Guest chicolby

Question about Thai law

Guest chicolby

What is the legal age of consent in Thailand? I've had a 17 year old messaging me online and while he's oh so cute, I don't want to end up in Thai jail if 17 is illegal.

Any info is appreciated.

Guest anonone

Bottom line for any Non-Thai person in Thailand:  Age of consent is 18 years old.  Do not engage in any type of activity with anyone under the age of 18.

Guest SpermAholic

There is also your own moral age of consent. Use it wisely please. I hate seeing young Thai boys (and girls) with "old men" just because they think they can have a better life. At 17, they are still children so of you "friend" him please do it with good intentions and not with sex on your mind. Try to stear him in the right direction and even end your coffee conversation with giving him 1000 baht or so just to be cool if he is a nice boy.

Unless you see their Thai id cards you never know what their real age is and it sure ain't worth ending up in the legal system paying the police thousand and thousands of baht to keep your ass out of jail.

Although the legal age of consent in Thailand is 15, you can be charged still with having sex with any person under 18.

Lets say for example a guy wanted to marry a 15 year old girl, her parents might give er away if they feel it is in decency however if he had sex with that same girl without this consend he can be charged.

There is also your own moral age of consent. Use it wisely please.

I like your statement very much, thank you. It should be added that moral age of consent can't be lower than legal age.

Somebody on this board once  wisely said that is not engaging with boy he would have second thoughts about being seen on busy street with  in broad daylight, another wise man claimed that is not going with boy he feels he  needs to check his birthday on ID.

And this is not only for fear of breaking law but should come out of common decency as SpermAholic suggested.

Bottom line for any Non-Thai person in Thailand:  Age of consent is 18 years old. 

Although the legal age of consent in Thailand is 15, you can be charged still with having sex with any person under 18.

These answers are factually wrong and/or  confusing and misleading for people who want to understand their legal situation in Thailand

the age of consent laws in Thailand contain no reference to nationality, and the age of consent is 15 - search online for the actual statutes and you will see this is correct

foreign nationals are however far more likely to be charged under the anti-prostitution laws - buying a bowl of noodles for someone or offering "taxi fare home" is as likely to be interpreted as offering money for sex as is handing over actual cash

all prostitution is illegal in Thailand, search online for the actual statutes and penalties,  but in reality the three cases are, regardless of nationality:

- where the prostitute is over 18 the law is rarely enforced

- where the prostitute is over 15 but under 18 the law is often enforced and penalties are severe

- where the prostitute is under 15 the law is often enforced and the penalties are very severe

The situation is also confounded by laws from your home country that relate to sex offenses committed overseas - so ignoring the possibility of prosecution under Thai laws the situation for an American, an Australian and an Italian for example engaging in sex with a 17 yo regarding prosecution under home country laws are significantly different

The original question was about age of consent and this is a legal issue not a moral issue so it is important to understand the legal issues involved, though usually when I make posts like this I am accused of supporting pedophilia which I don't  - I just think it is important to understand the relevant laws and statements like "Age of consent is 18" are just not helpful!

There is also your own moral age of consent. Use it wisely please. I hate seeing young Thai boys (and girls) with "old men" just because they think they can have a better life. At 17, they are still children so of you "friend" him please do it with good intentions and not with sex on your mind. Try to stear him in the right direction and even end your coffee conversation with giving him 1000 baht or so just to be cool if he is a nice boy.

so "old men" having coffee with a younger Thai guy for 1000 baht is OK but sex is not?

what gets to set what is "morally acceptable" in Thailand?

bkkguy

Guest anonone

bkkguy...I take your point and agree there are many details when it comes to the written law.

I do also stand by my original post.  For any non-Thai person, you should view the age of consent as 18 years old.  Regardless of whatever you read or what the actual law says, in the reality of the real world there is tremendous risk involved if you don't follow the +18 standard.

It is fine to argue out the details of the fine line on an internet forum.  A totally different thing to argue about it if discovered with someone under 18.

So, the "bottom line" that you should view the age of consent as 18 is indeed helpful to most...if not all.

so "old men" having coffee with a younger Thai guy for 1000 baht is OK but sex is not?

what gets to set what is "morally acceptable" in Thailand?

so you are saying that having a coffee and having a sex are the same or similar things?

forget about age,

if we re-phrase  this question : so "old men 'having a coffee with his sister / mother is OK but sex is not ?

how we answer? do we really need to seek guidance on such a question, in Thailand or elsewhere.

