vinapu

Sick buffalo stories - legend or truth ?

One of our Esteemed and Distinguished contributors in another thread wondered if stories of boys requesting money because family buffalo is sick or just died are truth or just  legend of gay Thailand.

Since I also never had such a request from boy either I'm curious what others have to say  - did you have boy who wanted money for buffalo or you just heard it from your neighbor's best friend cousin?

Maybe it's because buffaloes are not to be found on Thai farms anymore. I've no idea about this as my travels in Thailand are largely to Pattaya and occasionally to Bkk, which are not known to major agricultural centres. Perhaps Thai farmers are now mechanised.

If this is true we should look out for requests to help out with repairing the tractor gearbox or the hydraulic rice planter.

I agree with the others, I think actual/literal "sick buffalo" stories have become very rare or even extinct, for various reasons.

But ultimately it doesn't matter, many other stories told in the same vein have taken their place. Sick or deceased family members, rent or tuition due, ... In some cases it's an obvious fabrication and in others it's not so clear, especially when someone is genuinely poor or at least notoriously bad when it comes to managing money.

Its an urban legend.

However, kwaay=buffalo are certainly NOT all dead or extinct. Just see how much of meat from those beasts is for sell at local markets.

It also appears to me, that about any story about it comes from that seaside resort named Pattaya. Stories that are successfull in getting money out of farang are very often-always passed on, maybe even also for a small donation. Same for winning lotteree numbers.

Or maybe its even more simple: PTY is sooooo utter boring, that people staying there have nothing better to do as recounting old folktales. Same as all USAers-who always tell they are so time-conscious, can spend/spoil hours discussing the right amount of tip. Others never cease to discuss if beer Chang or beer Singh is better.

Or maybe its even more simple: PTY is sooooo utter boring, that people staying there have nothing better to do as recounting old folktales. Same as all USAers-who always tell they are so time-conscious, can spend/spoil hours discussing the right amount of tip. Others never cease to discuss if beer Chang or beer Singh is better.

pong, another urban legion perpetuated by those who think their shit doesn't stink.

Guest joseph44

Apart from the buffalo-stories, there is:

- the sick sister in the hospital

- the broken car of papa

- the roof need to be fixed

- money to be paid for school

- mama with cancer

- papa in jail

Guest joseph44

joseph but did YOU actually heard those stories from boy or just heard about them from others ?

apart from the mother with cancer and the papa in jail......I heard them first hand.

didn't give in though