Guest scottishguy

What Drives People to Create Hydras?

Guest timmberty

right thats enough for me .. other than a few i think its fair to say you all deserve each other.

enjoy your love in .

how nice is was to watch the schoolkids play, but soon got boring again.

sg.fh joing forces to ward off evil ... 10 out of 10 ..

that was a little grander no ? ta ta

KT, I'm sorry you find the question "vague" - I honestly think it's quite a straightforward, open-ended question " What Drives People to Create Hydras" - and various members have had little difficulty in putting forward their views, as you yourself have.

Of course I have my own theories why people do this - but that does not mean I'm not interested in what others think.

Mostly my own ideas of why people behave in this way chime with what has been posted already:

1. A sense of inadequacy and a very lonely existance on the part of the individual, may lead to multiple ID's being created in order to "agree" with each other - thus affording some sense of others agreeing with and taking notice of him. 

2. A desire to be "in control" - to dictate the direction of any debate or any board.  Where an individual knows himself to be insufficiently literate or intelligent to make coherent and convincing arguments, he may invent multiple IDs to facilitate his limited contributions   . 

3. A desire to "play games" and manipulate people in cyberspace -  in way the individual could never do in real life.

:hi:

Okay, I used too many words. Simple version---All you say about hydra users like the man you mentioned in your first post is likely correct. However, if you try to paint all hydra users that way, you would be wrong. Too general for every case. Your question should not be people who use hydras, but this person who uses hydras, or these people like this person. Clear, I hope.

Guest scottishguy

OK I get you now - and I can just about see a case where an otherwise respected person might take a one-off decision to create a  different ID to contribute on a single issue. I think that's the point you're making?

But when it gets to the stage that a person has multiple identities on multiple boards, and that person is not responding to the   debate but creating the debate and then contributing to the debate under different IDs to back up what his various alter-egos have posted - then I maintain that is bizarre and unbalanced behaviour.

Would you not agree?

Would you not agree?

No because, without naming names, I know someone who does that and she has a perfectly good reason for doing so. As i said she has at least four names and possibly many more. I will say she does not argue with herself, but she has posted on the same subject with different names. Nor have I ever seen her use two names to attack one person. I will tell you the names and who in a PM if you would like.

Guest scottishguy

I shall certainly look forward to learning what valid reason anybody could possibly have for employing at least FOUR different IDs and using those different IDs to post differing or similar opinions on the same topic, - thus deceiving all the other members and contributors.

It might also be useful to point out that Boards often have a policy that only ONE ID is allowed - therefore this person (who's confidentiality I shall of course respect) may well be breaking the rules of the board he is posting on.