I'm not sure I understood quoted statement correctly 

in the reality of the real world there is tremendous risk involved if you don't follow the +18 standard.

Morality and law aside, do people realize how child molesters are treated by prison population :?

It's like standing  whole sentence with firing squad in the back.

I do also stand by my original post.  For any non-Thai person, you should view the age of consent as 18 years old.

Mirriam Webster Dictionary:

age of consent: the age at which one is legally competent to give consent especially to marriage or to sexual intercourse

Collins English Dictionary:

age of consent: the age at which a person is considered legally competent to consent to sexual intercourse

Oxford English Dictionary:

age of consent: the age at which a person’s consent to sexual intercourse is valid in law.

I don't have a Thai dictionary to hand but I would be surprised if the definition is that different but perhaps someone can enlighten me

then we have

Anonone Dictionary:

age of consent: in Thailand only, for a non-Thai having sex with a Thai only, 18 even thought the law says 15

words have meaning, that is why we can use them in discussion and understand what the other person is saying, except it seems when talking to you where you want to change the meaning of "age of consent" in this limited context - good luck in getting the major dictionaries to agree with you!

The title for this thread is "Question about Thai law" so for the rest of you out there who don't want to rewrite the dictionary the age of consent under Thai law is 15 but the laws you need to know about and understand are the prostitution laws - I really don't understand why this is so difficult for some people to understand.

so you are saying that having a coffee and having a sex are the same or similar things?

I'm not sure I understood quoted statement correctly

go back and read the SpermAholic text I quoted - he said he did not like seeing "old falung" with young Thais and suggested after a coffee with a Thai twink the falung should just "end your coffee conversation with giving him 1000 baht or so just to be cool if he is a nice boy", so I was just querying why tipping a younger Thai 1,000 Baht for having coffee with you was morally more acceptable than tipping the same Thai for sex - at least in SpermAholic's mind

bkkguy

Guest chicolby

Just to add a little more context to the original request. The 17 year old who approached me (online) was not a prostitute nor was he looking for money exchange for sex. 

Yes, he had sexual talk - but he was looking for romance and sex, but not in exchange for money.

That said, I agree with earlier posters - I think it's something I should avoid regardless. Not worth the headache. 

so I was just querying why tipping a younger Thai 1,000 Baht for having coffee with you was morally more acceptable than tipping the same Thai for sex - at least in SpermAholic's mind

Possibly because tipping boy 1000 for having a coffee is act of charity and is not much harm in drinking coffee with stranger.

Having sex with the same stranger  bears possibility of harm / STC , unwanted pregnacy in case of girls /  which requires an assessment by mature person , hence age restriction by law , common sense, cultural norms  and moral obligations.

I don't think SpermAholic is alone in his oppinion

Guest anonone

Mirriam Webster Dictionary:

age of consent: the age at which one is legally competent to give consent especially to marriage or to sexual intercourse

Collins English Dictionary:

age of consent: the age at which a person is considered legally competent to consent to sexual intercourse

Oxford English Dictionary:

age of consent: the age at which a person’s consent to sexual intercourse is valid in law.

I don't have a Thai dictionary to hand but I would be surprised if the definition is that different but perhaps someone can enlighten me

then we have

Anonone Dictionary:

age of consent: in Thailand only, for a non-Thai having sex with a Thai only, 18 even thought the law says 15

words have meaning, that is why we can use them in discussion and understand what the other person is saying, except it seems when talking to you where you want to change the meaning of "age of consent" in this limited context - good luck in getting the major dictionaries to agree with you!

The title for this thread is "Question about Thai law" so for the rest of you out there who don't want to rewrite the dictionary the age of consent under Thai law is 15 but the laws you need to know about and understand are the prostitution laws - I really don't understand why this is so difficult for some people to understand.

Speaking of not understanding why this is so difficult for some people (you) to understand....

I was very clear in saying that there are many aspects and details to the written law. 

I take your point and agree there are many details when it comes to the written law.

In no place did I attempt to define per some anonone dictionary an alternate, legal definition of age of consent.

