Guest thaiworthy

The Puzzle Thread

Guest thaiworthy

Put your puzzles here, if you got any. Here's my first, pretty easy:

Hint:

Charles Dickens

Puzzle:

:-) of X's  . . .  :-( of X's

What is the famous quote, and what is the book?

Guest Jovianmoon

An American POW who speaks perfect German with no accent, escapes from a camp in Germany and manages to acquire clothing resembling that of a local.

He walks into a bar and orders a drink.

The barman immediately recognises him as a non-German impostor and calls the Gestapo.

Why did the barman suspect him as a non-German impostor?

[This is so silly you'll kick yourself if you don't get the answer]

Guest thaiworthy

There is a scene in Inglourious Basterds in which an American imposter orders two beers with his forefinger and middle finger. He is not a POW, and I doubt this is the answer JM is looking for. However, his identity is discovered because Germans use the the thumb and finger to indicate the quantity of two, as in ordering two beers.

I don't think this is a silly answer, but at least I'm not kicking myself.

Commence to kicking as I can't figure it out.  Based on the premise, the barman couldn't have recognized an issue with either the clothing or the voice.  Hmmm....so it has to be something with the man himself (is he a black man?) or how/what he ordered.  You got me.

Guest fountainhall

I think Bob may have it - he's African American. Either than or he orders a Mint Julep!

There is a scene in Inglourious Basterds . . . 

I recently saw that on TV and thought Christoph Waltz who plays the Nazi was just amazing. I reckoned he should have walked away with the Best Supporting Actor Oscar, not realising that he did!

Guest thaiworthy

I think Bob may have it - he's African American.

BOB is African-American?! He's sure passing well. I should have guessed by his athletic body and fine physique. Also, I heard he dances well and is very good at basketball.  Who would have guessed?

BOB is African-American?!

Perhaps.  I do know that when I return from a trip back to the states with a tan, the beloved points at my arms and starts screaming "chao naa!" (rice farmer!)  Guess I need to start using skin-whitening creams. 

Guest scottishguy

Based only on my travels to Berlin, could it have been that: 

1. It was a naked bar? - or - 

2. The POW wasn't blotto drunk at 10am, so they knew he wasn't a german local?

:p

Guest Jovianmoon

...is he a black man?

Yes. Good on you Bob.

I told you it was silly - rather than obscure. Some were looking for little clues in the wording. I probably could have worded it better to avoid making it seem possibly obscure.

That one I heard around a camp fire during a school hiking trip when I was a teenager. So don't blame me, blame my geography teacher!  ;)

Well that's official, we can all stop scratching our heads. Really and truly, it could have been many of the things already mentioned, they would have been just as valid. I'm not sure it even counts as a 'puzzle' - surely a puzzle can be worked out logically and has only one possible answer. Good fun anyway, despite my nit-picking!

Guest fountainhall

You are forgetting about lateral thinking, Rogie!!

Here's an example.

You are driving down the road in your two-seater car on a bad stormy night, when you pass by a bus stop and you see three people waiting for the bus:

1. An old lady who looks as if she is about to die.

2. An old friend who once saved your life.

3. The perfect partner you have been dreaming about.

Which one would you choose to offer a ride to, knowing that there could only be one passenger in your car? Think before you continue reading.

This is a moral/ethical dilemma that was once allegedly used as part of a job application for 200 applicants. The obvious answers are -

1. You could pick up the old lady, because she is going to die, and thus you should save her first. Or -

2. You could take the old friend because he once saved your life, and this would be the perfect chance to pay him back. But -

3. You may never, ever be able to find your perfect mate again.

But what did the successful candidate say he would do?

Puzzles are a more interesting and diverse group than I thought, so yes the one FH has set is one of many types of puzzles and it isn't necessary to have just one 'solution', although obviously in some kinds such as jigsaws or crosswords there is only one correct solution.

Koko's on the right track, so looking at it from various angles I would prioritise and put the old lady first, perfect mate second and old pal last. It depends on how convoluted you are allowed to be in your answer, so if you just have to say which one you would stop for without explanation it would be rather unsatisfying. If you are allowed to explain the reasoning for your choice that's better. So I'd say stop for the perfect mate and ask her to get in your car, chances are she'd say 'get lost' and you could then enquire after the old lady who might turn out to be quite ok when you take a closer look, finally you can greet your old pal and give him the lift.

Guest fountainhall

it isn't necessary to have just one 'solution'

That's part of their fun - and frustration, because thinking out of the box throws up several scenarios, not always perfectly logical.

I'd say stop for the perfect mate and ask her to get in your car

Your perfect mate is a WOMAN?????  :shok:

Your perfect mate is a WOMAN?????  :shok:

I'm afraid so! I like the company of men, but not sure I'd ever want one 'for keeps'. A bisexual's lot is not a happy one when it comes to choosing! Five years ago I might have said the opposite; in five years time I may feel that way again. It's fine being bi-sexual if you just want to play around, but if you decide you want to settle down with one particular partner . . . decisions  . . . decisions.