TotallyOz

Samsung Galaxy S4 shootout versus HTC One, iPhone 5

For me, the camera wouldn't be the key factor when buying a phone.

A phone is a communication tool. Speed and functionality when browsing the internet or using apps would be much more important.

Next up, I would expect the phone functionality to be a given.

If I'm worried about picture quality, I would use a camera.

Guest fountainhall

My concern is that the new phones are now so big as to be virtually mini-tablet size. Like z909, I want a telephone that can fit comfortably into my pocket - not a camera. Are the smaller Galaxy phones worth buying?

Are the smaller Galaxy phones worth buying?

Khortose has the Samsung Note and I have the Samsung Galaxy III and we both like them a lot.  But you'll have to ask Khortose any "techie" questions as I use it almost exclusively as a phone (well, also use the maps function and a couple of other items).  Has worked like a charm for me.

I'd note the camera is very good too if there's enough light (and it does okay at night with its flash if your subject is within about 6 feet).

Has the S4 been selling in Thailand? If so, what is the cost?

Samsung's official marketing policy in Thailand seems to be "we don't need to tell customers or retailers anything, so fuck off ^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hgo away"

in the retail channel at Samsung brand stores, AIS, JMart, TG Phone etc the official policy seems to be "I don't have it today and I am not going to waste my time getting information for you about when, how much, model details, etc so fuck off ^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hgo away"

the Samsung Note 8 was rumored to be available in Thailand April 23 - on April 19 I called Samsung Thailand, no information available on release date, price,specs; on April 21 I asked at the Samsung store in Paragon, no idea when it would be available, not willing to make any effort to find out when available, price etc, at AIS Serenade shop no idea when would be available, all staff too busy sucking up to people buying models in stock today to even bother with me.

On April 23 I called Samsung again, was told it will be in all the shops today - in the Samsung shops, in TG Phone, in JMart, in AIS, everywhere. I then rang AIS and was told no idea when will have or price. I went to Central World, TG Phone and JMart both no idea when will have, in Paragon Samsung shop, no idea when will have and not willing to call Samsung to find out, in AIS shop no idea when will have, in true shop yes have, how many do you want so they got my business. When I then went to AIS Serenade shop to get a SIM for it all the staff drooled over it and one asked why I didn't buy from them - they still didn't know when they would have stock and some that remembered me from April 21 at least managed to look a little embarrassed!

in the box with my Note 8 was a 500 Baht discount coupon for a cover only redeemable at "official" Samsung stores - on April 27 they had the covers on display in four colours at TG Phone in Central World but could not accept the coupon, at the "official" Samsung store in Paragon there were none on display and the first two staff I approached said "no have"  - eventually someone found one in one colour only and I really begrudged giving them my money for it even though it was the colour I wanted!

the only consolation is that according to someone I spoke to at AIS Apple is even worse to deal with!

A sign on the window at the Samsung shop in Paragon says the S4 will be available on May 3 - good luck if you want to buy one because on April 27 nobody at that shop knew if they would actually be available on that day and what the price would be, I didn't waste my time asking anywhere else

bkkguy

My concern is that the new phones are now so big as to be virtually mini-tablet size. Like z909, I want a telephone that can fit comfortably into my pocket - not a camera.

I primarily want a phone that is also good for browsing.  Size was a priority also, but I've changed my views on that, since getting a 7" Samsung tablet as an e-reader with added functionality. 

Even that squeezes into my pocket, so when I eventually buy a higher spec smart phone, it will be at least the size of an S3.

Thanks guys.

I agree that a phone should be a phone but if you can kill two birds with one stone, it makes sense to me to do it.

BTW: I recently purchased the IPhone 5 and could not be happier. But, the BF wants a new phone now. :)

Guest fountainhall

I have a 12-year old Sony Ericsson (with camera) that he can have for a few Baht!  :p

I've given up giving Thai guys phones. One I dated for a few months just over a year ago lost the smartphone I gave him - and also the next one someone else gave to him! To paraphrase Oscar Wilde: to lose one phone may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose two looks like carelessness.