Guest thaiworthy

15-yr-old Jack Andraka Invents Improved Cancer Test

Guest thaiworthy

I don't know if this kid is gay, or will be, but he certainly deserves mention here regardless. He's a very sweet and modest young man who does not give up. He solicited 200 researchers with proposals to work in their labs, but got rejected. Now that he's won top prize at the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair, he's turning some heads. 

This story is incredibly interesting. Here is a video describing his project:

Jack Andraka enjoys mountain biking, whitewater rafting, kayaking, and science. According to his Facebook page, he’s a fan of Beavis and ButtheadFamily Guy and The Simpsons. Oh yeah—when Jack was 15-years-old he also created a new diagnostic test for pancreatic cancer that is 28 times faster, 28 times less expensive and over 100 times more sensitive than the current diagnostic tests. And, in case that’s not impressive enough, the test also works for ovarian and lung cancer.

His diagnostic test earned him first prize at theIntel International Science and Engineering Fair, the world’s largest pre-college science research competition (the photo is from the competition).

I love Jack’s modesty. Interviewed before the fair, he said, “I’m incredibly excited. It’s like the Olympics of science fairs. It’s just amazing to be here—even if I don’t get a prize.” Well, Jack Andraka did win, receiving about $100,000 in prize money ($75,000 from the grand prize and over $25,000 from other smaller prizes).  The high schooler said he will put the money toward college tuition.

It was after a close family friend died of pancreatic cancer that Jack became interested in finding a better early-detection diagnostic test. Unfortunately, pancreatic cancer is usually detected too late to save the patient.

Jack said the solution came to him during his high school biology class. He was secretly reading an article about nanotubes while the teacher was talking about antibodies. Jack said the two ideas came together in his head, and he thought he could combine what the teacher was saying with what he knew about nanotubes to create an early detection test for Pancreatic cancer.

http://www.bradaronson.com/jack-andraka/

Guest fountainhall

Quite extraordinary! The guy has to be a genius! The 5-year survival rate for pancreatic cancer is only 4%, mostly because it is so difficult to diagnose in the early stages. The chances are his discovery will save tens of thousands of lives - if not more.

Guest thaiworthy

I hope I survive to see where he is 10-15 years from now. Do I see a Nobel in his future? I bet a few big pharmaceutical companies are swatting their managers on the back of their heads with "why didn't you think of that?"