Guest fountainhall

Flawed "Flight"!

Guest fountainhall

Watched the movie “Flight” last night. It’s had pretty mixed reviews. Mine is no recommendation. Denzel Washington gives a fine performance – but Oscar material? I didn’t think so. And how on earth the original script got nominated, totally beats me. Apparently it took the screenwriter 12 years to finish it. A 12-year old could have done better!

Without giving too much of the game away, the story is about an airline captain with problems (Washington) and the aircraft he is piloting on a short US domestic flight. Something goes wrong and the aircraft descends in an uncontrollable dive. Lots of realistic action. Washington decides on a highly unusual manoeuvre to get the plane out of the dive and level again. It works. He then manages to level the aircraft once more for a pretty nifty landing in a field.

Technically, there’s just no way in real life that plane could have been brought down without all on board being killed. Even if the manoeuvre which corrected the dive had been possible, once the plane leveled out the ‘fault’ would immediately have put it back into dive mode - and nose first into the ground.

Several blog sites discuss the technical aspects of the dive. Some are complimentary about some of the detail. I tend to agree with one comment – “Worst aviation sequence from just about every standpoint.” But I guess, it’s just a movie!

The script is pretty pathetic. Two of the lead actors are unbelievable caricatures, and the drama at the end is just so predictable. Bob Zemakis may have made some good films. This isn’t one of them.

Guest Jovianmoon

As something of an aviation enthusiast, I take your post as a review of sorts FH. I've only seen the previews, but the sight of an airliner inverted 180 at such low altitude on a supposed emergency approach leads me to agree with your viewpoint on the realism - admittedly I haven't seen the whole film yet. 

Sheesh, I couldn't imagine anyone trying to bring even an Extra 300 in on an emergency approach like that, let alone an airliner.

Guest fountainhall

Wait till you see what happens when he gets back to level flight. Now THAT is totally impossible given the circumstances.

Wait till you see what happens when he gets back to level flight. Now THAT is totally impossible given the circumstances.

I look at this movie at a more basic level.  My review is that it just plain stinks and the ending sucks.