TotallyOz

Red Bull heir's indictment delayed again

It's one of those things which are boiling blood inside of me . Unfortunately this not unique to Thailand or even Third World countries.

Remember OJ Simpson case and police chase in full view of monitoring cameras ? I don't  believe that such a soft glove treatment would be awarded to guy of ordinary means suspect of murder.

F-E-R-R-A-R-I drivers - don't ya just luv 'em?

(Nothing against the car, the cars themselves are beautiful!)

Just in case any readers haven't been following this case, check out:

http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/topic/8102-another-deadly-cocktail/?do=findComment&comment=59011

It is now almost a full year since the accident.

"Mr Vorayuth's lawyers also lodged a request with prosecutors asking for an adjournment of his client’s indictment to Sept 2 at 10am, saying he was sick. He submitted Mr Vorayuth’s medical certificate along with his request. The statute of limitations for the speeding charge against Mr Vorayuth expires on Sept 3."

Source : 

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/366477/indictment-of-red-bull-delayed-again-as-statute-of-limitations-winds-down

SURELY they aren't going to try the old statue of limitations stay out of jail card  -especially when it's not the state at fault for the delay, SURELY that can't be allowed even to be seen to run if on the 2nd they simply call in "sick' again - SURELY NOT - even for Thailand ?  I mean OF COURSE he's going to wangle SOME way out of things either a little or a lot, that's a given I think by all sides, but to do it as openly and so obviously, I'm very surprised at that - ok so please some expat please check back on the 3rd in the press there and see was he indicted or not !? 

Rather disgusting how the connected and wealthy avoid responsibility for their acts. They almost act as if it's their right to break the law, kill somebody, or whatever.

I'm also a bit puzzled by the article writer's "statute of limitation" comment. A statute of limitations typically applies to the time between a given event/act and the time that a civil or criminal lawsuit is brought (and not the time it comes to a hearing or trial).

And are these articles correct that only a "speeding" charge is being brought or considered?  It would seem more appropriate to me that the little rich boy face a negligent homicide or manslaughter charge - and the statute of limitations for that ought to be at least 5-10 years from the date of the incident.

I've closed the article now but like you Bob I dint quite get the statue of limitations angle at all, bit I did think that he'd already been charged with "something" a little more serious than speeding and that speeding was a second offence they were throwing at him to either assist their case ( or get some more money for making that disappear too perhaps!)

Mind you'll ill have to remember that if I ever get pulled over for speeding that its acceptable to have the trail delayed whilst you engage two expert witnesses and four other witnesses in your defence, somehow I can't see to many courts waiting for you to get all those balls in a line to help you before they agree to proceed !

So, surprise surprise as predicted the guy didn't turn up for his hearing !!!   After asking for it to be postponed until the 2nd Sept when his case was due on the 3rd he amazingly "took ill" whilst in Singapore  ( couldn't of been THAT sick in the first place if he was able to travel whilst ill first time round mind I guess)  

But his lawyers have assured the Court that he hasn't actually fled the Country and IS just genuinely sick and that he would be returning to Thailand within the next three days or so - or more like just however long it takes for them to convince him that it's in his long term interests to stand up and be a man and return to Thailand to face justice and not continue to use his money to try and escape justice any longer......or perhaps to give them a little longer to take care of the right people to ensure the right result for him - so watch this space then it looks like but for now it appears that Thai prosecutors appear determined to issue an arrest warrant for him if he doesn't show - so perhaps he has just pissed off one to many people at the top this time, who knows !?  Time will tell I guess ! I'm guessing that this is one sage that's just going to run and run !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23938794

Guest bbillybb

Well it is business as usual in LOS but then maybe enough pressure was put on the law officials that they had  to do something because it was so obvious. For these same types of reasons would it make me unable to retire in LOS as the possibility of my basic rights and liberties,as I see them of course, being put aside by simple bribes at every turn would be too much in the long run. In a country which puts a muzzle on the spoken word, when as a farang you are at fault when pit against a national....well the minuses far outweigh the pluses. I will just have to be content to take my visits as I may and bite my tongue. Just hope i wont lose too much blood.

Bbillybb's thoughts on this reflect those of many long-term Thai visitors and ex-pats. I have read many times on the Message Boards of ex-pats wondering out loud whether they can stand it much longer, or whether if they know what they know now they would ever have moved to LoS. As you say, weigh up the pros and cons on moving to Thailand.

At one time, there would have undoubtedly been many more factors in the 'pluses' column than the 'minuses', but now with the deterioration in Thai society and the continuing pathetic political situation, coupled with great advances in gay rights in most western countries, many people will agree with bbillybb's comments.

So, unless I've missed it being reported in the western press ( and I have been watching out for it) it seems that the D-Day date of the 3rd of Sept has both come and gone for Mr Voyayuth where he blatantly just didn't show up for court and even after all the huffing and puffing of Thai prosecutors it appears that STILL no action has been taken by them to have him arrested again ( assuming he's back in Thailand) after his sudden illness in Singapore whilst away on business. 

I mean SURELY someone in Thailand should be screaming about this case now at a very high level as in terms of world wide PR  it really is just getting off the scale now in terms of displaying just how much "money talks" in Thailand - unless of course the people who should be screaming are of course perhaps the same people who are benefiting I guess :-(   So, where's the free press when you need them ?