Guest jomtien

Ae

Guest fountainhall

I was trying to find something about him in previous threads, but cannot. It seems he is either very ill or has passed away. Whichever, it is indeed sad.

A similar post appeared on Gaybutton Forum but no name mentioned.

In memoriam of a thai friend.

Postby scandinavianboy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:40 pm

Today is the birthday of a dear friend who would have been 28 years old today. In the end of October in 2011 he started to feel discomfort in his chest and after a few weeks also in the stomach making it difficult to eat. He went to at least three doctors, both in Pattaya and in his hometown, but none of them could figure out what was wrong with him, but gave him tablets for muscle pain and gastritis that didn´t help. In the end of December his friends took him to hospital in Pattaya where they very soon found out that he had tuberculosis. He had now a swollen stomach due to inflammation and difficult with breathing and was referred to a larger hospital in Bangkok. After continued medical investigations he started with anti-tuberculosis medication, a treatment that would take at least 6-12 months. In Thailand tuberculosis is most often of the multidrug-resistant type which can make the disease very difficult to cure. In spite of that fact, he was in a much better mode emotionally now when he knew what was wrong and we both looked upon a near future where he was cured and healthy again. However happiness was short, since he just a few months after he started treatment got complications from continuous spreading of the disease to the nervous system, making him have epileptic seizures and inability to talk. The last time I ever talked with him was in the beginning of April, and his last words on the phone to me were "I´m fine". A few weeks later I visited him in a hospital in his home town and he was now in a really bad shape. When he finally died, 27 years old, it was a relief for me, because there had never been any way back since the start of the neurologic deterioration, and the last weeks of his life was no life at all.

Sometimes it´s easy to forget that we are visiting a country with a different panorama of diseases, where for example many of the boys have encountered tuberculosis at an early age which makes it a risk for coming back later in life, especially if they have their immune system affected. It´s also easy to forget that there are more things going on in some boys´ lives than just the beach and the bars.