MrBill

Koh Samui or...?

Looking for some advice from those who have travelled more extensively around the area than I have.

I just booked a flight to LOS for 10 day stay late Nov. I plan on staying in Pattaya for about 5-6 days and end my trip in BKK for 2 days. It's the in-between part I need help with. I thought about a side trip to Bali but pretty expensive from BKK. Vietnam I can do for $175 r/t on LH. I went to CM last trip. Did Phuket once before and wasn't that thrilled especially after a mamasan at My Way tried to rip me off (and when I told the owner he just walked away).

Reviewing the city info on this site, I am now considering Koh Samui. I found a Hotel that is reasonably priced overlooking the ocean with balcony Jacuzzi for 2. I understand that nightlife is more laid back and not the same number of bars as BKK or Pattaya and that's OK. Any personal experiences I can take advantage of? is 4 days/3 nights too much?

Thanks in advance.

Not having been to Samui recently I cannot offer any useful comment I'm afraid.

I see you are planning 10 days in Thailand, that's great, but it seems to me to try and squeeze in something between Pattaya and Bangkok is maybe rushing it a bit. . . unless the place you choose is quick and easy to get to - presumably you will be getting to and from wherever it is you decide upon from Bangkok.

I have only visited Bali once and IMO it is worth a visit on it's own, rather than tacking it on as a 'side trip' from Thailand. Vietnam ditto.

I have only visited Bali once and IMO it is worth a visit on it's own, rather than tacking it on as a 'side trip' from Thailand. Vietnam ditto.

You are absolutely right. I was in Bali  8 days in May and even this was not enough for me . And I did sightseeing only as, no chasing boys as I left that part to Thailand leg of  trip, 

Vietnam warrants even more time.

For side trip Luang Prabang in Laos would be more suitable but even there there's enough to do for 3-4 days at least.

I'm also slowly evolving away from cramming too much into a holiday.   After all, it is a holiday, so taking it easy works.

Luang Prabang would be an outstanding side trip.  I spent 5 days there and really enjoyed it.

Also, Siem Reap in Cambodia. 

Definitely in agreement with Vinapu and Z re Luang Prabang. However, I'd suggest fitting that into an extended visit to Laos, which is a country ideally suited to travelling at a slower pace.

With ten days only then your thoughts on Samui ought to work out fine, provided flights there and back to Bangkok fit in with your travel plans. You've probably already checked out flights so if they are convenient your projected time spent there seems reasonable to me. As you will already have been several days in Pattaya by then it probably won't matter so much if the nightlife is a bit tamer!

Pattaya: 5 nights / 6 days

Samui: 3 nights / 4 days

Bangkok: 1 or 2 nights

With ten days only then your thoughts on Samui ought to work out fine, provided flights there and back to Bangkok fit in with your travel plans. You've probably already checked out flights so if they are convenient your projected time spent there seems reasonable to me. As you will already have been several days in Pattaya by then it probably won't matter so much if the nightlife is a bit tamer!

Thank you all for your thoughts so far. According to Bangkok Air, I can fly from Utapo (not sure of the spelling) outside of Pattaya directly to Koh Samui and return to BKK for less than taxi back to BKK and R/T BKK to Kpoh Samui.

I'm also slowly evolving away from cramming too much into a holiday.   After all, it is a holiday, so taking it easy works.

It does as taking slow gives us chance to see things and places and to meet people we are not able to even notice if we are travelling with stop watch like in that movie from sixties "If it's Tuesday it must be Belgium".

1.Bali is only''just'' some 3 hrs flight away from BKK-and can be done pretty cheap-knowing the REAL distance, with no-frillss AirAsia. Its just that you loose about the whole day with all the transfers..........

If that is not too cheap/humble for you-they offer about any nearby SEA place for less as 100US$ return ex BKK.

2.you did not specify dates, but IF it inclused the Loy Kratong/Yi peng dates, I would certainly try to fit in Chiang Mai in that time. Pretty cool too.

Oh-many people do not preplan all that-they leave when it disappoints, and stay longer if its likeable.