firecat69

Driving in Thailand

Bench seats are no use for cars capable of cornering.  

Cornering? Well my first car (sadly not a Chevy) was built like a tank, was thirsty as hell but petrol was only 6 bob a gallon, and had great bench seats, no seat-belts of course and somehow it still managed to take the odd corner in pedestrian fashion, unlike some of the cars and lorries seen in Vinapu's video. . . 

My mom had a 1959 Chevrolet too, Rogie, and that car is about as good as any to compare to more modern cars which weigh considerably less and are infinitely more aerodynamic.  You see the horizontal fins at the rear of that car?  While they may or may not have been stylish at the time, they were a disaster aerodynamically - the airflow under them made the rear of the car somewhat lift off the ground at speeds above 60 mph which at times made that particular car occasionally fishtail rather dangerously.  

I never knew that! 'twas thum thar fins wot captured my juvenile eye - beauty is truly in the i of the beholder. My dreams lie shattered!

I have never driven a car or motorcycle in Thailand and I'm not sure if I ever will.  The traffic up here in Chiangmai is at times just awful and currently (given where I live) there seems to be no need to own my own vehicle (I can walk to where I want to go to 90% of the time and the baht busses are very easy to use and inexpenHsive).

Makes perfect sense.

1.  I second z909 case for modern cars, as my late father used to say ' Of things of old , only wine and violins are good"

2.  if somebody is interesting to see driving , Russian style, here it goes

1. My head tells me modern cars are vastly better than older ones, but my heart flutters at the mere thought of an E-type, DB6, XK 150, frog-eyed Sprite, or even the Volvo P1800 (as driven by 'The Saint').

2. Yes, very interesting. Some lucky escapes there. Made me a bit suspicious some of them were staged by stuntmen, but I'll suspend disbelief in favour of forevermore vowing never to drive in Russia. Definitely a pressing need to curb drunken drivers!

post-8358-0-45994000-1383938568_thumb.jpg

Back to driving in Thailand. Forget about bad driving, which undoubtedly exists. Sticking to Thailand, and focussing on what this fascinating country has to offer, does anybody have any great road trips they'd like to share. 

Guest buckbee

Add to these problems the dishonest Thai police and when you are in an accident, whether with a car, truck or motorcycle they will screw the farang.

For your protection in case of an accident, a dash cam in Thailand is probably a good idea.