Guest trailrider

Thais not smart people

(1)  Do you think the voters or the military ought to decide who the leaders of a country should be?

this is one of those deceptively simple questions where the answer seems so obvious, a bit like the "I've got nothing to hide" stance in the privacy debate, but it is just a distraction from the real issues

with apologies to Benjamin Franklin, the sham democracy that exists in Thailand is like "two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch"

Thailand currently is not, and never has been, anything even close to a democratic society and neither side in the current political conflict has any interest in supporting the political, social, educational and civic reforms needed to move in that direction

The issue is not whether we want reform and an election. The real question is whether politicians really want reforms which, if carried out, would put a large number of them out of the game. That's probably the main reason why the turmoil stubbornly refuses to go away.

Reform: Separating political rhetoric from substance

What the world is witnessing in Thailand is (at least) two competing definitions of democracy. One favours process, emphasises form over substance, and gives undue priority to elections. Thais who subscribe to this definition care less about how democratically the government behaves after elections. The other definition puts more weight on the spirit and substance of democracy and what it ought to bring. Thais who identify with this view do not realise that they cannot achieve truly democratic ends by suspending the electoral process. The most likely correct answer is that a vibrant democracy requires both notions. But it is myopic, if not wrong, to suggest that the first group is more democratic than the second.

They're not just anti-democratic riff-raff

bkkguy

As I've mentioned before, I asked a few close Thai friends after the 2006 coup what they thought about it (I was real neutral asking the question so I wouldn't spark a reaction).  The answer I got (exactly in two of the cases) was: "It's not my business."  That answer totally shocked me and I didn't follow up asking more questions (although, in my mind, I wanted to say: "Well, if it's not your business, who the hell's business is it!?!") as I didn't believe it was my business to get involved or to show my western contempt of the general apathy.

I've often noticed much the same reaction, and it has left me just as baffled as you.

However, I do have the feeling that something has changed within the last couple of years. When I talk to Thai friends nowadays, even those who used to be apolitical/indifferent do tend to have an opinion now. And are usually very firm and outspoken about it. Some have also switched sides over the years; I did have the impression that Khun Yinluck was quite popular at the beginning of her term, even among those whom I wouldn't have put in the TS/Red Shirt camp.

I'm actually less concerned about the military than about the increasing polarization and determination of 'ordinary' people. The military will or won't do their thing, and if they do, some people will die and that's probably the end of it for a while (based on previous coups). What worries me, however, is the many violent clashes between opposing groups of more or less regular folks, and not just in Bangkok. Far too often something that should be limited to a verbal exchange of arguments leaves people injured or dead.

I'm actually less concerned about the military than about the increasing polarization and determination of 'ordinary' people. The military will or won't do their thing, and if they do, some people will die and that's probably the end of it for a while (based on previous coups). What worries me, however, is the many violent clashes between opposing groups of more or less regular folks, and not just in Bangkok. Far too often something that should be limited to a verbal exchange of arguments leaves people injured or dead.

Interesting oped  article in Chiang Mai's online newpaper:  Tanks to roll into bangkok tomorrow

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=2962

Guest Tball73

All the beautiful Thai boys should just go back to the go-go platforms and fish tanks ...

I know a country's politics should not have to take a backseat for my sexcapades, but politics be damned! I only have one short vacation left until April!

All the beautiful Thai boys should just go back to the go-go platforms and fish tanks ...

I know a country's politics should not have to take a backseat for my sexcapades, but politics be damned! I only have one short vacation left until April!

don't worry and just go, have you eyes open for developments though

Guest SpermAholic

Wow so many good posts regarding the present political crisis. I would also like to ad that as Thailand's status now is only a "developing country" status, whoever runs the country after all this is said and done will also have to realize that they have "ASEAN" to deal with and if Thailand falls out of the ASEAN partnership it will be a lonely country that will fall back into a "third world" status.

All I can say now is the next week will be very interesting and I pray for all those who will die over the next few weeks here.

Regarding ASEAN - or more specifically the AEC - I think there's a good chance that they'll just postpone it again (and keep postponing it). Even if the current outbreak of the ongoing political crisis in Thailand is short-lived, but more likely if it drags on for an extended period of time. Thailand just isn't ready and I think that's well understood.

Guest abang1961

If my memory serves me correctly and those History lessons during my school days in  the 70s, Thailand was the only country that was NEVER  a colony. The British had Malaysia and Burma, now Myanmar, the Dutch had Indonesia and the French had the Indo-China countries.  And ASEAN was formed with just 5 countries and therefore it continued to expand to its current 11 members. Of course, the economic and social status varies from country to country.

Thailand has always been the chief exporter of rice until it was overtaken by India in the past few years (no thanks to Yingluck's rice subsidy).  So with the volatile situation now, it is anyone's guess whether the army is going too (finally) interfere and stage the much-anticipated coup.

What is troubling now is that Thaksin stronghold on the farmers if this rice scandal continues. And I am monitoring the situation closely because it will have the domino effect on the ASEAN economy.

**Plus to be honest, none of us on this forum wants to see bloodshed and turmoil in Thailand.

We want Thailand to be the haven/gay mecca on Asia forever and ever..., right?

....it is anyone's guess whether the army is going too (finally) interfere and stage the much-anticipated coup.

what do you mean 'finally ' , do you think coup will resolve anything other than possibly increasing demands for coffins for a few days and calming few hot heads for while ?