TotallyOz

Trip report from May and June 2014 to Gay Thailand

Guest anonone

Congrats to Michael on the weight lose. Very impressive.

I was wondering if all was ok as you posted enough to indicate you were in Thailand, but we're not the prolific poster that I had come to expect when you were in town.

Glad you enjoyed your time with your 2 boys. Don't be a stranger as you hunker down at the next locale....

Let me know if who ever paid for Chiva Som needs any additional reporting. What was the breakdown of Nationalities at this wonderful Spa.

Thanks Firecat. :)

There are always people from a wide variety of countries there. There were some from USA, Australia, South Africa, Brazil (I assume renting out their condo in Rio for massive amounts), Malaysia and several from Saudi Arabia and the Middle East. Most that I talked to had been there before and were repeat. Some were new. Most were couples but some were alone or with friends. The nicest group I met was from South Africa. They were fun and had a great time.

Nice report, 

This internet  fuck -up really tickled you off. I understand it messed you with your research.

On bona fide vacations I'd  be happy  if internet would not be working, excuse of not even looking computer side just for break.

Congrats from me as well on weight loss, 2 pounds every 3 days shows it can be done if one is motivated enough.

I'm glad you found Banana  , IMHO underrated competitor to HERO , for me  is usually other way around, going to Hero but getting disctracted by Banana sign and finishing up there.

What is wrong with soi Twilight? Not a first time somebody complains that is getting boring and uninteresting,

Certainly not my impression, I could spent whole days there just watching traffic passing by. 

But like you I found joys of slow speed vacations so I'm not surprised you liked being enclosed in Sathorn. This is why I don't like luxury hotels in BKK  , they are so nice that  one doesn't feel even need to hit streets.

Nice report,

Thank you!

On bona fide vacations I'd be happy if internet would not be working, excuse of not even looking computer side just for break.

I don't really have bona fide vacations. I live in hotels 365 days a year and thus everywhere I am at I have some work to do which requires an Internet connection. I don't like long term breaks from the computer. :) If I took those, I would never be able to afford a hotel. :)

What is wrong with soi Twilight? Not a first time somebody complains that is getting boring and uninteresting,

Well, I didn't mean to complain. I guess that is the way it sounded but it wasn't my intent. I just don't like spending more money on a drink than I would in a New York City club. I also grew tired of the shows there years back. There was one show a few years ago that I loved but they had different dance routines, cabaret type show. I loved it but it is now closed.

I always like to go for one or two visits on a trip but I hate the guys out front trying to ply you into their bar with broken promises. :)

This is why I don't like luxury hotels in BKK , they are so nice that one doesn't feel even need to hit streets.

The king of this type is the Vegas hotels. In each one, there is virtually everything you could need. Most have movie theaters, gyms, tons of restaurants, a full mall and the list goes on. I have to be in Vegas 2 times a year for conventions and every time I go I am really amazed at how easy it is to never leave your hotel. I was reading last week an article on the World's largest hotels and a great many are on the strip in Vegas.

I think over the years, I have just tried to relax a bit more and not try to cram so much into my trips to LOS.

After 6 weeks, they sent a letter to all guests that they were upgrading the system and it would be down for a few hours while they did that. I was thrilled and saw this as a way for the hotel to redeem itself. It had the opposite effect. The "new fix" made it even worse than before.

I always prefer to stay at service apartments. If may not be your style but I would recommend the Center Point Hotel near the BTS Saphan Taksin. The internet and staff are great and it has an 8.7 rating on Agoda.

I still love Thailand but I think over the years I have grown to love the slow pace of life much more than the high speed of the bars and clubs. I spent less than 4 hours total in all the bars on this trip. So, more time was spent just enjoying life.

Sounds like you are ready for Chiang Mai :)

I took Delta both ways. I like their service and I sat in Business Class. I always buy a cheap ticket and upgrade with miles to business class. My return cost 1700 USD plus 30k miles.

