Bob

Continuing Political Non-Commentary

Voranai Vanijaka of the Bangkok Post continues to discuss - or alludes to discussing - the current (as in decades-long) political situation here in Thailand.  You can read it here:  http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/390300/with-all-sides-wrong-there-can-be-no-right

He approaches a critical topic which helps one understand why Thailand is where it is these days but wisely (given he enjoys his freedom) doesn't cross any lines.  For example, he says:

"First, for decades the old elites have struggled over the "destiny of Thailand's future". Thaksin happened to invest in a future they do not welcome, to put it mildly. It's a conflict of, not just interests but survival. We shall leave it there."

Unfortunately, we too are compelled at least partially to "leave it there" as some parts of what he is alluding to cannot be discussed; however, not all of the "old elites" have lese majeste protection and they include a whole lot of high-ranking military men (most of whom are now "retired") and, for lack of a better term, the group of elite who have ruled Thailand through their wealth, political connections, and, from their point of view, their god-given-right to do what they see best for the their own pocketbooks and the "rest of them."  Democracy - where those dimwitted farmers from the rural areas have the audacity to believe they can control the government (money and the potential to limit corruption) because their votes count for more by their sheer numbers - just doesn't cut it as they believe (incorrectly in my view) that it presents the possibility/likelihood that their slice of the pie might be reduced.  Their fears, I think, are actually incorrect as every democratic nation has had the same phenomenon occuring where a smaller and smaller percentage of the population control more and more of the wealth of that nation; regardless, the elite do seem to be concerned that elections in themselves present a significant threat to their interests.

Their power and their wealth (one in the same in most societies) substantially stems in my view from the protection they've been given by others and which, perhaps, they feel they've paid for by their patronage and partial subservience.  Without that protection, a happening that's awaiting events we can't discuss, then perhaps they truly feel that they then will be at the full mercy of this unknown and fickle beast known as democracy. That, to them, is pretty scary. 

Why do I think this post just parallels the USA except for the Royal Family?  As someone once said Democracy is messy.  Very Messy!

Not quite.  In the USA's 240 years no one has ever called for less democracy.  Our conservative groups seem more interested in not extended the democracy we have, rather then ending it.

Why do I think this post just parallels the USA except for the Royal Family?  As someone once said Democracy is messy.  Very Messy!

I think the clever thing about the US is the political system's ability to draw all the criticism to its elected representatives and institutions. The checks and balances work! Democracy is alive and kicking! Or so it appears.

While those decisions that really matter are, of course, made elsewhere, just like in Thailand and most other countries. If you don't fit in, you simply won't have your campaign funded. If you really mess up, you'll have an accident or some nutter will shoot you dead.

But hey, they've been practicing since 1776.

Comparing the political history or current situation here in Thailand with that in the US (or the UK, Germany, Australia, etc.) is a bit mind-boggling.......not to mention a bit off-topic.  I'd likely join in some criticisms of the situation in the US, Firecat, but why don't we do that in a thread you start for that purpose? 

I concur with your comments.  In spite of some legislative efforts to benefit the lower classes, the long-term record for the last 40-50 years back in the states has not been in favor of the poor or even the middle class at all.  Their share of the "pie" is lower now while the share held by the top 5% has only increased. I've read that the situation (percentage of wealth held by a small minority) is even worse here in Thailand but, then again, one always has to wonder if any statistics issued by any Thai governmental agency have any level of accuracy.  The recent rise in the minimum wage here, for example, likely won't have much effect (plus it seems a whole lot of people here - at least in the Chiangmai area - aren't being paid the minimum wage in any event). 

as long as economically lower classes are provided with opportunity of improvement and half-decent life gaps in  income are tolerated and capitalistic system understood it very well as long as was threatened by challenge from communism.

When communism collapsed under it's own weight greed seems to be prevailing, looks us economically upper classes forgot what is in their best interest -social peace to make even  more money.

Younger generation in the West looks as first to expect to have lower standard of life than their parents working part-time contracts at age when their parents  were mostly settled  with permanent positions and careers. 

Add to this challenge from new technologies and it's possible we will see more Thailand type upheavals closer to home in near future , God forbid

A story by Aljazeera today indicates that 85 people in the world own half the world's wealth and that disparity between the rich and poor is growing and "threatening democracy."  I'm not sure I buy all the writer's premises but the story is interesting....The article is here: http://www.aljazeera.com/video/europe/2014/01/oxfam-says-world-rich-threaten-democracy-2014120235946861191.html

If that's indeed true - and I also don't know if that's the case - "World Revolution" will be quite an easy task: Whack these 85 individuals for being unusually rich and distribute their wealth "fairly". Then wait for a few decades, after which an "unfair" distribution of wealth will probably have been established yet again. Rinse and repeat. ;)

easy task: Whack these 85 individuals for being unusually rich and distribute their wealth "fairly". Then wait for a few decades, after which an "unfair" distribution of wealth will probably have been established yet again. Rinse and repeat. ;)

Easy but very unpleasant to all involved, probably better idea is to fleece them deeper and closer to skin explaining that this is a price of avoidance such unpleasantries.

It worked for most of 20 century , after all it was not communists who established in  public health service in England, worker compensation in Canada or Social Security pensions  in the USA.