Guest fountainhall

Afghan 747 Crash

Guest fountainhall

This horrific footage has just been aired on CNN. The crash of the cargo aircraft seems to have taken place on February 1st.

Guest anonone

My first guess would be the crash was related to improperly loaded cargo...or maybe more likely, cargo that was not secured correctly and shifted the Center of Gravity as it moved around.

Certainly a sobering video for those of us on planes frequently.

:shok:

According to several other forums I've been reading tonight that seems to be the widely accepted and most probable cause it seems.

Very sad that something as simple as incorrect loading or perhaps a critical failure of the cargo strapping during a "high performance" (which isnt recommended in the 747) can cause the death of seven people. :-(

Guest fountainhall

Everything's clearly speculation at present. Presumably it was taking off at quite a steep angle to avoid possible enemy fire. But to get into the air, it would have had to be travelling at around 150 knots. It seems to be flying OK till there is a slight bank to the left. Then a larger one to the right by which point it definitely seems to lose almost all forward thrust and goes nose up - definitely a stall. It then comes down almost vertically. It looks as though the pilot was trying to level the plane to make some kind of emergency landing, but he had neither enough air nor speed.

I hope the enquiry will not take as long as the one into the Air France A380 clipping the tail of the Delta plane at JFK just over 2 years ago. Bob and I have a Bt. 100 bet on that - and I am waiting for my money  :yahoo:  (Bet you forgot about that, Bob - again!!)

I hope the enquiry will not take as long as the one into the Air France A380 clipping the tail of the Delta plane at JFK just over 2 years ago. Bob and I have a Bt. 100 bet on that - and I am waiting for my money  :yahoo:  (Bet you forgot about that, Bob - again!!)

No way have I forgotten.  The investigation has taken forever although it was nice that the Air France pilot didn't flee the scene ala Thai style! 

The angle of attack is wrong.  Therefore, he lost air flow over the wings and stalled. At least, that is what the video seems to show.

I think anonone is correct - the AOA may have changed due to sudden cargo movement.

And the pilot's cause is hampered by the fact that he needs to climb quickly.  The 747 is a heavy, lumbering aircraft with very slow response times. He is too low to the ground to have sufficient time to save the situation.

My first guess would be the crash was related to improperly loaded cargo...or maybe more likely, cargo that was not secured correctly and shifted the Center of Gravity as it moved around.

Certainly a sobering video for those of us on planes frequently.

Right on anonone!  It seems there were vehicles within the cargo hold  that were not secured propertly and shifted to the rear of he plane.  As reported in the NY Times today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/04/world/asia/shifting-cargo-may-have-doomed-plane-that-crashed-near-kabul.html?ref=todayspaper