Michael, can you expand upon this?  Did you arrive on a one way ticket? And assume the return was one way?  And from what city in USA? Did you book with Delta? And any problems coming to Thailand on a one way ticket?

Your return ticket was a good deal.  I know that Delta is funny with one way tickets for award travel although that will change.

Guest shamahan

265000 baht for 5 days, it is about 2000 US per day. I am not sure why bother to travel. With this kind of money, you can have everything in US

(boys, girls or whatever you wish.) I still do not understand what attracts people to filthy BKK. Why not to stay in Pattaya? You may rent a palace and have a perfect internet over there.

Try reading the post. He did not pay for stay!!! Also Pattaya is less filthy then BKK? In what way.

"I was also able to visit Chiva Som for a five day spa vacation. Chiva Som is one of the best spas and all of the world. It is extremely beautiful, extremely serene, and unfortunately is also extremely expensive. I booked a five day program that included several massage therapies per day as well as some personal training sessions. I also upgraded to one of there larger rooms. The cost was 265,000 baht for the 5 days. That is an extremely high rate to pay but I was doing research for a company and my expenses were covered."

I don't think either one is filthy depending on where you are although all the beaches in Pattaya are definitely filthy.

Sounds like you are ready for Chiang Mai :)

I have considered a move to Chiang Mai for a while. One of my boys has a 10 year old son. I want them to be close together so I normally stay close to the Chomburi area as much as possible but I have told both boys that eventually Chiang Mai is the place I'll be. I have spent months there in the past and loved it.

Michael, can you expand upon this?  Did you arrive on a one way ticket? And assume the return was one way?  And from what city in USA? Did you book with Delta? And any problems coming to Thailand on a one way ticket?

Your return ticket was a good deal.  I know that Delta is funny with one way tickets for award travel although that will change.

Delta has been great with one way tickets for me. They have been willing to upgrade them for a while.

I arrived in Thailand on the last leg of a roundtrip. I prefer to start in BKK and end USA as the cost is usually about 1/2 price of booking a round trip from USA to BKK. On this trip, I really don't know when I'll get back to Thailand so I just booked a one way as I didn't want to waste money on the round trip as they expire.

When I got to airport in USA, they needed me to show them an exit ticket. I showed them one I had just an schedule for. No problems at all. But, in USA, they do expect a return.

265000 baht for 5 days, it is about 2000 US per day. I am not sure why bother to travel. With this kind of money, you can have everything in US

(boys, girls or whatever you wish.) I still do not understand what attracts people to filthy BKK. Why not to stay in Pattaya? You may rent a palace and have a perfect internet over there.

Like Firecat said, I didn't pay.

But, I think Bangkok is an amazing city. I love the malls and the hotels. Pattaya is fun as well but good only in little spurts. To each his own I guess.

Let me present my condolences for your internet problems. Where I stay now, there are some problems as well, so I can commiserate. I have some flexibility, so I can do something else if internet breaks down for a day (which has happened).

Thanks. Yes, it sucked but there wasn't much I could do other than use my 4G (LOL). I find that when I need Internet in USA, I pair my phone with the computer and it is amazing speeds. That is not true for me in Bangkok as I think the 4G is not 4G or 3G.

Guest travelerjim

Thanks Michael for the report...

please your trip was mostly successful....especially your health & weight loss.

Thanks for the helpful tip re: upgrading on Delta to Business Class using miles from some Coach fares.

The one way tip is helpful...a reminder for me...

Their usual time for the lowest price Business Class is 90 days...$3100-3400 +/- fm BKK to West Coast USA.

Goes up by about $1500 roundtrip when exceeds 90 days.

tj

I enjoyed reading your post.  Your descriptions show the variety of different ways different people enjoy Thailand. I also find myself drawn to Bangkok because of the variety. It can be a fulfilling trip just to experience the many different things that are offered there.

During my last trip I spent about a week taking cooking classes in the morning and a long massage in the afternoon.  The next week it was visiting museums in the morning and again long massages in the afternoon. It was very relaxing.

