Guest fountainhall

HAPPY YEAR OF THE SNAKE!

Guest fountainhall

As abang1961 has pointed out in another thread, it’s the lunar New Year on Sunday. So -

KONG XI FA CAI!
GUNG HEI FAT CHOY!

HAPPY YEAR OF THE SNAKE TO EVERYONE!

We know message Boards hide the odd snake or two just lurking to slither from their lair to inject their venom into innocent posters. But for genuine Snakes, those of you celebrating a birthday over the next 12 lunar cycles, here for all to see are some of your characteristics.

THE WATER SNAKE 2013
Water Snakes are influential and insightful. They manage others well and tend to be good for organizations to utilize as staff. They are quite motivated and intellectual, very determined and resolute about success. They will have what they desire, despite the conclusion or outcome they generate because it is worth it to them to not only be recognized for their efforts, but to be rewarded as well. They are affectionate with their families and friends but do not show this side of their personality to colleagues or business partners.

MONEY AND THE SNAKE
A Snake’s worst nightmare is jumping head first into a financial deal or a shopping spree. The Snake can be successful as long as he avoids extemporaneous spending. Although he is intuitive, the Snake will often dive right into decisions without weighing the consequences, which can cause him financial ruin.

THE SNAKE ON VACATION
Snakes love to vacation. They get a great deal of pleasure out of just being lazy. And they love luxurious things, often spending their money on material desires they probably don’t need. When a Snake goes on vacation, he really goes on vacation. Fancy restaurants, expensive health clubs and spas, anything in which they can fully indulge themselves. Their getaways must be fully equipped to pamper their every want, or the Snake will become stressed.

THE SNAKE LOVE PARTNER
Water Snakes are influential and insightful. They manage others well and tend to be good for organizations to utilize as staff. They are quite motivated and intellectual, very determined and resolute about success. They will have what they desire, despite the conclusion or outcome they generate because it is worth it to them to not only be recognized for their efforts, but to be rewarded as well. They are affectionate with their families and friends but do not show this side of their personality to colleagues or business partners.

http://www.usbridalguide.com/special/chinesehoroscopes/Snake.htm

With Chinese estimated to be making more than 3 billion trips by plane, train and bus travelling to and from their home towns, many bearing gifts, major brand Names have been jumping on the Snake bandwagon with special creations. Below are several examples.

High-end Japanese denim brand EVISU – wonder if the snakeskin is on the back or the front? And might it indicate a double something-or-other? Japanese wishful thinking, I expect!
post-1892-0-61905300-1360295473_thumb.jpeg

Starbucks Mug
post-1892-0-78316300-1360295560_thumb.jpeg

Air Jordan’s US$300 Year of the Snake Sneakers
post-1892-0-33493700-1360295608_thumb.jpeg

Bloomingdale’s nod to the Chinese tradition of giving red money-filled packets at New Year
post-1892-0-10310300-1360295795_thumb.jpeg

For a fun and very tongue-in-cheek view of our Chinese friends, who better to look to than those politically incorrect mirth masters Monty Python. This is from an album they made in 1980.

Guest fountainhall

For all the predictions, the Year of the Snake has not been a particularly auspicious one throughout the 20th century. The China Daily's weekly edition, bundled up with The Nation on Fridays, today talks about the traits of famous people born under this sign - notably wisdom, resourcefulness and intelligence. It then lists some famous personalities - Mao (inevitably), Mahatma Gandhi, John F Kennedy, Abraham Lincoln and Pablo Picasso. Given that one was a murderous tyrant and three of the five were assassinated, I'd have thought the virtues of this sign are clearly somewhat overrated!

As for stock markets, the Snake's record is even more dismal. Both the Great Depression of 1929 and the dot com bubble burst of 2001 occurred under its watch. Snake bites can indeed be lethal! On the other hand, its ability to wriggle into all sorts of shapes means it can, should it so wish, turn itself into a figure 8. And 8, which rhymes with prosperity in both Cantonese and Mandarin, can mean good luck. Yeah! Tell that to Lincoln, Gandhi, Kennedy!  :shok:  

Watch out for the poisonous ones. Play safely.

