firecat69

Issan Booms

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/thailands-boom-northeast-spoils-010447937.html

I wonder long term how this will effect our beloved Issan boys from moving to the city for the Sex Trade.

I for one have never been to Udon Thani and may make a trip soon before it has been completely changed.

I never get involved in the internal politics of Thailand, but this article at least makes me think this government may be doing a lot of things right.

Look forward to comments from more knowledgeable people??

I was just reading an article today about the same thing from a different angle.  I think it was the Gaurdian, but I can't find the article I read, but here is the original.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/16/thailand-northeast-idUSL3N0DJ2N820130616?feedType=RSS&feedName=industrialsSector

I think it may affect the number of boys going South, but I would not worry about not seeing Udorn Thani before this change takes place as there is not a whole lot to see.  Far more interesting is Nong Khai and its proximity to Vientiene, and its wonderful sculpture park.

Guest Enchanter

Thailand really is behind in its transport and logistics infrastructure. The reason most foreign investors situate facilities close to Bangkok is getting freight on the ship from elsewhere can be messy and more costly. Hence, Bangkok becomes an overpopulated (or disproportionately populated) mess. 

Thailand really is behind in its transport and logistics infrastructure.

I don't think so. Look around: Birma has a civil war going on for about 60 years, and decades of isolation. Laos and Vietnam were heavily bombed and destroyed during the Vietnam war. Cambodia had the Red Khmer. Only Malaysia is more stable and has comparable infrastructure.

In fact, Thailand played the Vietnam war very well. They got several airports and highways built by the US and Pattaya started as a R&R camp. Other countries (Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia - Red Khmer can be linked to Vietnam war) were heavily destroyed and their development retarded by decades.

Guest Enchanter

Comparing Thailand with Burma, Vietnam and Cambodia is like comparing yourself with a disabled athlete... irrelevant. 

Transport and logistics costs Thailand over 15% of its GDP where as this figure is closer to 13% for Malaysia and typically under 10% for developed economies. The lower this figure is, the more efficient its transport and logistics network is. The country is too reliant on road transport and lacks efficiency and capacity in its rail to port infrastructure network. Its rail network is well antiquated for a country of its size and level of development. 

This inhibits its economic competitiveness and fosters geographically unbalanced development... You have a massive amount of development and industrial infrastructure around Bangkok and its surrounds and very little up North. It results in long-term congestion problems and loss of foreign investment to other countries. 

More economic employment opportunities up North and less Thais resorting to selling their bodies for sex can only be a good thing. But every economy has its share of people too lazy or dysfunctional to earn a decent living any other way, even when opportunity abounds, so the industry will always have some supply of workers - have no fear.