vinapu

Golden Cock, soi 6, reports of being upgraded

There's report on CFS forum that  Golden Cock is being upgraded with both new furniture and new professionals.

This would be good as that  bar, an icon of old good days  became dump recently and it was always handy due to early afternoon opening if somebody felt on loose end.

Hope somebody in BKK will volunteer to inspect premises for us, from my rotation  its first on my list to visit next time but I don't think I'll be able to go to LOS before end of this year.

I've never been to Golden Cock myself, but I've read quite a bit about it. So here's my question: Wasn't the fact that it was kind of a dump part of its particular appeal to those who liked the place? Won't it be just like many other bars after the upgrade?

No-it was so long not being properly upgraded/renovated, that one sat on the springs of the sofa, and that even the tape trying to hold it together got broke. Besides that furniture, I think the whole bar as such has not been upgraded since it opened (way before 1990). Just wondering if it was/is the old owner (a former staffmember) or a change of ownership. And there are not that many bars in BKK working with the same format for ''gogo'' in the afternoon, it was firmly the only 1.

But for afternoon direct on the spot treatment (masath sir?0 BKK and that area abounds with possibilities-for a quick jump in the hay, why all that fuss with drinks, pay off, then just have to wait and see what will develop, etc.

Guest Promsak

No-it was so long not being properly upgraded/renovated, that one sat on the springs of the sofa, and that even the tape trying to hold it together got broke. Besides that furniture, I think the whole bar as such has not been upgraded since it opened (way before 1990). Just wondering if it was/is the old owner (a former staffmember) or a change of ownership. And there are not that many bars in BKK working with the same format for ''gogo'' in the afternoon, it was firmly the only 1.

But for afternoon direct on the spot treatment (masath sir?0 BKK and that area abounds with possibilities-for a quick jump in the hay, why all that fuss with drinks, pay off, then just have to wait and see what will develop, etc.

Rubbish!

For the past recent years the bar has been clean, well airconditioned and equipped with WiFi.

The owner, Art, up to now has been really charming and friendly. True, some of his boys have been there a long time ---- shame on him for not throwing them out with the garbage.

The bar, to my memory, has never had afternoon agogo ---- it always was due to start at 20:30.

The bar was open and the boys were always around from lunchtime (some lived upstairs).

Well, he has now sold up to a new owner who is rumoured to have been an ex boy at Golden Cock or another gogo bar.

This poster (quoted) has again got it wrong as so often is the case when one can figure out what he is trying to say.

Maybe he is getting confused with Super A when it used to be upstairs.

Perhaps he would be kind enough to tell us when he last observed the state of Golden Cock that warranted his comments. I was there one week ago.

I too will be interested and hopeful to see what the new owners make of it -- it would be nice to have life again in Silom Soi 6.

I'm not sure it's shame not throwing long standing employees with the garbage as promsak suggested, may be they did the job after all ?

Anyways is good to know Golden Cock is upgraded and still in the business, soi 6 always was an alternative to soi Twilight and it always good to have a choice with a bonus of cheaper drink and off prices.

Guest Promsak

I'm not sure it's shame not throwing long standing employees with the garbage as promsak suggested, may be they did the job after all ?

Sorry Vinapu ---- maybe I was being as incomprehensible as Pong. I was trying to be ironic (or is it sarcastic?) ---- I really admire Art for keeping his long term employees. They were all friendly --- sometimes VERY friendly. Occasionally new staff would join.

Anyway, they've all gone now. The one that I affectionally called Chubbs is working in an hotel.

Art himself has gone upcountry to be with his family.

The area became very quiet when Wirat closed Solid Bar and moved to Soi Twighlight.

The Solid premises was incorporated into the Issan music bar next door. Now that is a fun place to visit very late at night if you like such places. Not gay but live Issan music, lots of boys from the bars after work and one or two very acceptable waiters.

Guest shuee

good luck to this set of bars, yes a nice alternative to soi twilight, but we need more gay bars/agogo here, heartbeart should have opened up shop here, but instead they braved it out alone & folded quickly

I was in Golden Cock a few months ago, don't remember problems with furniture.

"Open in the afternoon" means nothing more that a few boys stay in the premises, and mamasan will wake them from their slumber if a customer walks past/in. I walked past Super A recently on an afternoon, tried to look through the glass door, whereupon a boy opened and I saw a few sleeping in the bar.

I visited GC only one time a few years ago. I think I must have just been there at an odd time, probably too early in the evening. It was empty and quiet. It seemed clean enough to me. I sat at the bar to have a drink and was eventually surrounded by a couple of boys I wasn't interested in but who wouldn't take no for an answer. Chatted with the bartender a bit. Didn't stay long. Just not my scene I guess.

coming from Silom soi  6 forks out at Mango restaurant, short stretch leading  straight to Suriwong houses Tawan, Sun massage and  Indra massage , left , longer fork is home to Super A and  Golden Cock on your left and Nature Boy on your right

Guest abang1961

The retail business is all about location.

If there is sufficient human traffic, the business is more likely to be successful.

However,crowd has not always translate to actual revenue.

Bars open, bars closed, restaurants open, restaurants closed.

Even the Star-Michelin restaurants in Marina Bay Sands and Resort World Sentosa were forced to close because of lack of patrons/gourmet lovers here in Singapore.

The bars are tapping the same reservoir of customers and unless, they have something unique to offer, they will go one after another.  Many of such gay establishments should recoup their investments in the first 8 to 12 months..otherwise, they will never survive.

With regards to the quality and age of the go-go boys, there is always endless supply of naive young farm boys, right?  :p

Guest Hereforme2

Golden Cock was in a class of its own people knew where it was and they went, the bar changed dramatically when they gave up the second floor where the original bar was up the stairs, if you wanted sleaze that's where you went. Further down the street was Solid now the mamasan runs a beer bar on Soi twilight he told me at solid his rent was doubled, future down is Nature Boy, small with very few boys.

The retail business is all about location.

If there is sufficient human traffic, the business is more likely to be successful.

However,crowd has not always translate to actual revenue.

I'd say business is about providing what customers want, location is important but businesses on main street are folding too. 

Dreamboys is in the same location like other bars , charges much more than tem and somehow manages to pull bigger crowds than most of neighbors.

Hero's location is disaster at end of soi , not even well posted and without advertising and website remains most popular gay massage place in the whole BKK by far. 

Guest Hereforme2

Golden Cock was in a class of its own people knew where it was and they went, the bar changed dramatically when they gave up the second floor where the original bar was up the stairs, if you wanted sleaze that's where you went. Further down the street was Solid now the mamasan runs a beer bar on Soi twilight he told me at solid his rent was doubled, future down is Nature Boy, small with very few boys.

Meant to say super A was in a class' of its own.