Guest ryoyo

Advice on going to Thailand during Loy Krathong festival

Guest ryoyo

I'm thinking of going to Thailand to enjoy the Loy Krathong festival around 5~7 Nov, but I am worrying about whether everything will have been settled down and no more curfew hour. I heard the election would be in September so it seems to be OK, but who knows?

Should I wait until around Sep to reserve hotel and flight ticket? Advice please.

I prefer nightlife activities than daylife ones so the coup and curfew hour really hold me back.

Since tourism to Thailand apparently is down you may wish to wait and see what happens and book your flight at end of summer.

never hurts to monitor flight prices from time to time as with dwindling number of passengers prices may actually go up! due to reduced number of flights.

As for hotel you may try to book without deposit/prepayment so you will be guaranteed room without outlay of money.

Keep in mind nobody knows what  near future holds for Thailand so it's just a guess. There are politics and military but also biology will do her thing at some time , not necessarily far away from now.

I personally did not take my own advice on flight  and booked mine for end of year  in April but reserved hotels without deposits as advised.

It depends on where you want to go.  If you want to go to any of the cities where the curfew has already been lifted, you could go right now without any problems.  The way things are starting to play out, the curfew is likely to be lifted entirely long before November.

Whether you decide to go and where you decide to go, one piece of advice:  Don't wait around very long to make your flight and hotel bookings.  I don't know about other cities, but if this year goes as it always has, In Pattaya the longer you wait, the more difficult it will be to get a room in the area you prefer to stay.  If you wait too long, you'll be lucky if you can get a room at all.

Waiting until September specifically doesn't make much sense, because if one thing is quite certain, it's that no election will be held in September (at least not this year). Nobody knows what will happen by then though, so I'd either book early and make sure that everything I book is refundable, or wait and see.

Alexs advice is sound.  Things are quite now and seem to be getting better, but no-one has a crystal ball--especially in Thailand.  We could have a smooth transition or a bloodbath.  In the last 19 coups we have experienced both, so best to go with was Alexx said.

Guest ryoyo

thank you all for your advice,

It seems things are more quite and more quite as curfew hours is being lifted in many districts more and more. But I think it's still far away from now till November so maybe I'll just wait and see.