Guest fountainhall

Air Fares, Taxes, Duties, Surcharges and Rip Offs

Guest fountainhall

Rather than continue a little off the "Tipping" thread topic when discussing airline fares, fees and taxes, I've started a new thread, for have come across another oddity.

I mentioned in the tipping thread a possible trip i have to make to Chicago late next month. Whereas BA had one of the best prices on the net last week, this has now suddenly jumped a whopping 64% for all flights right through from July to October! My fault for not acting more quickly.

However. I am going anyway to Helsinki in August. So I decided to check out prices to Chicago from there and just extend that trip by a few days. American has a non-stop flight in August (which seems to be discontinued thereafter) and the total price comes up at around US$2,740 for business class. I also checked Finnair. They have no flights, but they are a One World member and they do code-share on that American flight. The price for the same August dates - €4,000 = US$5,356. How is it possible for one airline to charge virtually double for exactly the same flight on the same carrier with the same aircraft? I suppose it may be due to the fact that Finnair only has a small allocation of seats on that AA flight and there may only be one or two left. But it does add doubts in my mind about the actual value to consumers of these alliances.

And somewhat ironically, an even cheaper fare than American is BA via LHR! Which rather proves that international same-day connections at LHR are not expensive and any connecting flight should in many cases be cheaper than a non-stop one.

Guest travelerjim

Fh...and friends...

Take a look at British Air....using AVIOS if you have them banked (miles)

check the BKK -SAN (San Diego) flight availability using Avios.

You will find in Business Class 85,000 Avios + $280 US...will get you ONE WAY to San Diego

with connection 1 hour in Tokyo NRT. Total flight time 17 hours :-)

On Japan Airlines using their new jet. Many dates available on BA.com

From SAN to Chicago should be easy to find with $$$ or using one way Avios at 12,500 economy coach.

Also...American Airlines from NRT to USA cities in Business Class is 50,000 AA miles way...+ small fee.

Book BKK to NRT on BA,com using Avios for 12,500 Avios Economy or 25,000 Avios Business Class.

Hope this helps those who m ay have Avios banked with British Air..or AA miles.

Good luck....

Guest fountainhall

Many thanks for your research, Jim. Unfortunately I only have around 105,000 Avios points and 185,000 Asia Miles. I could use the latter to get to Chicago, but I want to keep them for another trip. It looks, though, that I can change my Asia Miles Helsinki ticket to enable me to fly BA from there to Chicago and back at a reasonable price.

I think where you get screwed at LHR is with taxes if you are using miles. At least with DL that is the case. Not sure about UA.

Have to say my recent flight from SEA  BC on united was extremely good as far as service and food. Still hate the configuration of  2-4-2.  Their entertainment module has everything you could ever want .

I was supposed to be on the Dreamliner with staggered seating on ANA but not back on the Seattle route until September.

Still like DL staggered seating far better then UA but those miles are so worthless compared to Star Alliance miles that DL just gets a little of my business.

Guest fountainhall

I think where you get screwed at LHR is with taxes if you are using miles.

That's certainly true with BA. Every connection is regarded as a stopover and so you pay the relevant tax band even though you would not if you are on a paid flight!