TotallyOz

Nokia Lumia 1020 packs 41-megapixel whopper camera

You can sum up Nokia's just-unveiled Lumia 1020 in three words: 41, megapixel, camera.

Teased and leaked to death up to the very last minute before the big reveal, the Lumia 1020's 41-megapixel shooter is what makes Nokia's next marquee Windows phone, and what gives hardware jockeys a reason to salivate.

The Windows Phone 8 device will sell in the U.S. exclusively at AT&T for a hefty $299.99 with two-year contract. Preorders begin July 16, with the Lumia 1020 becoming available online and in stores July 26. (The Lumia 1020 will also sell globally.)

It's all about the camera

Make no mistake about it: the Lumia 1020's stunningly enormous image resolution is this smartphone's single killer feature and sole reason for being. Yep, the 1020 puts the mega back in megapixels.

http://reviews.cnet.com/nokia-lumia-1020/

Guest fountainhall

I have a simple question. Why would anyone want a 41 megapixel camera in a cellphone? Surely if you are interested in that sort of definition, you want a whole lot of other bells and whistles like a high-powered zoom lens? The Nokia has a measly 3x zoom.

I have a simple question. Why would anyone want a 41 megapixel camera in a cellphone? Surely if you are interested in that sort of definition, you want a whole lot of other bells and whistles like a high-powered zoom lens? The Nokia has a measly 3x zoom.

Yes, but for many in the world, their only use for a camera is their phone. I like the fact that this phone has such a great camera. I have found that I take more photos with my phone than I do with my 6k Nikon Camera that has a big zoom. It is more convenient and easier for me to just pop out the camera and take photos.

Guest fountainhall

That I understand. But what's so special about 41mp? Are you merely displaying your pics on an iPad? Surely for that 10mp or even less is perfectly fine! I know professional photographers who work on less than 41mp!

And for the average Thai (and others, for that matter) who take pics primarily to put up on their Facebook pages, for example, even 5mp should be sufficient!

FH, I got into photography many many years ago. So far in fact, when Sony came out with a 1MG camera that wrote to mini DVD's I was thrilled and said, "what would one ever want with more MP?" :)

Today, Nokia needs something to advance them and this was their shot.

I love more MP myself as I can then cut down images and zoom in with Photoshop. I love that about the larger MP. I just brought another professional Cannon that does over 20MP. For me, it is great. But, if they come out with another one at 50MP and I can afford it, I'll get it. The main reason is that I like what I can do in Photoshop with the larger images.

You are so right in that most Thai's will not need it. But, they don't need the IPhone either. Many just want the best.

Guest fountainhall

I love more MP myself as I can then cut down images and zoom in with Photoshop

Aha! Now I begin to understand. And I think there may be some posters here who would be very happy with being able to zoom in on certain intimate 'parts' of a photo  :p

Aha! Now I begin to understand. And I think there may be some posters here who would be very happy with being able to zoom in on certain intimate 'parts' of a photo  :p

LOL I don't know what you mean. The boys I date, I never need a zoom to see things. :)