Guest scottishguy

Can Message Boards/Forums Become Addictive

Guest scottishguy

I guess one answer to the question might be "it depends on the personality of the member and how much time they have to waste" - but do GT members feel they spend too much time on forums generally?

Do some here consciously limit their time on boards?

Or do most just "dip-in" as time permits?

Do people find they are looking at just this forum or another 2 or 3 as well.

I'm not asking anybody to admit to being a "forum junkie" - just curious.

My "confession" is that I spend way too much time (I'm sure a few others will agree with that! LOL)

:hi:

Ahem, but I think you answered your own question; yes message boards are very addictive.

When I am away from Thailand I find myself frequenting all of the gay message boards much more than when in Thailand. Just bored I suppose. But I do enjoy reading the thoughts and opinion of others although there are some posters who are truly obnoxious and not worth reading.

Guest scottishguy

But I suppose the definition of "addiction" is that the activity eats into time when you should be doing other, more productive or important things and, kokopelli, it doesn't sound like you do that (?).

For example if I look at boards in the morning - I'm late getting out!!

I post on 2 message boards. I own one of them. I once owned this one and it is a topic which I love and I continue to post. When I am in Thailand, I post much more often as I think others like to know what is going on there. When I am not in LOS, I love to read posts about others experiences there. For example, my friend firecat is posting his adventures for the month. I check in each day to see if he has added something. I also love reading commentary from members on this board as there are some really intelligent members who have a different way of looking at issues. I have never been the smartest guy around but I do love many of the discussions on this board. For example, the ones about the emperor of Japan recently. I learn a great deal from members on this board.

I once posted on all the gay Thailand boards but I have given that up as I was blocked on 2 of them after not logging in for long time and I don't have time to keep up with all of them. So, I chose this one and love reading the threads here.

Addictive? No, it doesn't take time away from things I need to be doing. :) That said, I did not have Internet the last 20 hours and I hated I could not check in with things.

If they are a little addictive , I think it is for a good reason.  I am unable to count the number of good tips I have gotten on this Board about everything from travel, restaurants, gay clubs, movies, books etc.  I know when i am not in Thailand I am excited to hear about a new club or just someone else"s adventures because my life is really boring when not traveling.

In May I will be Visiting Istanbul for the first time and repeat visits to Prague and Budapest, but I will still be looking forward to my return to Thailand in June.  

I think it is more that Thailand is addictive then the Boards.

I have mixed feelings on the subject as I sometimes believe that playing the internet thing is about as healthy as watching too much television (i.e., somewhat interferes with "normal" life).

Some day I'll shoot my computer but, pending that, I typically spend an hour or two a day checking and writing email, checking the news and business reports, checking some message boards, and whatever.  The last many months, I've often spent another 2-3 hours a day translating silly Thai stories and I often use Google Translate as a last resort to translate a problematic phrase.  And, since I'm sitting at my desk and  the computer's on, I often take a break and check out the boards, news, or whatever.  Probably too much.

Guest fountainhall

I am a member of 3 Boards, one of which I joined when we were told in 2010 that this one was closing. I look at and post on the other 2 only very infrequently. Since I started posting here, it has been by far my preferred site. I like the balance of views, the vast amount of information about people and places around Thailand and the world - and not just Pattaya, the fact that proper and detailed debates and discussions can be held with alternate viewpoints aired without idiotic interruptions. I like the fact that this is not a board with threads composed mostly of a series of 2 or 3 liners in which one-upmanship seems to be the key element. I like the fact that there is a respect amongst most of the posters and that those seemingly determined to destroy the harmony on this Board don't last long - although some have certainly lasted longer than others!

Am I addicted? I don't think so. I have too much else to do! I have travelled a lot and often cannot/will not bother look at this or any site for a few days at a time. On the other hand, I find if I do not have at least a quick look each day, there are now many more new threads and it gets difficult to keep up. But I admit when I am in Bangkok, I tend to turn to this site first after checking my emails and reading the online news media.

Guest scottishguy

You all seem terribly sane and reasonable in your internet/message board use!

I clearly need to heed your advice.

:hi:  

I am not addicted to message boards. Sometimes I go days without posting. Of course after a couple of days I do start to get stomach cramps and cold sweats, but I am sure that is just normal Thai food poisoning. I mean if i was addicted I would just be posting just to post, and now I will post this. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........... :wacko:

as there are some really intelligent members 

Thank you.

Back to the original question: my occupation with these boards (all of them) borders on addiction. I spend up to 2 hours per day on these boards and forums. And even after that, I am thinking about what I read and what I replied.

After two months of living and working in Thailand, I still haven't managed to seduce any of the local boys and spend time with them (teaching each other Thai and English, and trying to get into their pants) instead of reading the boards, but I am working on it.

I have conceived a vicious plan to get the boy who fixes motorcycles in the slum into my room: I will ask him for a Philips screwdriver and for help in assembling a table (which I got from a friend, disassembles for transport). Than I will offer him a bottle of Leo (already in my fridge) and see where it leads.

Guest scottishguy

Wow, Christian - has there been any indication that this "motorcycle mechanic" whom you are inviting into your home - essentially under false pretences and armed with a screwdriver - is interested?

I know you like to take chances, but is this wise?

I have conceived a vicious plan to get the boy who fixes motorcycles in the slum into my room: I will ask him for a Philips screwdriver and for help in assembling a table (which I got from a friend, disassembles for transport). Than I will offer him a bottle of Leo (already in my fridge) and see where it leads.

Christian, as Devint would say, you are a "dirty boy"!

I found these boards very useful when planning my first trip to Thailand. They are sometimes useful for information regarding trips to other Asian countries. 

Logically, I should spend time here and more time both doing stuff & making money (to bring forward the day when I can become financially independent and spend months travelling).

However, some of the articles are very interesting, so it's slightly addictive.  I just have to filter out the bitching though, as that serves no useful purpose.

Update on the motorcylcle boy.

I haven't seen him at work for a few weeks, neither at his home. Then it seemed someone else lives at the place where he stayed. So I asked one of his neighbors: he has moved to a few kilometers away. And the other cute boy (I often saw them together, sometimes shirtless) is back in Surin!

At least I learnt a new word: Philips screwdriver is ไขควงสี่แฉก in Thai.

I finally borrowed a Philips screwdriver from work and assembled the table myself (now that I need it for my laptop). The bottle of Leo is still in my fridge.

Sorry that I can't provide a happy ending for the story. Out of about 500 people who live in the slum I walk past every day on my way back from work, these are the only two fit for sex, and exactly these two move away! (The two fishing boys live in the same slum, but the other way, so I have to make a detour of 100 meters to walk past their house.)

Guest Devint6669

Christian, as Devint would say, you are a "dirty boy"!

How you know i would say that.....But you got it right , But  in fact i would say more like that (-Ho!! you are such a dirty boy)