Guest thaiworthy

One Giant Leap for Mankind in Texas

Guest thaiworthy

Want to feel good? Watch this video.

Ever felt persecuted for being gay? Watch this video.

Want to know just how many people really do accept you for what you are? Watch this video.

My ex-boyfriend now lives in Farmer's Branch, Texas where this video was filmed. It is a candid camera "mini-documentary" catching ordinary people standing up for gay rights.  I find it reassuring that homophobia is dying in the world and this video is a small testament to that fact. I hope you will find it as comforting as I did, and appreciate the effort the producers made in making it. This is a milestone, or at least a very impressive step.

Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BZ6UF-3rNDI

Does anyone participating in this forum have female members of their family or friends who are in a same-sex relationship?

I'm not trying to be nosy here, but it'd be interesting to know of their experiences, good or bad.

I have no female friends who are in lesbian relationships, and the only (distant) relative, living in Australia, I have only met once and that was many years ago. I suspect her experience was far from unusual. She'd had two children with two different men, both of whom had done a runner soon afterwards, so her two daughters had never known a father. During my visit she was in a relationship with another woman and I understand they have since split up and she has a new girlfriend. It is not hard to see the reasons for her 180 degree about-turn. She was perfectly civil, but even though I was staying in her house, at her invitation, she didn't open up to me and I felt unable to broach the subject. It was a private thing and I wouldn't have felt comfortable intruding on that. As regards the presence of my relative's girlfriend, that was not a problem to me and it was clear the two children were living in a supportive loving home.

Those are just the barebones of that particular relative. I have no way of knowing that woman's inner feelings and how she would self-identify her sexuality both past and present.

When one considers the numbers of absent fathers, poor fathers and downright bad and even evil men, it seems to me that, especially as any lingering stigma attached to lesbians openly living together and raising children fades away, the numbers of lesbian relationships will see a steady increase. They may or may not involve children, but if they do, rather like in the video in the OP, the issue of suitablilty of raising kids is likely to find most people supportive. Not everyone will be of course but there will always be conservative folks who don't like the idea of two women living together, let alone raising children between them. If I was asked "what's better, raising kids as a 'single mother' or within a stable lesbian relationship"? that's got to be no contest.

There is currently debate within British society concerning whether lesbian couples should qualify for certain medical procedures. Here is the outline:

"Under an expansion of NHS-funded fertility treatment, the National Institute
for Health and Clinical Excellence (Nice) will recommend that lesbian
couples be offered six cycles of artificial insemination and, if that fails,
IVF."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9872984/More-IVF-for-gay-couples-and-over-40s-on-the-NHS.html