Let me again quote myself here, as apparently you didn't read it:

For any non-Thai person, you should view the age of consent as 18 years old.  Regardless of whatever you read or what the actual law says, in the reality of the real world there is tremendous risk involved if you don't follow the +18 standard.

As this is a forum in which most every participant is a non-Thai gay person looking for advice on activities in Thailand, it is very prudent to say, bottom-line...in the real world....that you should view the age of consent as 18. 

If I wanted to discuss the minutia of Thai law, I would be participating on a Thai law forum. 

As this is a forum in which most every participant is a non-Thai gay person looking for advice on activities in Thailand, it is very prudent to say, bottom-line...in the real world....that you should view the age of consent as 18. 

you can advise people to "view" the age of consent as 18, 50 or the colour blue or anything else you like, but the "view" the police will take is that it is 15 and they will be looking elsewhere in the statute books for laws to press charges under - the  prostitution laws

the various discussions forums are already full of misleading or factually incorrect information so it is hard enough for someone reading the forums to try to make an informed decision about a "safe age" to have sex in Thailand but personally I think they are much better off understanding the "view" of the police rather than the "view" of someone who does not know what the the law is and finds it too much effort to even begin to make a start on understanding the situation here!

Possibly because tipping boy 1000 for having a coffee is act of charity and is not much harm in drinking coffee with stranger.

OK I can understand the possible physical and medical risks involved with sex, but the moral lesson we are teaching a younger Thai in this scenario escapes me - even in a patronage society like Thailand 1,000 Baht of "charity" for having coffee with an elder seems a bit over the top!

unless of course the youth is of voting age or is pledging the fruit of his fields rather than of his loins! but then the elder would be Thai not farung!

bkkguy

I don't think SpermAholic is alone in his oppinion

On the one hand we have SpermAholic saying:

I hate seeing young Thai boys (and girls) with "old men" just because they think they can have a better life.

on the other hand we have him saying:

All these people cuming to Pattaya and I can't get any loads in my mouth ! :(

We were not pig farmers by any means but I guess I have been known to squeel like a PIG once or twice. lol. It is not easy to find cocks to suck here in Pattaya to be honest and with my sperm addiction it really sucks. ...Anyways folks as you might think I am also a very submissive slave.

and from CFS:

I live in Pattaya in a decent condo and can host anyone that wants a really great blow job from a swallower. I also have a very tiny little bum that I love having used.

I could suck you off in a cinima if you cum to Pattaya. I swallow too

I am a slim, white CD living in Pattaya and I am always looking for cocks to suck or to take in my tiny little ass. I am addicted to sperm so I will ALWAYS swallow every drop.

and even in his profile here he states his interests are

sucking cock, swallowing cum, being fucked, drinking hot piss, licking assholes, public humiliation, being a slave, degradation

So this self-confessed "cum dump" recently arrived from North America is the person we are supposed to be taking moral guidance from regarding the subtleties of cross-generational and cross-nationality sex in a sexually ambiguous but still mostly conservative culture like Thailand?

or who else do you think "hates" to see younger Thai guys with older farung and thinks 1,000 baht "charity" tip for a cup of coffee is reasonable?

bkkguy

Guest anonone

you can advise people to "view" the age of consent as 18, 50 or the colour blue or anything else you like, but the "view" the police will take is that it is 15 and they will be looking elsewhere in the statute books for laws to press charges under - the  prostitution laws

the various discussions forums are already full of misleading or factually incorrect information so it is hard enough for someone reading the forums to try to make an informed decision about a "safe age" to have sex in Thailand but personally I think they are much better off understanding the "view" of the police rather than the "view" of someone who does not know what the the law is and finds it too much effort to even begin to make a start on understanding the situation here!

It is actually very easy for anyone reading the forums.  Stay away from sexual activities with anyone under the age of 18.

The original poster has already (correctly) decided to avoid the person in question.  All in all, a good thing he will not need to put your legal advice to the test in the real world.

I have known several "wanna-be" lawyers, and a couple with a fetish for semantics.  I have learned it is pointless to engage with either, let alone someone who is apparently both.

Nothing left here for me to contribute on this topic.

Peace out.

So this self-confessed "cum dump" recently arrived from North America is the person we are supposed to be taking moral guidance from regarding the subtleties of cross-generational and cross-nationality sex in a sexually ambiguous but still mostly conservative culture like Thailand?

