kokopelli

WW II Photo Quiz

Since all has been quiet in the Beer Bar I thought to post this quiz to challenge the curious. Really not sure if it is easy or difficult??

The photo below shows the last resting place of 13 German soldiers from WW II.

Can you identify the country where they repose and the circumstances therein?

To make it easier for you the answer is not Germany or Japan.

Additional photos will be forthcoming.

post-9743-0-21344300-1366236859_thumb.jpg

Well, two of the German graves seem to have Russian flags.

However, this is in Finns Point Cemetery USA.

Prisoners detained in Fort Dix?

There was some story about Russians taken as prisoners whilst fighting on the side of the Germans. The Americans were going to repatriate them to Russia at the end of the war, which would have meant certain death.

Wow! How did you figure it out so quickly? Google??

Finns Point is a National Cemetery in New Jersey, USA. Originally was used as a burial ground for Confederate 2,436 POWs from a nearby island in the Delaware River. Since then there have been burials from subsequent wars, including Iraq, for American military although this is a small cemetery.

The German soldiers were POWs at Fort Dix in New Jersey. Yes, the two Russians committed suicide rather than being repatriated to Russia. Other Russian/German POWs were tortured and killed after being returned to the Soviets.

My brother, a veteran of the Korean War, rests there.

Wow! How did you figure it out so quickly? Google??

Yes. After a few fruitless searches looking into the "Russian flag" line of enquiry, switch to a google images search & scan for a picture.

Using the same search method, the second photo shows graves at Fort Leavenworth. The 14 German prisoners allegedly killed 3 of their fellow prisoners who were collaborating with the Americans. So they were hanged as punishment.

This was considered to be putting American prisoners in Germany at increased risk.

My error with the Finn Point Cemetery was not to have used the photos I took rather than include that one with the Russian flag which I cribbed from the Internet.

Quite right z909. The sad thing is that these soldiers were executed after VE Day and the war with Germany was over; President Truman would not grant them clemency. Their execution was apparently scheduled after the war was over for fear that the Germans may retaliate by executing American POWs who did the exact same thing, kill collaborators. These soldiers did exactly what most other soldiers would do in the same circumstances.

I fear that Google image search will put a new dimension on the Annual Christmas Quiz!! Rats!

Guest fountainhall

I fear that Google image search will put a new dimension on the Annual Christmas Quiz!! Rats!

Too true! But in any case I've been thinking a a new format hopefully to broaden its appeal.