I am a professional, and according to some people, I don't need to play safely.

:acute:

Guest abang1961

Who cant forget...I am listing the horrible events that occured in the previous 2 Year of the Snake

1989 4th June -Tian An Men (Beijing's Student Revolution) incident

2001 11th Sep-New York Twin Towers bombing

So this year, let us have WORLD PEACE and NO WAR.... love, abang

A Chinese phrase: Gong Xi Fa Cai (Mandarin), Kong Hei Fatt Chou (Cantonese)

which means WISh you have a prosperous year

Guest thaiworthy

I am a professional, and according to some people, I don't need to play safely.

:acute:

You must be Chiang Mai's only fully-licensed snake charmer. Bob is still trying to get his learner's permit.

MONEY AND THE SNAKE

A Snake’s worst nightmare is jumping head first into a financial deal or a shopping spree. The Snake can be successful as long as he avoids extemporaneous spending. Although he is intuitive, the Snake will often dive right into decisions without weighing the consequences, which can cause him financial ruin.

A Chinese phrase: Gong Xi Fa Cai (Mandarin), Kong Hei Fatt Chou (Cantonese)

which means WISh you have a prosperous year

Those impetuous wilful snakes, why don't they go in tail first if they are so liable to lose their heads in the mad rush to accomplish their desires.

By the looks of it, somebody born in the Year of the Snake will be less likely to have much prosperity spread over his entire life. Those that are successful risk blowing it. Perhaps the snake's difficulties are an opportunity for sneaky-minded rivals to steal a march and if a business deal is involved take advantage of the snake's perceived weaknesses. Wow betide those however, who attempt to out-manoevre a snake and are rumbled! What happens when two snakes collide!? Are snakes all the same or are some like grass snakes, just slithering away harmlessly whilst others love to spit their venom and cause their victim to die an agonising death?

I understand, or at least can follow the tradition, of the Chinese Year of. . . series, so that an individual's character is forecast to fit certain traits. But I don't understand how the Snake Year, i.e. 1989, 2001, 2013 etc can have any influence over world events. Are snake years different to tiger years or monkey years or whatever?

(I don't want to seem heartless or want to spoil the fun, and I am quite happy to play along here, but I don't have any 'belief' in any of this, just as I don't believe in astrology. If anyone seriously believes this Year of.... calendar I am 'all ears').

Presumably if people believe this "Year of the Dog/Snake/Rat" stuff, then the birth rate would fall in the "bad" years ? After all if you're only allowed one offspring, why not time the birth carefully?

Guest thaiworthy

Presumably if people believe this "Year of the Dog/Snake/Rat" stuff, then the birth rate would fall in the "bad" years ? After all if you're only allowed one offspring, why not time the birth carefully?

This must certainly be true. I think I had a bad year in 2012. I didn't give a single birth. In fact, I haven't had a good year since 1951, which was the year of my own birth. That would be the Year of the Rabbit. Hmmm . . . aren't rabbits accredited with accelerated birth rates? That would have been a good year, then-- and I haven't had another one like it since, no matter how hard I've tried.

Guest abang1961

Guys, it is correct to say some Chinese zodiac years have higher birth rates than the others..

Globally, more babies of Asian-descent were born in the year of the Dragon.

And most Asian parents avoid having Tiger girls 虎女... Rooster girls 鸡女 = 妓女(in Mandarin it sounds like whores!)

Guest fountainhall

z909 will clearly not have much truck with this set of predictions from Jenifer Bonito, a lady known as The Hollywood Feng Shui Master since 2008. Apparently, “her business acumen and experience has helped executives and individuals alike to achieve their goals with money, relationships and health.”

Well, you could have fooled me because here’s part of her list of what may come in the upcoming year:

* There could be a rise in fire related disasters, such as nuclear explosions.

* Famous and important people (figureheads, political figures, etc.) can be made infamous during this year.

• The economy will continue to improve.

* There could be revolting by the citizens because of the oppressive power the government has over the people.