In defense of SpermAholic I need to say that none on those laboriously collected quotations from his advances indicates in any way that he has in mind young Thais or young  boys at all ,

I was under impression he is not picky at all as of age and race of his prospective entertainers.   

If convicted thief tells to all who listen that theft is immoral and criminal it's still valuable moral guidance albeit we may doubt it's sincerity.

As for boys, personally subject of this thread is pure theory for me as I like them visibly older and meatier than recent high school graduates

Guest SpermAholic

On the one hand we have SpermAholic saying:

on the other hand we have him saying:

and from CFS:

and even in his profile here he states his interests are

or who else do you think "hates" to see younger Thai guys with older farung and thinks 1,000 baht "charity" tip for a cup of coffee is reasonable?

bkkguy

For an English teacher you seem to be quite retarted, lacking morality and basically un-educated.

"Recently arrived from North America" I have been here for 13 years strait as you would have know when you were stalking my posts.

1) Vinapu: you are correct. Not once did I ever say I was into Thai boys.

2) Bkkguy: I am not gay. I am bi and would never go with a Thai. I am only into White guys mostly for sex. I have never had sex with a Thai guy.

3) Yes I am a sperm pig and proud of it.

4) Having been here for 13 years strait, speaking fluent Thai I think that my advice to the OP was quite good stating Thai Law Facts and using common sense or Moral age of consent.I know Thai law inside and out.

5) You really do seem quite "freakish" stalking all of my post from this site and even other sites. Do you do that while your students are working?

6) Yes I do hate to see fat, bald, ugly old men here with young girls and boys. It totally disgusts me. Are you defending that for some reason?

7) By the way, it is "Farang" not "Farung". sala ah as in bang, not sala uh as in ugly. :)

6) Yes I do hate to see fat, bald, ugly old men here with young girls and boys. It totally disgusts me. Are you defending that for some reason?

:)

This I do not quite believe - if this is  a case why you tormenting yourself living in Pattaya?. 

You see this scene 8 days a week , 25 hours a day there.

What about not that skinny, grey haired with bald spot on the top of head , not yet retired, neither retarded,  men with boy in mid-twenties? Just making sure I'd not disgust you.

What about not that skinny, grey haired with bald spot on the top of head , not yet retired, neither retarded,  men with boy in mid-twenties? Just making sure I'd not disgust you.

This reminds me of an incident  a few years ago; I was sitting at a beer bar in Sunee Plaza waiting for my bf who was parking his motorbike. While chatting with the farang owner  in walks my bf and sits near me. The owner was horrified and told him to get out as he thought the bf was a street boy.  After finding the truth the owner was mortified and never forgot that!  The bf was in his mid-twenties  but looked much younger. So best not to jump to conclusions when one sees an older-younger pair.

Guest SpermAholic

I think you know what I mean. In the cases I mention, the young boy/girl would NEVER go with these particular people except they are poor and need money. I just don't like ANY poor country where the locals have to submise themselves to being with people they would normally find disgusting just to feed their families and to live.

If some of these same people I mention would try to pick up the same boy/girl in a first worldnation where they have good lifes and jobs etc it would never happen.

Let's say a young Thai boy/girl falls in love with one of the people I mention, that is a different story.

I guess I just feel sorry for any person anywhere that has to spend sexual times with people they would rather not be with just to eat and survive etc.

As one Thai guy said to me, "I sell my ass to help support my mother and younger sister".

work like any other , at least not dusty like my father used to say.

On more serious note I heard the same sentence from one of my November boys / he did not mention sister /

Guest SpermAholic

This is one thing I do respect about prostitution in Thailand; back home, if you take a prostitute (male or female) they keep looking at their watches waiting for it to be over so they can call their dealer for another fix of cocaine or herion and that is where every last penny goes.

In Thailand, 90% of them send most of the money back home to help suppor their families with food, education and clothing for their brothers and sisters etc.

Over the years I cannot count how many bar girls I have sat with in the bar playing games or taken then out for dinner and then just giving them 1000 baht to go home or back to work without asking for sex . I do this for a couple of reasons: They gain a little more respect for some of us foreigners (farangs) and might believe that we are all not just sex mongering tourists, and also because I know it will go to help their families.