Guest doveman

Trip in late March/April

Guest doveman

Hello

In very good health here yet wondering from the pros on this board is i'm crazy to consider an trip there late March into mid April. Was there in October and the highest temperature I saw was around 34 or so degrees celsius.

I have some pretty good summer heat where I live but if it is just insufferable and not wise to travel there at that time i'd appreciate knowing that.

My Thai friend wants me to come there for Thai new year.

Steve

The weather in Thailand is very hard to predict. Because of Thailand's proximity to the equator the temperatures from about Phitsanulok on down are fairly consistent year-round. March and April may be quite pleasant or may be quite hot. You won't know that until you're here. So, I'd say to pack your bags and come to Thailand.

Guest ear wig

Yes your right doveman it is getting into the hot season but one thing is the humidity is not so bad just Hot, even though Songkran is around the 15ht April that will be fun, but I would not concentrate on the heat because in the day your be on the Beach with a nice cooling breeze, then your be in your room I assume your budget is running to an air/con Room and most restaurants have A?c so you will hardly feel the weather also cinemas are freezing and Shopping malls are Air Coned also Baht busses are cooling as they get going so your be fine, most newbie's feel the heat when they come out of the shower so relax after a shower watch TV for a while and have a hot cooling drink of tea of coffee.

Well the weather is the last thing your going to worry about when your in thailand with all the sites and wonderful nee smells and guyz to chase after and all the dramas that can go with it no I would not worry about the weather at all just worry who is going to be your No 1 Boyz.

Just pack your bags lay back and get ready for Paradise, no matter what time of the year I dont know any where so different every time you cum. :rolleyes:

Guest Snowkat

My Thai friend wants me to come there for Thai new year.

My personal advice is to avoid the Thai new year (Songkran) like the plague, at least in Pattaya. At a push it is an "interesting" experience once but IMHO is to be avoided at all costs - particularly if you do not like being doused with buckets full of water several times a day, necessitating frequent changes of clothes. Beside that it is virtually impossible to travel anywhere in the city in the daytime and even if you remain dry in a car with the windows up it can take over an hour to travel even half a mile. As for getting transport from Pattaya to Jomtien beach (about 3 miles) forget it. It is usually around the 16 - 21 April although the dates do vary slightly.

Most of the more sensible or affluent Thais move out of Pattaya during Songkran and return to their home areas where Songkran is practised properly. If that does not give you an indication of what it is like nothing else will. Songkran in Pattaya has been bastardised by morons, idiots and escapees from the local madhouse !

Some of the worst exponents of the bucket of water or hosepipe attacks are the non-Thai Asian shopkeepers and their families.

The weather March/April time is hot but not unbearable and when I have been there at that time the humidity has been relatively low but things do vary from year to year.

Some people like songkran and others don't. I happen to enjoy it and I dress appropriately (shorts, sandals, tee shirt, and wallet in a baggie). Anybody that goes out during Songkran (at least in the noon to 19.00 time slot) dressed normally without knowing he has a good chance of getting wet has to be an idiot.

I happen to enjoy it

Me too. I have been in Thailand for several Songkrans and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Of course, it does help very much having a car. Other than the one day that is the main day for the holiday, I've never had any trouble going from place to place. The traffic is no better or worse than any other day.

On the day of the main holiday, that's when there's no way, car or no car, to avoid getting soaked unless you remain in your hotel room for the entire day. Some people see it as a miserable experience. Not me. I'm right out there in the thick of it. I have a lot of fun and I love watching all the Thais having so much fun. Also, watching hundreds and hundreds of shirtless boys getting soaked is not my idea of a miserable experience.

Guest letmetellu

Its easy to miss Songkran if you plan your trip to coincide with the different days it is around Thailand, then end up as I did many times on Koh Samui then Koh Panang for the Full Moon or Half Moon party on the beach many guy guys from around the world there and the water is like Bath water so clean and purse check it out.

For the young at heart take a couple of boys with you as we do and your have a wonderful time, so will they never one on his own its just so boring for them.

Plan your trip via web page below

http://www.sawasdee.com/

Guest lvdkeyes

It is a much different experience to sit inyour car and watch the craziness than to have to go out in or have to go to the store or out to eat. In Pattaya the year before last I was drenched for 7 days. Last year I escaped by going to KL during sonkran. Unfortunately, I returned a day early and it took me nearly 4 hours to get from the airport to Jomtien. I was in a taxi and it was fun to watch and not get soaked. Where to go this year?????

Where to go this year?????

Wherever you go, the 'festivities' begin throughout Thailand on Friday, April 13. In Pattaya, the main day for those who dread it will be Thursday, April 19 in Pattaya.

Actually, it has been my experience that most of the Thais are very polite about it, with the exception of the 'big day.' It's usually drunken "farang" who are the majority out there splashing people on the other days, at least in Pattaya.

Last year, people trying to get to the beach on a baht bus or motorcycle taxi were plagued by the "farang" splashers. I remember one incident in which a "farang" wound up arrested because he had actually filled his squirt gun with some sort of caustic substance and was getting his jollies by injuring people.

I also personally witnessed a terrible incident on Sukhumvit Highway. It was a day or two before the main festivities, but there were pockets of revelers along the highway. I was driving in the right lane and a bus was in the left lane. All the vehicles were traveling at fairly high speed. Someone on a motorcycle suddenly came out of a side street onto the highway, directly into the path of the bus. There was no way the bus could possibly stop. The bus collided into the motorcycle. I don't think the motorcycle driver even looked before pulling out onto the highway, which comes as no great shock. He must have been dead before he even hit the ground.

Anyway, I plan to be right here in Pattaya for the holiday. I don't mind being splashed by groups of Thais, but when it is groups of "farang" without any Thais participating, I do resent that. They're not celebrating the holiday. They're just out there capitalizing on an excuse to get drunk and cause problems for everybody else.

However, for the most part I do greatly enjoy the holiday and I plan to be right here in Pattaya when it all happens.

Songkran is really about having some innocent fun and, as dangerous as it may be to take a camera out in public (I use a larger baggie!),, it's my favorite time to take photos of the beaming Thai smiles. Some examples (Songkran in Chiangmai):

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Guest letmetellu

Those are amazing pictures so much fun and innocent fun for next to nothing if only more miserable farang knew how to enjoy them self for very little they would be much more fun on here you can tell who is fun person and who is not just see how depressed they get here, shame really its there loss.

I can never understand farangs talking off a boy then drag him from bar to bar a Bar is the last place they want to be and Gay areas are the very last places they want to be its like working at a job, then on your night off go back to work, try asking the boys what they want to do your have far more fun and see the smiles is all you need to make life worth living to the max.