* The president that comes into power in 2013 as well as in other countries—like China’s new president, Mr. Xi Jinping—will have unyielding, unprecedented control over the people.

* The year of the water snake will be what you make of it so make it a great year. The power is in your hands.

Now I’m not sure I’d describe a nuclear explosion as a “fire related disaster”! And to suggest that Xi Jinping would not have unyielding, unprecedented control over his people might indeed indicate that the Chinese people will be “revolting”.

But now we know. The power is in our hands.

Bunkum!

http://www.elephantjournal.com/2012/12/year-of-the-water-snake-feng-shui-predictions-for-2013/

Now I’m not sure I’d describe a nuclear explosion as a “fire related disaster”!

Nuclear explosions don't figure highly in traditional astrology. Or religious textbooks for that matter.

most Asian parents avoid having ... Rooster girls 鸡女 = 妓女(in Mandarin it sounds like whores!)

I don't like the sound of that - if what you say is correct Abang, it implies if the unborn infant is a girl she will be aborted. I know you haven't said that but it is well-known boys are generally preferred owing to the one-child policy, as well as this other reason. Logically there must be years when a boy is not sought and a girl is. In addition, I don't like the reason that just because 'it sounds like whores' girls should be avoided. What a load of twaddle! In a country the size of China there must be millions of girls/women born as 'roosters'.

Population of China = 1,354,040,000 (Source: wiki)

divide by 12 = 100,000,000 (rounded down)

divide by 2 = 50,000,000

50,000,000 girls/ women cannot all be whores!

Bunkum!

Unsurprisingly, I agree!

Here is what Miss Bonito/Bonetto has to say for herself:

Known as 'The Hollywood Feng Shui Master,' since 2008, Jennifer has been the soul behind Real Feng Shui SOULutions.

Her mission now is to bring “true” Feng Shui to the world and help as

many people with the tools she’s acquired. She is a certified Master

Practitioner, Certified Master Instructor, and a fellow for the American

College of Classical Feng Shui. She also serves as co-moderator for the

Xuan Kong discussion group. Currently, she is part of the 400 year old

Wu Chang Pai mastery lineage of Grandmaster Yap Cheng Hai, of Kuala

Lumpur, Malaysia, through American Feng Shui Master, Denise

Liotta-Dennis. She is featured on Season 3 of HGTV's show, Selling LA.

Her background includes employment with several Fortune 500

corporations. Jennifer received an MBA from Chapman University in

Orange, CA. Her business acumen and experience has helped executives and

individuals alike to achieve their goals with money, relationships and

health. Having lectured, written several articles, e-books and currently

authored a book on Classical Feng Shui, she continues to educate people

on this ancient science that has been mistranslated and misused

throughout the years

Wow, a 'fellow of the American College of Classical Feng Shui'.

Then, this is another view:

Nonetheless, after Richard Nixon journeyed to the People's Republic of China in 1972, feng shui became marketable in the United States and has since been reinvented by New Age entrepreneurs

for Western consumption. Critics of Contemporary Feng Shui are

concerned that with the passage of time much of the theory behind it has

been lost in translation, not paid proper consideration, frowned upon,

or even scorned. Robert T. Carroll sums up what feng shui has become in

some instances:

...feng shui has become an aspect of interior decorating in the Western

world and alleged masters of feng shui now hire themselves out for hefty

sums to tell people such as Donald Trump which way his doors and other

things should hang. Feng shui has also become another New Age "energy"

scam with arrays of metaphysical products...offered for sale to help you

improve your health, maximize your potential, and guarantee fulfillment

of some fortune cookie philosophy.

wow, fortune cookie philosphy, that sure takes the biscuit for cynicism. I don't think even I could be that scathing!

and did you see that bit about 'alleged masters of feng shui' ? And how does Miss Bonito/Bonetto describe herself?

She is a certified Master Practitioner, Certified Master Instructor . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feng_shui

Guest abang1961

Rogie,

You know how superstitious the Chinese are, right?

I predict there will be less marriages and births since the Snake Year has always been regarded as a "Lousy" year.