TotallyOz

11 things to know before visiting Myanmar

How do Burmese punks keep their mohawks standing tall?

Why does cash in Myanmar need to be kept clean?

What does making a kissing sound in a Yangon restaurant get you?

As recently as a year ago, few people would have cared about the answers to any of these questions.

But newfound political freedom has brought a surge in tourism to the once isolated country, making Myanmar a 2013 traveler's hot spot, and a place worth getting up to speed on.

Read this article from CNN that lists 11 things you need to know but also has some good photos.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/05/travel/myanmar-11-things/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Guest fountainhall

Hotel prices up 350% in one year? Obviously time ot visit before they get much higher. And I think I'll spend more time in the countryside where the guys tend not to wear underwear - "Longyi are great. Free air-conditioning!" 

Guest fountainhall

Wear a thick kilt in Myanmar? Scotty would surely become considerably overheated and might feel the urge just to take it off.  :rofl:

post-1892-0-87014700-1365655584_thumb.jpg

The hotel thing is definitely an issue. It will take some time to get the supply to meet the demand.

Those longyi are definitely a good reason to visit. They really show off their butts well. And it is indeed true that no one wears underwear in the country. I remember that one of my boat drivers gave me quite a show when he pulled up his longyi hopping off the boat.

The hotel thing is definitely an issue. It will take some time to get the supply to meet the demand.

In a proper free economy, supply should fairly quickly catch up with demand, or possibly overshoot slightly.

Now how free is the reformed Burmese economy?

Does it suffer from too much red tape & corruption?  Or will there be loads of spare hotel capacity in 2~3 years time?

Would be nice to know when I can pencil in my first visit there. I have no wish to be scratching around for hotel rooms.