Guest travelerjim

NEW Curfew Hours start May 28 12:01am-4:00am nationwide

Guest travelerjim

New Thailand curfew hours announced by Thai Army

Effective Wednesday May 28th Nationwide

12:01am - 4:00am

https://twitter.com/armypr_news/status/471285523844435968

ประกาศ คสช.42/2557 ปรับเวลาการห้ามออกนอกเคหะสถานทั่วราชอาณาจักร เป็น 00.01 ถึง 04.00น. มีผลตั้งแต่คืนนี้(28 พค57) เพื่อบรรเทาผลกระทบ ปชช.

tj

Makes a bit more sense and at least some of the locals should be able to get their working lives back to normal.

Guest imkeev

Glad to see this post. While others kept on commenting to the tourists to not go Thailand at this time, I, myself, as a tourist, still feel very excited to go there no matter what. ;) I am pretty sure it is still safe to travel there.  

Glad to see this post. While others kept on commenting to the tourists to not go Thailand at this time, I, myself, as a tourist, still feel very excited to go there no matter what. ;) I am pretty sure it is still safe to travel there.  

Absolutely safe, as long as we stay away from any protest it is safe as houses here, just hoping the night life picks up now the curfew is a bit later. I think maybe too many people panicked and cancelled but that is their choice, this coup is different to the others in that there has been no blood letting.

With those hours, the curfew is potentially advantageous for some tourists, as they will be able to sleep without hearing motorcycles racing around in the middle of the night.

I quite enjoyed the good nights sleep in parts of Laos where everything shuts up early.

Guest shamahan

With those hours, the curfew is potentially advantageous for some tourists, as they will be able to sleep without hearing motorcycles racing around in the middle of the night.

I quite enjoyed the good nights sleep in parts of Laos where everything shuts up early.

With this attitude you may very well sleep peacefully at home. I,of course, realize that potential travellers try to estimate the situation from the point of view of personal safety. But at some point animal instincts should allow to some kind of decency.

Make no mistake: it is a fascist coup and its organizers use a very high degree of intimadation (e.g., two years imprisonment by court marshall for just participation in pieceful protest) as their major tactics. Generals are scared, very scared... And for visitors:

you may be safe until you are safe but then you do not...

imkeev, I like your attitude, just go.

It looks from feedback of members present there / Xiluzer, Tmax, Christian etc  /that fun still can be had. Sure,  steer away from big gatherings but don't be paranoid. Boys need our custom now more then before.

Just for fun I tried today  to see how hard is to book a room in BKK right now and it looks that  tourists are still coming, few rooms only available in my regular hotels, On Yim is full so hopefully most people did not chcken out and are still coming, good for boys.

Hope those present in BKk right now will comment if my observations are correct

Curfew oh curfew....

I had one boy left my room at 1230 am, and another one at 130 am... they don't care much about the curfew, so no worries if you are thinking of offing a boy and afraid that they had go to back early before 12....

And yes, everything is fine in Bangkok. Dont be stupid and cancel your trip just because the news portrays bkk in a state of chaos and riots....

Quite honestly, 1 week in silom, i have not seen any soldiers there at all....

Hope those present in BKk right now will comment if my observations are correct

I cannot comment on hotels, but from hanging out last night (well, evening, before the curfew started), I got the impression that the number of people that are out and about is much lower than usual. I went to a place in the Lower Sukhumvit area that usually gets very crowded on a Saturday night, and I saw fewer people there than even on a typical weekday night. Also, the BTS felt much less crowded when heading back home.

All things considered, it looks like overall tourist numbers aren't down by a lot (from what I've read, by 10% to 20% here in Bangkok), but maybe those who do visit now focus more on daytime activities like shopping and sightseeing, so hotels might not suffer as much as restaurants and bars.

That is especially true in Chiang Mai where the bars traditionally were best after midnight.  A lot of tourist, but the bars and discos are nearly empty.

most likely whoever booked holidays is arriving but if situation doesn't clear soon new bookings and arrivals may dry out,

after all with curfew it's night life which suffers and this is Thailand' big draw, sandy beaches can be found  in many places closer home specially now with summer in Northern hemisphere.

But it's encouraging that people not buying to scaremongering  by their governments and still arriving.