vinapu

Loy Krathong , Sunday , Nov 17-2013 querry

Just discovered Loy Krathong falls during my trip to Bangkok this November.

Never had occasion to be there  for that holiday as my usual trip time  is either May or December.

Any recommendation for good place to see festivities or any place on river bank would do?

Or maybe I should not bother?

How about bar situation ? red somewhere that some bars in Pattaya are letting their staff go to enjoy festivities, is this  a case in BKK too?  

dont know exact about CMai-but I guess in the bars they simply do not expect any custom that evening. In BKK its not much to do about: its only an evening-no official day off, where you let the thing float somewhere-if they feel like it, boys can easily do that after work. Floats are for sale at ANY likable spot. IMHO well worth going and seeing-participating is also daft easy, but to be in the real Thai mood, enquire about the untold hidden meanings of many parts of the procedure.

In CMai (stayed there during the '11 floods) its much more of a long festival, with parades and festivities in the days leading up to-well worth the sight of half naked schoolboys heaving the floats. It is partly dampered-as about ANY festival whereever in TH, by a load of drunks and setting of fireworks anywhere/anytime. Fireworks are forbidden in BKK and this is -how unThai!-even for 99,95% adhered to. So there will be a splendid fireworks show by the BMA late evening. Let that not spil you in letting of the fireworks erupting with your newly found BF.

Loy Krathong this year is celebrated November 15-18th here in Chiangmai.  There are nightly parades that are rather beautiful and I think it's the second or third night that has the largest/longest parade.  Other than that, there will be thousands of the lighted lanterns in the air, especially from Taipei Gate to the Ping River.  And, of course, thousands of the banana leaf boats in the river which are mainly launched by the Narawat Bridge.

Yes, in the past, the area around Narawat Bridge was what I would describe as a war zone; however, for the last two years, that's not been the case at all (the cops have clamped down on the indiscriminate use of fireworks and it's not a significant issue any more). 

Other than Sukothai, I have to believe that Chiangmai has the nicest Loy Krathong celebrations. As to what the few boybars are doing at that time, I'm not sure as I'm always attending the parades (although I do recall having a drink or two at either Secrets or Soho later in the evening).

Guest anonone

I was in Pattaya for Loy Krathong last year.  Had a great time at the beach.  Lots of floating lanterns, including one from BF and I.  I seem to recall bars being open as later that night we went with staff to Wat Cha for them to launch their float (before heading off to Dave Man Club).

I am sure some staff get the night off, but I don't think there is a wide-spread bar closing for this.

Guest Promsak

I agree with every word that Bob wrote.

I'm glad that the fireworks and the fighting on the bridge has been stopped now.

It is a breathkaking sight to see thousands of hot air balloons in the sky over Chiang Mai if you've never seen it before.

Probably the best place in Ching Mai to see the krathong on the river is from the terrace of a riverside restaurant; however, they get packed early and most of them will not take reservtions for that night.

There is not much happening in Bangkok on that night unless you are near the river or an expanse of water.

The nicest Loy Khratong festival that I attended (a couple of times) was in Sukhothai. They have an amazing light and sound show and then organized fireworks. The only problem was getting away from there by car because of traffic jams.

Both Pattaya and Phuket have nice celebrations and because they are both close to water, the boys get involved.