KhorTose

The cut rate grocery store is not cut rate

I am on a diet in which I have lost 38K.  A month ago I bought a scale to weight the things without weights on them or the amount I take from the full weight.  Recently I started to weigh the meats I buy and guess what.  All the packages are 5% under weight from their label.

Why am I not surprised.  I would complain, but I doubt it would do any good.  Only in Thailand.

This is from the largest grocery chain in this country.  Now I understand why they show a profit. :vava:

In Germany, there is law that requires shops to have certified balances that are regularly checked by government insitutions. I don't know how the situation is in Thailand.

What kind of balance did you buy? Weight range and resolution, price? Did it occur to you that your balance might not be accurate?

If you bought the scale in Thailand what makes you think it is any more accurate than the packages of meat!

I checked against a silver coin (.999) of one ounce 28.35 grams.

It was right on.

I checked against a silver coin (.999) of one ounce 28.35 grams.

I just love silver dollars. I bought several for just a few dollars each when I was a kid. The 'Morgan' dollars. But they're only 90% silver. Can you really get a dollar which is 99.9% silver? The dollar shown below isn't one of the Morgan ones. Anyone know what's so special about it? (disclosure: it isn't mine, sadly!)

post-8358-0-33868200-1372752009_thumb.jpg

Guest scottishguy

Congratulations on the weight loss KT - 38kg must be about 6 stones!!

Now - 'fess up - what's the diet, and how long has that weight-loss taken to achieve?

Curious minds would like to know.

(Even though as you can see from my pic taken only 3 months ago, I hardly need to worry)

:good:

Scotty FYI.  It took exactly one year.  It was not a straight downward line but one that went up and down with the trend to the down.  I eat very few carbs and stay around 1000 calories a day.  I try to walk at least 30 minutes a day.  Also I eat the same things every day for breakfast and lunch, and only vary dinner.  When I know I am going out to dinner or a buffet to pig out, I try to skip a meal beforehand.  I am as skinny as you are in the picture but not as young looking.  In fact, the fat made my face fill out and I actually looked younger as a fat man then a skinny man.

All the packages are 5% under weight from their label.

Assuming your calibration was accurate, perhaps Thai law allows a tolerance of ±5% on mass?

It's quite common for products to be made to minimum tolerance, where permitted by law & market conditions.  Tyres for example. 

Fortunately, most Farang of a certain age could benefit from eating 5% less, myself included.  

I just love silver dollars. I bought several for just a few dollars each when I was a kid. The 'Morgan' dollars. But they're only 90% silver. Can you really get a dollar which is 99.9% silver? The dollar shown below isn't one of the Morgan ones. Anyone know what's so special about it? (disclosure: it isn't mine, sadly!)

Yes, you can get a 99.9 % silver dollar. Very easy to buy. US Mint makes them, American Eagle Silver Dollar available from coin shops or on line.

The 1804 silver dollar you show is one of the rarest of all with quite a story behind it. Not sure the price but in the millions of dollars.

I am as skinny as you are in the picture . . .

That may be, but are you pretty as a picture?

Seriously now, well done KT!

Fortunately, most Farang of a certain age could benefit from eating 5% less, myself included.  

Fortunately - in the sense that going easy on the calories is beneficial

Unfortunately, that often needs that rare commodity, will-power

Yes, you can get a 99.9 % silver dollar. Very easy to buy. US Mint makes them, American Eagle Silver Dollar available from coin shops or on line.

Thanks, I'm a little rusty, should've kept up with trends.

I love many of the older American coins, especially ones with Liberty. The silver dollars have what's known as the Liberty walking design. Our equivalent in Britain is Britannia (of 'ruling the waves' fame).

Taking a quick look, it seems both Britannia's and Eagles's retail for about $30

You should check the balance with more coins to see if it is linear. I assume you weigh food by the hundreds of grams. I once had a digital scale for letters and parcels, that became non-linear, so I made a conversation chart.

This is good practice.  Ideally one should plot a graph that goes from zero to beyond the maximum mass you intend to measure.

Coins will also have some kind of tolerance.  I expect it's smaller & a quick google search suggests mints may work with as much as ±1%. Don't know what the official tolerance is on your coins.

Guest fountainhall

In fact, the fat made my face fill out and I actually looked younger as a fat man then a skinny man.

One of the problems of dropping quite a bit of weight. One of the most famous Brits who dieted heavily was the former Chancellor of the Exchequer, Nigel Lawson. He went from this -

post-1892-0-60001400-1372915549_thumb.jpg

- to this!

post-1892-0-90598000-1372915561_thumb.jpg

Guest scottishguy

Oh but let's be be fair Fountainhall - apart from the weight loss there's about 25+ years between those pics.

The first pic is from his Cabinet days when he'd be in his mid-50s, and he second one was taken for a newspaper feature on his 80th birthday!!

I do agree though that he looked better in his fat days (not that he was ever what you'd call a "stunner")