TotallyOz

Fitness Centers in Pattaya

Now that California Wow has done out, has any other companies came in to take over that segment of the market?

I saw in Bangkok that Fitness First has taken over a few Wow locations. Not sure if they have plans to expand or what. Anyone heard anything or know anything?

The only gym I attend in Thailand is the Mike Sport World in Pattaya. When in Pats I'm normally to be found there from about 10 am. I train with the weights and on the treadmill and finish with a few lengths in the pool.

A months membership is 4000 baht if I remember correctly. It's the best of the Pattaya gyms, most of which are rather basic.

I like to relax on Dongtan gay beach in the afternoon.

The only gym I attend in Thailand is the Mike Sport World in Pattaya. When in Pats I'm normally to be found there from about 10 am. I train with the weights and on the treadmill and finish with a few lengths in the pool.

A months membership is 4000 baht if I remember correctly. It's the best of the Pattaya gyms, most of which are rather basic.

Where is it?.... and I thought I knew all the gyms here!

I personally like Fairtex in north Pattaya, but friends have used Fitz (on pratumnak hill) or the fitness club at the Marriott (both very expensive). I would avoid Tony's.

It's on Third Road near the junction with South Pattaya Road.

The main gym and Thai boxing centre is in the left side going towards Jomtien. The smaller gym, swimming pool, tennis court etc is on the right. Big place - you can't miss it.

Both gyms have up to date weight training equipment, but some of the aerobic machines are in a poor state of repair.

A free gym is on Pratumak Hill near the big Buddha. Here you can train at the various exercise stations and have a run around the mile circuit under the trees with a breeze from the sea !. Balance your budget after spending too much on boys !.

Travelerdave; you description of Mikes fits exactly that of Tonys Gyms (Tonys Sport World) which are at that location. Think you are confusing Mike with Tony ?

If in fact, he is referring to Tony's then this place would not meet the OP's standard. My sense is the OP is a hi-so guy and Tony's is a lo-so gym full of tattooed steroid Mary's.

Whilst I probably should go for a proper run, or even to a gym, a very brisk walk back from Dongtan to South Pattaya is actually sufficient exercise for me.

Just download the "Sportstracker" app onto your phone and press on until averaging over 5mph for the trip.

Disclaimer: I have only tied this during my visits in December & January.   Perhaps it's harder with April weather?

cost be damned!

which gym has the

cutest guys?

Fairtex. It specializes as Muay Thai training facility. Cute gym training staff, hotel guests sign up for training packages so there is a nice blend of Asian and European tourists. They sell just the gym package at reduced cost.

The Marriott gym the last time I checked was near 40k per year. The Royal Cliff is close to that as well. Both offer specials if you live there. I was curious as Wow was so great and busy and should have made great money and I am surprised no other place has opened up.

Fitz(Royal Cliff) is around 30k, less if you join their wine club. Fairtex is about 10k for just the fitness gym membership. The former owner of California WOW is/was being sued by members and staff. In Pattaya, they tried selling me a membership a week before they closed.

Z909 - 5mph is a very fast walking pace, especially over the hill Jomtien > South Pattaya. In fact I don't jog much faster.

Such a speed walk every day would go along way to keep fit in Pats, and you could dispense with the gym.

I do weight training but I'm far from convinced that it's doing me any good. I always feel better after jogging/running. Also swimming seems to be beneficial keeping the aches and pains away.

. I always feel better after jogging/running. Also swimming seems to be beneficial keeping the aches and pains away.

Nothing wrong with a bit of aching, in certain age  if one wakes up in the morning and doesn't feel any pain chances are he may be dead,It's why  I'm always grateful. for my morning dose of discomfort

Guest abang1961

At our age (for those above 40), we ought to cut off jogging and go for brisk walking instead.

Jogging causes too much impact on our knees and ankles.

Swimming is a better alternative to jogging anytime.... and don't we all enjoy the sights at the pools? :p 

Z909 - 5mph is a very fast walking pace, especially over the hill Jomtien > South Pattaya. In fact I don't jog much faster.

That's the idea.

As for the suggestion that jogging causes too much impact on the knees, well I stayed at the Ambiance a few years back and found it very convenient to run up the beach early in the morning, before it was filled with tourists. The soft surface helps.

However these days, I'm staying near Tuk Com and getting up a little later, so jogging up the beach is a much less attractive option.

Beach Road is now useless for jogging due to the structural alterations and being crowded with walkers, Asian Tour Groups congregating around pictures of them paragliding affixed to plastic plates. Also groups of Indian Men ogling girls in bikinis. Also Thais going the wrong way on the footpath on motor cycles. Groups of farangs bemoaning the decline of Pattaya as a sex tourist destination. I could go on and on.

Running there is only possible before 9 am and I'm usually otherwise occupied at that time.

Pattaya is one of the worst places in the world I have come across as a venue for the jogging enthusiast. Las Vegas and Cairo were even worse. Bangkok has Lumpini Park otherwise it's bad.

The best place is on Buddha Hill where there is a circuit around the hill, where there are a lot of runners in the early evening. In fact it's still OK during the day, owing to the shade provided by the trees and a breeze from the sea.

Pattaya is one of the worst places in the world I have come across as a venue for the jogging enthusiast. Las Vegas and Cairo were even worse. Bangkok has Lumpini Park otherwise it's bad.

I cannot quite agree as far as Bangkok is concerned, on both accounts. Firstly, Lumphini Park is currently a protest camp, so it's probably the worst park for jogging at the moment. Secondly, there's no lack of other options, depending on where you stay.

Guest abang1961

Lumpini Park WAS the place I must visit on every visit.

It is the place for my morning Qi-Gong (Chinese slow-motion kung fu training), the place where I get my REAL Chinese breakfast and the place where I ogle at the joggers.

Now, can any Bangkok guys uipdate the forum about this solace in the city (with all the stay-put protesters infesting it)..

The protesters are currently in the process of moving to the Government House area, it looks like they're vacating Lumphini Park. Peace and quiet might be restored there, let's see.

I was just in Lumphini today and it was still packed with protesters and full of tents. I call it: Lumphini Skidrow.