynic power grab dressed as usual as national salvation.

and here I was thinking that everyone on the forums - and the forum owners - where self-censoring because of the junta's sweeping powers to "disappear" anyone critical of their actions on social media and discussion forums!

bkkguy

there's noting critical  in my quoted  statement , just stating obvious fact like that  Thursday is day after Wednesday.

Did not General announce he is taking charge of the country from government?.

I will still sleep well / if one can sleep well without Thai boy beside /

Guest abang1961

I was sorely disappointed by the removal of deck chairs in Patong Beach and guess what, another demolition/removal in Hua Hin..  Yes perhaps to some, the beach is for everyone and no one should "profit" from it but when the beach turns out to be nothing but just a stretch of sand, littered with screaming kids and their doting parents, why should the gay population converge.

I have had the first hand experience of seeing empty chairs at Dongtan beach two weeks ago and the terrifying scene at Patong last week... really, is the military or the new order sidelining the gays?  

http://bangkokpost.com/news/local/426596/beach-clean-up-gets-under-way