TotallyOz

After months of protests, French couple to tie knot in first same-sex wedding

I have written extensively on other sites about Montpellier being one of my favorite cities in France and I call it the Gay San Francisco. Looks like they are hosting the first gay wedding.

Montpellier, France (CNN) -- The French city of Montpellier will witness history Wednesday when its mayor officiates the nation's first same-sex wedding in front of hundreds of guests.

Vincent Autin and Bruno Boileau will exchange vows at a ceremony in the southern city, watched by some 500 guests seated on brightly colored chairs.

Autin, 40, is the head of the region's Lesbian and Gay Pride association -- and his wedding to Boileau, 30, marks a big step forward for same-sex equality, he says.

"When French children are born into this world, they are born with the same rights as everyone else -- but from the moment you said you were a homosexual, society deprived you of some of those rights," Autin told CNN in the couple's only interview on their wedding day.

"Today the French Republic has given these rights back to us, the ones they had taken away, and it has put an end to an institutional discrimination."

While France has allowed civil partnerships for some years, controversial legislation allowing same-sex couples to marry and adopt was signed into law by President Francois Hollande 10 days ago.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/29/world/europe/france-same-sex-wedding/index.html?hpt=hp_c2