Guest Garrison

Beach Road given new lease on life

Guest Garrison

Those who live here or visit frequently would all be aware that major renovation was undertaken to improve Beach Road. The end result has been a much improved promenade, a cleaner beach, and an additional car lane. The sea is still not safe for swimming, in my very humble opinion, though. And plans to vastly improve the much eroded beach seemingly is completed and pending approval and funding.

Pattaya and Jomtien are very hot in the daytime, so I usually venture out of the house in the afternoon to get a bite to eat and then to relax on the beach somewhere in Jomtien. Dongtan beach wins out most days but I do try other areas as well, like Cosy Beach.

I've though found myself spending part of my time now at Pattaya beach, as it's now much cooler and the promenade is very easy and safe to walk. There're trees, benches, even taps, vendors,  a lot of eye candy, and gorgeous sunsets. I also like the proximity to Central Festival Mall and many other restaurants where I can get a bite to eat. Beach food just doesn't cut it for me, honestly. And on those extra hot days, I also have the option to enjoy the air conditioner when watching a movie at Central Festival.

Pattaya beach has a completely different vibe than Jomtien beach and I kind of like it now. It has a good energy to it. The renovation was a success. A rare thing in this city where corruption makes most things just become mediocre. It's good to have the option of coming into town and being able to enjoy a relaxing day at the beach. At least for those like me who like such things.

Jomtien is always going to be my perennial favourite but thankfully someone had the foresight to give Beach Road a new lease on life, so we can all enjoy it whenever we so choose to do so. Kudos to whoever they're!

while I'm not big fan of sea, sun and sand I'm glad to hear that Pattaya finally has decent sea side promenade for the evening strolls for those tired with noise of usual hot spots like Walking street. While beach there is a bitch sunsets and evening breezes  are nice 

Guest abang1961

Yes there is an imminent need to reinvent Thailand, especailly Pattaya.

It had and always will be labelled as a whore haven....

Things have to change for a better image.. perhaps they can make it the place for honeymooners... just like Sanya in China, Phuket and those Greece islands... perhaps a better link from the main airport or even from u-TAPAO ...

Yes there is an imminent need to reinvent Thailand, especailly Pattaya.

It had and always will be labelled as a whore haven....

Things have to change for a better image.. perhaps they can make it the place for honeymooners... just like Sanya in China, Phuket and those Greece islands... perhaps a better link from the main airport or even from u-TAPAO ...

while you are right about the label I have feeling that is not entirely justified.

Last November while in Thailand for 9th time I finally ventured to Pattaya  expecting exactly what you said -whore heaven all over the place, all city being big brothel, sulphur smelling gate to Hell  etc.

What I found was normal city with whoring pockets like Walking Street and soi 6 plus our own Boyztown but those being discreetly camouflaged, not entirely ,   but my impression was that you find stuff if you are looking for it but it's not in your face, eaxctly the same like in Bangkok where both soi Cowboy and Nana plaza are not exactly part of busy thoroughfares and even Patpong's sin dens are only for those who turn from  Silom's night market. At least this is my impression and I wonder if others share it or I was just blind to the obvious.

If world decides to reinvent  Thailand and especially Pattaya    as family destination only I hope it takes long enough that I will be expired when it happens.

And yes , I'm all for improving transport links with Pattaya and something like train straight from airport there would be welcome development to many. 

Yes I believe the plan is for Pattaya to be gradually transformed into less of a sex tourist resort. The girlie bars are migrating to the Soi Buakhow area, where in had a walk during my last trip and was struck by the number of gogos in Soi LK Metro - there must have been about ten and also several ladyboy bars. It's predominantly a farang area as opposed to Beach Road where Chinese, Indian and other Asian nationalities and Russians are seen in great numbers.

I also liked the improvements to the promenade but I can't say I saw any "Eye Candy" that appealed to me, although for str guys there were plenty of Russian girls wearing thong bikinis. Dongtan in the late afternoon is where I'm often found.

One negative is that Beach Road is now more difficult for us joggers, apart from early morning when I'm usually otherwise engaged with my boyfriend du jour. The Chinese tour groups waiting to go paragliding and afterwards collecting their souvenir plates clog up the path.