Guest fountainhall

Stephen Fry Admits 2nd Suicide Bid

Guest fountainhall

Like him or not, he’s one of the most popular comic personalities on British television and films, the front man for the annual Brit Movie Awards and a noted author. Stephen Fry's life is a bit like an open book, for he has often talked about himself, notably in the first two parts of his frank and often hilariously funny autobiography.

Less well known, like Catherine Zeta Jones Stephen Fry suffers from bipolar disorder and is President of the Mental Health Charity, Mind. As such, he is equally open about his many mood swings and the fact that he takes medication to control them. It has long been known that he attempted suicide in 1995 when he quite literally walked out of a West End play he was starring in.

Now he has revealed that he tried to commit suicide again last year when filming in America.

"I took a huge number of pills and a huge [amount] of vodka."

. . . Fry revealed the incident took place in a hotel room, adding the mixture of drugs and alcohol "made my body convulse so much that I broke four ribs".

"It was a close-run thing," he said. "Fortunately, the producer I was filming with at the time came into the hotel room and I was found in a sort of unconscious state and taken back to England and looked after."

Fry adds in the BBC website article -

"I am the victim of my own moods, more than most people are perhaps, in as much as I have a condition which requires me to take medication so that I don't get either too hyper or too depressed to the point of suicide."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22782913

Guest fountainhall

You never saw the second and subsequent Black Adder TV series, the Jeeves & Wooster TV series with Hugh Lawrie, and a host of movies, including Peter's Friends with Kenneth Branagh, Emma Thomson and Hugh Lawrie?

You never saw the second and subsequent Black Adder TV series, the Jeeves & Wooster TV series with Hugh Lawrie, and a host of movies, including Peter's Friends with Kenneth Branagh, Emma Thomson and Hugh Lawrie?

Me?  Actually I never even heard of any of those film/series.  But I do know Hugh Laurie that great Amercan actor. He is American , isn't he ? :p

Guest fountainhall

Is Hugh Lawrie related to Hugh Laurie by any chance?  And you left out Qi.

Indeed he is and indeed I did. Mind you, I left out Life of Pi as well but then none of our characters performed in that film, as far as I know.  ;)