TotallyOz

Yingluck out

And confirmed just now on the BBC news website also ...So Thai's can maybe now expect yet more of the lowest of low seasons ahead perhaps as on reading this type of news if the Government being left in a vacuum yet more droves tourists from various countries all decide just to play it safe and book their summer holidays elsewhere rather than risk yet more fresh political uncertainty in Thailand over their valuable and time precious summer holiday break period. :-(

So does this mean the mob in Lumpini will disperse, my own answer is no they won't, now the big question is will her supporters rise up in protest (my bet is yes they will). And so it goes on and on, when will it end (?), nobody knows and I mean nobody. What a shemozzle.

My own guess, for what it is worth (not much) is that little will change. This was hardly unexpected and Pheu Thai had contingency plans in place for the disqualification of the whole cabinet. As it is, the Constitution Court has only disqualified 9 cabinet members and has said that the remaining ones can continue in office as caretakers until a new cabinet is appointed. The court has also refused to order the speedy appointment of a new caretaker Prime Minister.

So, it will be business as before for the the truncated cabinet. Sure, there will be demonstrations against the decision, but my guess is that Pheu Thai will, mostly, contain them in the North and North East, and continue it's policy of avoiding any clashes that might give the excuse for a coup. As to when it will end, TMax is right with "Who knows?". There may or may not be another election in July and I can't see anything much happening before then. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if nothing has changed by this time next year.

What's incredible to me is that a leader of a country is thrown out of office because a court says that the leader with the approval of the cabinet improperly fired (well, re-assigned) some department head.  Incredible.  In fact, almost as incredible as the ruling that the legislature can't amend the constitution even though the constitution gives it the power to do so!    

In any event, all these skirmishes await the big battle that will unfold after certain unmentionable events occur.

By the way, via a google search, I learned there are 34-35 cabinet ministers including the PM herself.  That leaves about 25 of them to muddle through this mess.  

So does this mean the mob in Lumpini will disperse, my own answer is no they won't, now the big question is will her supporters rise up in protest (my bet is yes they will). And so it goes on and on, when will it end (?), nobody knows and I mean nobody. What a shemozzle.

Today, they closed down Sathorn for hours as they were marching toward Lumpini, I expect. We watched the masses of yellow shirts block traffic and walk through the streets. I don't think they will disperse anytime soon.

i will be arriving in bangkok on 12/05. should i cancel my trip? its very concerning...

IMHO, no, do not cancel your trip. Once you get to Thailand, everything is fine in most areas for now. No one knows what the future holds, but I would not let this deter a trip here.

I's second Bob's comments, it's pure farce , not democracy if PM is removed by collusion of mob and judicial actions.

I'd not cancel any trip tsubiboy, just go and enjoy . leave Thai political affairs for Thais to solve. We can just help our boys to put food on the table / and on occasion new smartphone in the pocket /

This may well be a democratically elected leader.  However, in a a heavily polarised democracy, there must be some kind of safeguards against the situation where the majority vote in a party where there is a history of corruption? 

A constitution and a court to uphold that constitution seems like the way to go.  

This may well be a democratically elected leader.  However, in a a heavily polarised democracy, there must be some kind of safeguards against the situation where the majority vote in a party where there is a history of corruption? 

A constitution and a court to uphold that constitution seems like the way to go.

Does it matter if the majority vote for a corrupt party or the minority vote for their corrupt party?

A court does seem to me to be important to maintain law and order but it seems this court was playing partisan politics. The charge which she was convicted and removed for seems to be a load of horse shit. And, the court made a mockery of itself by allowing this to happen.

Neither party is ideal. But, does it matter in a democracy? Should not the majority rule?

i will be arriving in bangkok on 12/05. should i cancel my trip? its very concerning...

A very good question and all we can can do is speculate. The red shirts start their counter protests this Saturday and the following Wednesday (14th) with calls for 100000 marchers. You could be walking in to a fire storm. I would avoid Bangkok and deadhead straight to Chiang Mai or Pattaya. the situation has become very serious and unstable. This comes from someone who lives here and not the occasional visitor.

Guest shamahan

The abbreviation to Con court in Thai sounds exactly as a word joke. And the last decision of the court confirms that. Yingluck was the only thing that separated ruling elite from pitchforks and now the court removed it. Bloodbath is coming and I would avoid not only BKK but Thailand as a whole for the next couple of months.

Guest Promsak

Bloodbath is coming and I would avoid not only BKK but Thailand as a whole for the next couple of months.

Rubbish!!

Hopefully cold heads will prevail in both Thai political establishment and on this forum. Politicos clearly should see that bringing people to the streets is double edges sword as other side may do the same.

Scaremongering doesn't help as  demonstrations  go on from Nov last year  and as far as travel to LOS is concerned everybody who went there returned safe.

Yingluck miscalculated her step with amnesty proposal which infuriated both sides so was author of her own misfortune.

As for courts being joke it looks that everywhere nowadays  when they wade into politics they become one, not unique to Thailand.

Circus with Florida 'chads ' during presidential election in USA giving seat to George W comes to mind. Al Gore just had more class that Suthep to give up , likely due to cleaner hands.  

So all planning Thai vacations don't chicken out and just go, stay away from big gatherings as you would to in any foreign country and don't discuss politics with locals,  boys included.

Guest shamahan

Rubbish!!

I know. You are all experts here. Just stop bulshitting, get packed and get out while you still can.

What's incredible to me is that a leader of a country is thrown out of office because a court says that the leader with the approval of the cabinet improperly fired (well, re-assigned) some department head.

