Guest JamesBarnes

The Super Supermarket

Guest JamesBarnes

Thank goodness that after all these years here, Thailand still has the capacity to surprise and delight. The other night, I was having dinner with an Australian chum; let’s call him Bruce, who has lived in Chiang Mai for more than a decade and who has recently split with his long term Thai boyfriend. Bruce is a great sport who was impervious to my gloating about England’s recent Ashes win (cricket’s most hotly contested rivalry). This joshing between the English and Aussies goes back a long way: when Captain Cook first stepped foot on that land down-under, so impressed was he with the awesome topography, the huge variety of fauna and the staggering range of flora, he was immediately moved to name the place, ‘His Majesty’s Prison, Australia.’

The fact that so many Australians are descended from convicts is of no concern to the average Englishman, though it is a worry that a good number are descended from the wardens, but Bruce is a bona bloke who is coping well with my constant ribbing and his newly found single status. Like every discerning Chiang Mai expat, Bruce does his shopping at one of the five Rimping Supermarkets that dot the city. These are excellent establishments, well stocked with great quality products, play gently piped classical music, a loyalty reward scheme that awarded me a superb Italian coffee maker after two years, helpful and attractive staff that pack your bags at the check-out and will even carry them to your car and a home delivery service for those without transport.

Last week, Bruce popped in to do his weekly shop as usual but was without the boyfriend that had been with him for the last six years. Spotting that he was alone, a lady staff member approached him and was concerned for the absent guy’s health so Bruce explained that they were no longer an item. The woman was full of sympathy and instructed him to wait where he was while she disappeared into the stockroom. She returned, moments later, with a young gentleman, easy on the eye and intended as a replacement for the old amour. Telephone numbers were exchanged and a couple of dates followed. Things didn’t work out but really, where in the world would this, could this, happen? Only in Thailand. Amazing Thailand. No wonder Reuters latest survey reaffirmed that Thailand is the world’s number one gay destination and I bet they did not think to ask about the super supermarket.

Did you not read the sign on the wall when you were in there James which said - "Customer satisfaction is our guarantee to you, if you're not satisfied with any purchase you have made in Thailand within the last 6 years just call in to us and experience our no quibble, instant refund, full exchange programme". The lady staff member was just carrying out company policy it seems.  lol