firecat69

Turmoil Causes Severe Drop in Tourists

On the up side, if there is one to this mess, is that hotel prices in Bangkok are the lowest I've seen.  I  had to make two trips to Bangkok last month for business and I have got real bargains on first rate hotels.  As Firecat points out, I am not worried about the hotel owners but the people who depend on tourist for their incomes.  That includes the hotel workers and the people in the sex industry, etc. Glad to see there is some recovery, but if trouble starts it could get worse.

hope Thai's  economy fame as being "teflon" one will prove to be accurate.

If junta will avoid any first page  antics like arresting people for reading '1984'  there's hope  tourists will return.

I, for one keep my plans  for Dec firm, hell or high water,  but having personal experience of living under military rule certainly helps not to have any illusions but not no get scared easily as well.

Since troubles started last Nov we had steady stream of visitors posting here and no one's vacations were affected by them.

Sure if one is coming strictly for sex shows in soi Twilight those plans are ruined for time being but is easy to arrange substitution in our own rooms. 

I'd guess that it's mostly the families and newbies who are staying away now. People who've visiting Thailand since a long time are no strangers to all kinds of turmoil unfolding here, so they're probably much less likely to change their plans - unless it had a negative impact on them personally in the past, for example when the airports were occupied.

I, for one keep my plans  for Dec firm, hell or high water,  but having personal experience of living under military rule certainly helps not to have any illusions but not no get scared easily as well.

Where? When?  If too far off topic can answer by PM.