But I must admit, I still enjoyed my nightly visits to Soi Twilight.

Thanks again for the interesting post.

I still do not understand what attracts people to filthy BKK. Why not to stay in Pattaya? You may rent a palace and have a perfect internet over there.

Bangkok is world class city, Pattaya is provincial backwater with dirty beaches  but first class boys and girls.

You can easily spent 2 months in Bangkok not being bored, try that in Pattaya, fast you will gain that sad face of resident  farangs there.

I agree entirely with your thoughts on the internet connection Michael.

If that's an internal network problem, the hotel should get it fixed in no more than 24 hours.

If the problem is with the service provider, they should change the service provider, if they cannot fix the issue promptly.   Providing of course, the Thai internet market allows such fast changes.

Anyhow, if I was running a large hotel & receiving such shoddy service, I would be constantly onto the service provider.  Considering they probably have a HQ in Bangkok, I would be paying them a visit if the issue wasn't resolved in a few days.

If that's an internal network problem, the hotel should get it fixed in no more than 24 hours.

With you on that one, for sure, but it usually happens on Thai Time. I stayed in a hotel last year where I'd asked where the wireless box was as a guesstimate to how good the coverage would be. The woman told me it was directly across the hall from my room, and it was; I could see it on the ceiling.  The problem was the box itself needed to be manually re-set four or five + times a day, there was only that one woman on staff who seemed to know how to do it, and she wasn't there 24 hours a day. I watched her do it the second time, and after that just reached up and pushed the button myself.  I didn't need to stand on a chair to reach it, either!  :good:

" ... The Internet was so bad that I called to the front desk to complain over 47 times in 2 months. I had to go downstairs and talk to them 16 times ... "

I would have kicked your big farang ass down the stairs whining that many times.  Perhaps that was your problem after all ... I would not doubt it.  

I would have kicked your big farang ass down the stairs whining that many times.  Perhaps that was your problem after all ... I would not doubt it.

I guess that just shows what a bad businessman you are. A good paying customer who has stayed a total of over 10 months in 4 years in a hotel and who who pays even more for room service, massages, personal trainers, etc (and did on this trip as well) and who until this visit only praised the hotel. So, when that customer complains (legitimately according to the hotel and staff), and he is not the only one, you would kick him out? LOL Wait, who is the real fool here? You or me? Never mind, I know you hate all my trip reports as we have seen over the years with your comments to them. Why? It does not follow you pay as little as possible and try to be a cheap charlie routine. Seems like one I did on Hua Hin a year or so ago got closed as you were so upset that someone would come to the city and stay in the Intercontinental as opposed to a cheap hotel. I think we both know who the hotels would actually kick out if it were a choice between the two of us. And, it would not be me. :)

During my last trip I spent about a week taking cooking classes in the morning and a long massage in the afternoon.  The next week it was visiting museums in the morning and again long massages in the afternoon. It was very relaxing.

But I must admit, I still enjoyed my nightly visits to Soi Twilight.

sounds like me, massage in the morning, longer one in the afternoon and nightly visit to Soi Twilight either with boy already arranged or to pick up one

sooner hotels realize that good internet is as crucial as working A/C better for them. Even if we don use one this should be available 8 days a week / 25 hours a day.

I guess they took Michael's custom for granted, hence sloppy rush to fix trouble

Network installations at hotels and offices tend to be somewhat complex, so unlike others, I do understand that it's not always possible to come up with a satisfactory solution for each and every problem within 24 hours. That said, it obviously shouldn't take nearly as long as endured by Michael either. Maybe a couple of days.

I've had bad luck with internet connections in Thailand every now and then, too. More often than not, I could help myself with mobile internet whenever that has happened, but that's just a workaround and not really a good solution, because whatever they advertise as 3G or even 4G in Thailand is pretty questionable, too. All things considered, internet access in Thailand sucks when compared with (many) other countries, no matter which provider or channel is being used.