This is a very simplistic representation of the facts - first of all there were two courts, and according to the first court there was no justification for the move, and according to the second this initial re-assignment was the first in a chain of moves that ultimately resulted in a close family associate of the leader being moved into a senior position of power and influence

now we can argue till the cows (or is buffaloes a more appropriate term here?) come home about whether this benefited the family more or the country more, but lets not pretend that this is just about a simple civil service re-assignment!

it's pure farce , not democracy if PM is removed by collusion of mob and judicial actions.

when has Thailand ever been anything remotely approaching a democracy since 1932?

Does it matter if the majority vote for a corrupt party or the minority vote for their corrupt party?

A court does seem to me to be important to maintain law and order but it seems this court was playing partisan politics. The charge which she was convicted and removed for seems to be a load of horse shit. And, the court made a mockery of itself by allowing this to happen.

Neither party is ideal. But, does it matter in a democracy? Should not the majority rule?

so your idea of a workable democracy is where the majority vote for a corrupt party that will not behave democratically when elected?

bkkguy

I know. You are all experts here. Just stop bulshitting, get packed and get out while you still can.

No need to get upset, this is just conversation-exchange of views. We can support what others have to say or not.

You should rather say ' we are all experts here " instead.

When comes to politics everybody is an expert, recall early 90-ties, which highly paid and educated  expert predicted collapse of USSR? None, right? But quite a few on the  people on street did. 

when has Thailand ever been anything remotely approaching a democracy since 1932?

so your idea of a workable democracy is where the majority vote for a corrupt party that will not behave democratically when elected?

bkkguy

Remotely , yes, after all there were few elections resulting in change of government.

Is USA with quite a chunk of  seats on the Capitol occupied by spouses , children and relatives of their former holders that shining example  just because those people were voted in in fair election?  /So was Hitler /

You right about being sarcastic about majority being able to vote corrupt party in but really what is workable alternative still resembling democracy ? Enlighten absolutism , communism or dictatorship . They all had their day and results were mixed at best. 

Guest luvthai

And then they go ahead and appoint another of Thaksins cohorts (even ran one of Thaksin companies) as interim Pm.  Not making a lot of progress on eliminating the Thaksin influence

Guest abang1961

Sawadee-krap..

Isn't it expected?

She has to vacate her post as a means to end all the months of protest.

The Thais have a lot of respect for the KING and as long as he is still alive, I don't think it is going to turn into a civil war yet.

Well, Thailand is not just Bangkok alone.

Visitors to the KINGDOM can see and relax in other places - Pattaya for all its saintliness, Phuket for all its saltiness, Chiangmai and/or Hua Hin (my last fave)... so just avoid the maddening crowd at Lumpini/Silom junction this 2 weeks...

Well, Thailand is not just Bangkok alone.

Visitors to the KINGDOM can see and relax in other places - Pattaya for all its saintliness, Phuket for all its saltiness, Chiangmai and/or Hua Hin (my last fave)... so just avoid the maddening crowd at Lumpini/Silom junction this 2 weeks...

while you are right I personally believe that no place in Thailand reivals Bangkok as destination and no visitor to LOS should miss it. It's like visiting USA and going to Orlando, Florida and Seattle but missing New York, technically person was in USA but was it really?

/ I may be biased as I love big cities and strongly believe in what Carl Marx  said- good side of capitalism is that liberated humanity from hopelessness of rural life /

Considering that Lumpini/Silom junction is steps from Soi Twilight and sois 2 and 4 I rather say "resign yourself to beating crowds at that junction"

And then they go ahead and appoint another of Thaksins cohorts (even ran one of Thaksin companies) as interim Pm.  Not making a lot of progress on eliminating the Thaksin influence

Come on, did you really expect a yellow shirt to be appointed? IF Thaksin himself could return he would be reelected resoundingly.

They will just as easily eliminate Thaksin's shadow over Thai politics as America will eliminate the presence of the Bush dynasty. GWB was the worst president ever IMHO. And, he is guilty of war crimes. But, now his brother may be the next Republican nominee for President. So, what does that have to do with GW and his crimes. Nothing. You can't judge a man by his family. Well, you can but to eliminate people strictly based on this is absurd.

Thaskin's sister was a good Prime Minister. The Yellow Shirts were relentless and stupid to get her out. I hope they get someone much worse in there to teach them a lesson.

The lesson I wish all would be taught is that the few can't undermine democracy for the many. Yes, I do think she should have remained in office just as I think her brother should have. No, I am not a red shirt guy. I just believe in democracy. I was not happy with Bush's first appointment as President of the USA. But, when he was elected the second time, I threw my hands up and said, "Oh well, America gets what it deserves for this shit." Elected leaders are just that. They are who the people want. Unless gross dereliction of duty, they should remain in office until another election. (and no, blow jobs in the Oval office is not gross dereliction of duty).

I love Thailand and I hope that those not in power will realize why they are not in power and start to change their policies in order to appeal to the entire country instead of the few.

I love America and I hope that those not in power will realize why they are not in power and start to change their policies in order to appeal to the entire country instead of the few. (I just hope they don't do it before 2 Hillary terms)

They will just as easily eliminate Thaksin's shadow over Thai politics as America will eliminate the presence of the Bush dynasty. GWB was the worst president ever IMHO. And, he is guilty of war crimes. But, now his brother may be the next Republican nominee for President. So, what does that have to do with GW and his crimes. Nothing. You can't judge a man by his family. Well, you can but to eliminate people strictly based on this is absurd.

not necessarily, I suspect that proliferation of dynastic politics in democracies in recent years will eventually undermine democracy  everywhere as president's son will consider run for presidency his birthright and so will governor's daughter.

Gandhi dynasty  run Congress party in India on this principle and quite possibly we will see sad demise of both as early as results of elections will be announced at end of next week.

I personally would never vote even for St. Peter 's presidency  just because his brother St.Andrew was president already.

Not being American I wish both Hillary and Jeb Bush well while hoping both parties will find less old bloodied  candidates.